AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm worried that I'm going to screw something up. I’ve been doing a lot of reading on here but could still use some advise on what to do next after the unit arrives (12/16 ship date). Here's what I'd like to know:

Do I open the shipping box and check the screen for cracks before the driver leaves? (I saw a great post on here by David Fink, who suggested plugging in the set and turning it on by remote to see if the screen comes on while the unit is still in the box). Is this a normal delivery procedure for plasma's? If I do this do I need to notify the shipping company before delivery so the driver doesn't get p****d.

I'm unclear about the wall bracket. Does one come with the unit or do I need to purchase that separately? If so, is there one that's more suitable for a 50" Pio (other than their model) that's going to be mounted over the fireplace in "shaky" CA?

Until I get the wall bracket installed, should I lay the TV flat on the floor screen side up or is it ok to have it lean against the wall on a carpeted floor. Do I keep it in the box or can I unpack it?

After it's set it up and I turn it on, what adjustments will I need to make to get started? I’ll have the PDA 5002 video card to hook up with my DISH PVR 501 as my only video source for now. I read somewhere that there's a second on screen menu that I can access but I’m not sure if that's something I should be messing around with or is it for a service tech to use.

Thanks for the help . . .this is a great forum that gave me the confidence to make a big screen plasma purchase, something I would never have done otherwise.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Alright, the driver may or may not wait (probably won't). So remove the box top and examine it soon after. Call with any complaints immediately. Leave the plasma in the box bottom. Plug it in and turn it on.

If you wish, you can go into integrator mode (turn it off, wait for the light to stop flashing, press menu, then power). In the right hand menu, you can go to the full mask. Do it for white first to check for really dead pixels. [Note: To leave the full mask mode, you have to power off, power on AGAIN in integrator mode with the trick described above, and then shut off the full mask.] You can check the other color masks if you'd like by cycling through that procedure.

You will need to order a wall mount. Your two best choices in my mind are from Peerless or Chief. Do you want to be able to tilt the thing downward or not? That is the question you must first answer. Chief has a great earthquake rating on their mount. Nevertheless, I went with Peerless because of price and easier right-to-left shifting. Search on this forum for posts on mounts. (Note: I'm in Northern California and believe that propely mounting the Peerless mount is reasonable earthquake protection... I also got the tilt mount because I'm above a fireplace and it would've looked weird otherwise.)

You must not UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES lay the plasma flat on its face. The only time you should ever do that is for a few minutes to install the 5002 card. And I mean a few minutes only and then make sure it is totally flat and that the screen is protected by clean, debris free towels or sheets (or the included foam sheet). Otherwise, it must remain upright AT ALL TIMES.

You can use the plasma in the box bottom for a few days until you get it wall mounted. Do not leave it up against the wall or anything like that. It won't be stable. In fact, it's only reasonably stable in the box bottom. If you have something to screw the feet into, you might do that instead, but if not, just be careful and put something in front of it to catch it in a minor quake or somesuch (like an ottoman in front of a coffee table with the plasma on the coffee table).

Need more info? Let us know.

Mark

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am glad to see I am not the only "worry-wort" ;)

From what I've read, wall brackets are separate a purchase. (PlasmaExtreme.us often mentioned as the best deals for wall mounts -- if you can put up with PayPal. )

BTW, apparently its not uncommon to get a deal that includes a table stand.

I think laying the display on its back is a bad idea. Again from what I've seen the standing the box upright is the best bet.

I recommend you download the Pioneer documentation and read it. That's what I'm doing while I wait excitedly/nervously for my baby to arrive. ;) Note chapter four is all about the different ways to mount the display.

BTW, The thread with Dave (TrainerDave) Fink's instructions is here:
Out-of-the-Box acceptance test

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you live in the north like I do, Your plasma may be delivered very cold. Mine was below freezing! It would not be good to plug it in, and turn it on, if it is really cold. Bring it inside and open the box and let it set for an hour or two until it warms up and all the condensation has evaporated. In that hour or two you should be able to down several beers thereby guaranteeing that the panel will look great when you turn it on!

my $0.02

·
Registered
360 Posts
While waiting for the wall mount I would vote for laying it flat on the floor, then go ahead and plug it into your HD receiver/DVD player and enjoy the show while standing over the plasma screen. (Don't spill any drinks or popcorn on it, though.) :)

Seriously, if you are going to have to wait for a while on the mounting hardware I personally would not be able to handle just keeping the plasma in the box. Install the included feet and enjoy the view in the meantime.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boy I'm really gonna show my lack of knowledge with this one Mark.

Before I retired I had watched both slide presentations and video on Plasma screens in business meetings, but if you gave me $1,000 for every dead pixel I could find I'd be broke. Can anyone give me a clue as to what they look like (do I have to be at a certain distance or angle) If I go to BB or CC will I see some on any of their displays or do you have to have the white screen on for them to be seen? ( I focused on PQ while I was comparing the Pio and Penny but nothing else seemed to stand out as being unusual)

I guess I better get busy and find a wall bracket real quick and I hope there will be some feet in the box to stand it on in the meantime. I'll have do something to keep it from falling in case we get a "shaker" and was wondering if anything can touch the glass? (like if it's propped up with a seat cushion on either side)

Thanks everyone for the great ideas and suggestions. This sure is some ride!! :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
If a pixel is stuck on, it is easy to see in an all black screen. If a pixel is dead and will not light up, an all white screen makes it easy to spot. In any case you have to stand right in front of the panel to see them. From a normal viewing distance they can not be seen unless there are several clustered together.

There is much more info in the FAQ on this as well.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Net Addict,

Use the Feet that is supplied with the Plasma and connect them to the Plasma according the the Manual. This will work just fine in the interim.

Dave

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
OK, fizbin's post is a joke but is also dangerously wrong. These things CANNOT BE LEFT IN A HORIZONTAL POSITION FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME. They are specifically shipped upright for a reason. You can lay it flat temporarily to install the video card or for whatever else a service tech might want to do, but if you leave it laying flat for 3-4 days, you will run a serious risk of cracking the glass and you will have no warranty coverage for that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Net Addict,

I am/was using the supplied "feet" while i was shopping for an AV stand.

I also have the table stand but I am not sure if I should replace the "feets" as they look cool and I do not see a need to spend the extra bucks on the table stand. (I do not have the option of wall mounting)

I used the supplied screws to secure the unit....the feets look very stable-althogh I would prefer to drill couple of holes on the AV stand to secure the "feets".

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
dmamsa:

If you're talking about a Pioneer panel, they recommend securing the feet to whatever surface they're mounted on, otherwise, it won’t be very stable. The following is a quote from the technical manual:

Quote:
Make sure to secure the attachment stand to the display platform using M8 bolts (commercially available) 25 mm longer than the thickness of the platform.
I wouldn’t get paranoid about leaning the panel up against something if required for a few days. I had mine leaning against a wall for a couple of weeks before mounting it on the wall. It was sitting on a carpet and standing close to vertical. Mind you, I have a dedicated HT room and no inquisitive children or pets, which are practical considerations.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Hey Jim,

I think the bolting part is primarily for securing against earthquakes or someone bouncing a ball against the plasma (causing it to topple over).

Another alternative (or even an addition) is to secure the plasma using two bolts in the wall behind the plasma at the sides and using a secure connection to tie the top of the plasma to that wall. I have it set up this way to avoid having to bolt the plasma down into the cabinet.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Rogo,

OK, I was obviously and intentionally wrong, but was I at least funny?

As for securing the plasma, we went the route that Ofer suggests. While you can screw the feet into whatever you are setting the plasma on to provide some level of earthquake protection, this was not an option for us. The plasma is temporarily (six months or so) sitting on top of our (overpriced but beautiful) Salamander cabinetry; after that it goes on the wall. No holes in the Salamander allowed.

What we ended up doing goes like this. We went to Home Depot and bought a couple of extra bolts (the M8s) that are used to screw on the feet, a couple of big washers, some 1/8" thick vinyl coated cable, a couple of 4" long eye bolts and some hardware to create loops at both ends the end of the cable.

We created a cable loop through the eye bolts, and screwed the eye bolts all the way into studs. Then we create a small loop in the other end of the cable. Next we took the bolts (the sames as the feet mounting bolts) with the fat washer and inserted them into the loop at the other end of the cable, and screwed the bolts into a couple of the extra holes in the back of the Pioneer (intended for screwing on wall-mounting hardware).

When the house shakes apart the Pioneer is going to be hanging to the wall (wall mounted after all ). This is the kind of project that I probably would have procrastinated on for a while, but we had a swarm of small earthquakes nearby about three weeks after setting up the plasma. It provided the requisite motivation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.