AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Guess I missed the news on this one. Blu-ray.com is showing Oct. 4th release and 3D Film Archive handling the restoration. Still on for this year?
Universal hasn't "officially" announced it yet, but it is coming. Fans of 50s 3-D will be very pleased with how this looks and sounds.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Ok, I gotta ask...Bob, given the outstanding (i.e.miraculous) work you have been gifting us with (and I do look at these as gifts), is it possible to get similar results from conversions? I have to think that the 3D conversions we get on major studio blockbuster BDs should look better than they do. Has any studio (or have you) reached out about working on some of their conversions?

I know you primarily handle native 3D. But since current 3D looks so lackluster, I always wonder if it's because of the 2D photography or just laziness/cheapness from the studios/companies handling the conversions ...and if the results would be better with a group like 3D Archives working on them. Not to denigrate the people who work at places like StereoD, etc....but it's hard to accept that what ends up in our hands is the best it can be...especially when I look at clips from SEPTEMBER STORM. (And yes...I know SS is not a conversion.)

(Please don't faint as I know the LAST thing you folks need is more work and that you like to see your families once in a while. But if films like IN THE HEART OF THE SEA could conceivably even approach the quality of SS...well, the mind boggles.)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bob linked above to my blog post about seeing the new master on Blu-ray but I'll say it here as well. It's a terrific disc and should please fans immensely. It is better looking in 3-D than the dual-strip 35mm polarized print I ran back in 2004. And the 3-channel stereo sound is out of this world.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, film113. Perhaps when we catch up with vintage restorations, we'll explore other options. But as of right now, we have at least half a dozen restoration projects in the pipeline with 4 or 5 more pending. Averaging three months per restoration, we're going to be busy for a while!

But shhh, 3-D is supposed to be dead...

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
This was just posted on another site by someone who works in film restoration for a top film laboratory after seeing a test pressing of the 3-D Blu-ray:

I was lucky enough to have seen the screening copy of this and not only is the image amazing, the sound will blow you away... literally. I couldn't believe it could ever sound that good. The dynamic range and the stereo imaging in the soundtrack are incredible. I work with restorations everyday, Bob and Greg did an amazing job, you will not be disappointed. I'm going to order mine after I finish writing this! I hope the studios give you more of their titles to work on Bob. You and Greg put your heart and soul into them and it shows.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We've just previewed our 3-D restoration of IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE for our good friends at Classic Movies and More. Here's their reaction:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts