AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPS tracking says my projector (Panny 75U) was delivered this afternoon...woohoo. After almost two weeks of hassle I got a vendor who actually had one in stock and shipped it when they said they would.....imagine that! :)

The bad news: I am at work and I have known for 2 hours now. The wait is killing me!!

I'll post some impressions tonight or tomorrow. Still have to finish hanging the Parkland screen, and build a mount for the Panny. Looks like it is step ladder time for tonight :)

Rob

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, after having the projector for two weeks now I can post some OPINIONS.

My video setup is:

Panasonic PT-LC75U.

Panasonic RP91 progressive scan DVD player.

These are connected via a component cable in combination with a vga breakout cable.

Source material is all DVD at this point.

Overall, I love it.

Positives:

1. Almost silent, I can hear my computer over it, and the computer is inside a closed desk cabinet 15 feet from the viewing area. The projector is right above the sweet spot.

2. Good colors.

3. Very smooth overall picture in almost every area.

4. No jaggies or banding that I can see.

5. No screen door to my eyes at 13' from the 16:9 104" diagonal screen.

Negatives:

1. Black level of course. It is an LCD, what else would you expect? With my screen (see below) and the black velvet masking it all the way around, my completely light controlled room with black ceiling and dark walls, it is more than acceptable.

2. The remote!! It is too small, and I don't like it :) . Just my opinion of course. I will be programming a new Palm M100 I got free from work soon, so it won't matter anyway.

For the money, and the other units I saw in person (Sanyo 60ht, Mitsu X1 or something like that, and a couple of other LCDs and a DLP at work) you can't beat it for the price. Honestly, I am just as impressed with the 75U, if not more so, than I was with the Sanyo 60HT I saw. Yes the Sanyo was in a high end AV shop, and may not have been setup to it's potential...yadda yadda yadda.

The screen: I actually ended up scrapping the Parkland screen (see my thread in the Screens forum). I just could not get it to stay flat on the wall. It had waves and bubbles all over, even after staples, glue, hair dryers, irons, you name it. This drove me nuts so I ended up making a 1x3 frame and stretching blackout fabric over it like a canvas. This is MUCH better in every area IMO than the Parkland. It is perfectly flat, not hard to build, and has better black levels (yes it does, I hung them side by side and compared with 4 different DVDs for an hour). It also does not blind you on bright scenes like the Parkland did for me. This is probably because I had to compensate for low black levels with the brightness and contrast on the Parkland. The Parkland was good overall, but this is better IMO.

Hope this was helpful to those looking at this projector.

Let me know if anyone has a question.

Regards,

Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.