Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think we should start a pool on when Cain comes out of the closet and what type of machine he selects.

So here's my pick: I say Cain comes out on 10/1/01 selecting a Sharp Z9000.

Why, you ask? I may be wrong on the date but I followed a lot of the same threads Cain has posted in. I would guess Cain is torn between the Sharp and Seleco's HT300. OK, the Sharp may not meet Cain's requirement for a good internal scaler. However, the HT300 won't be out for a while yet and who know's for sure how it will perform. So, since Cain has made his bold statement now, my bet is he's decided on the Sharp.

OK Cain, I've got you figured out. Do me a favor and wait till tomorrow to come out of the closet. I want to win the jackpot.

------------------

Jim Lauritzen

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I think Cain will be waiting at least 2 more months to check out the Seleco HT300 and the new Marantz DLP but, if he had to buy this week he would probably get the Sharp 9000 DLP. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Tom

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Yep, that looks like a Sharp 9000 spec to me. 'bout time you joined in the insanity here, you held out even longer than I did!

Dan

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
My wife asked me what was the first projector I looked at, and really wanted badly..

I had to think a minute, then I remembered it was the Advent VideoBeam.

Who here remembers that projector?? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Not many I'll wager.. The year was 1977, and that was the coolest thing I had ever seen. As a College student affording something like that was out of the question.

As a child I had small movie projectors (8mm and 16MM) and dreamed of the day that I may have my own movie theater in my house.

Anyhow I have been looking at projectors ever since then, I look a while, decide the time is not right, then put it on the back-burner for a few years, then start again.

The Digital Projector's improvements have gotten me to move, finally.

I was not trying to generate any suspense here with my post and I'm flattered that so many are curious about my decision. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I have decided to cast my lot with the Seleco HT300.

I realy liked the Seleco 200, but the pixels were too noticeable for me, as they are with the 200DM. The colors the Selecos can produce, and the placement flexibility they offer are terrific.

I'll post a detailed review when I finally get my hands on the projector.

Take care gang,

-- Cain

·
Registered
464 Posts
The Seleco 300 isn't in the 10K neighborhood though, is it? I've seen $15,000 quoted on this forum... unless you know something we don't!

[This message has been edited by Augie (edited 09-30-2001).]

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Regarding the price, 11K or 12K is also in the 10K neighborhood, just uptown a bit!

I didn't say I would be able to get everything on that list, I said those were my criteria http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

I have not seen the Seleco HT300, in fact to my knowledge, nobody has seen the final shipping model yet. Seleco has demo'd an advanced engineering sample in several places but they are still working on the final model.

I'm guessing that this projector will be the 200DM with better resolution, and a Faroudja Scaler, and more brightness, which sounds pretty good to me..

-- Cain

·
Registered
464 Posts
Cain, I just got done removing my "have you seen the 300" question from my post when I saw your reply. I realized you hadn't said you'd seen it. But like you said, it's a Seleco!

Will the 300 have a 1394 or DVI input? That seems to be one of the things preventing the Sharp 9000 from being the current no-brainer purchase.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Cain- I wish the best with your choice, but just have a few comments. What are you going to do with running all your source signals to the HT300? Since the Faroudja processing is at the HT300 all your source signals will have to run there to benefit. If you buy their remote interface, I believe that is in the neighborhood of another $1K. I was also waiting and waiting to select a projector, and the price Jason at AVS offered for the Sharp 9000Z and Faroudja NRS was too good to pass up. I can run all my source signals to the NRS (CAL CL-2500 DVD component direct, S-video and composite through Proceed PAV) and output only one 5 wire RGBHV to the projector (BetterCables/ Silver Serpent). I also found myself missing a lot of new and exciting DVD's and other shows with my family, trying to figure out when all these new projectors would be released. I thought about the new Dwin also, and e-mailed them for a target date, but they never responded. I figured waiting for the HT300 would actually take a lot longer than I wanted, especially if there are delays for the November ship date. As far as DVI goes, there have been several threads regarding distance issues that have yet to be resolved, and since my projector needs a 35 foot run, I don't thing I'll be missing anything right now. I know DVI will be the connection standard in the future, but I figure by the time all the issues are worked out, I might be ready for another projector anyway. I went to see the Sharp before purchasing, and fan noise, no visible rainbow (to my eyes), and a terrific picture were the deciding factor. The HT300 will undoubtedly beat the Z9000 in certain areas, but I think the Z9000 will be very satisfying with the NRS. It's been fun following your journey and enthusiasm for a front projector. I'm sure you'll be all smiles once you get your HT300 up and running! Keep us posted!

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 09-30-2001).]

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Quote:
Replacement bulbs that do not break my bank

Bulbs that last at least 1 year for my viewing
I have yet to see a bulb that will do what you mention above for myself. The bulbs both for the Seleco HT300 and Sharp XV-Z9000 have a life span of 2000 hours. Bulb replacement cost will be interesting though as if cheap enough (sub $300?) the above point is mute......

Gladiator does the Sharp XV-Z9000 have filter pads that must be changed or cleaned? Or does it have a sealed optical path?

Quote:
The HT300 will undoubtedly beat the Z9000 in certain areas
We shall see soon enough.....

Spero D.

[This message has been edited by Spizz (edited 09-30-2001).]

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Spero, I believe the Seleco dlp projectors are the only ones that exist as of now that have a sealed optical path. I think the Sharp 9000 still has a filter that needs cleaning but, I'm not sure.

Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
Filters for the Sharp-------- They are at the rear and on the bottom of the case. They need to be VACUMED after every 100 hours of use according to the manual.

JNR

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Cain

Well done and good choice. Its been a long road for you. I can remember over 14mths ago debating projectors.

I think your choice will work out fine. The Seleco will be on my in my top 3 list "if" I look at doing an upgrade myself. I took a look at the Sharp and while it is basically fine it is not anything great. I think several key areas are missing, and that may mean the Sharp will not be such a good long term buy. I guess their is a penalty in being first out of the starting gate.

IMHO Seleco is a better choice because of colors/scaling and general HT use (history). My only real concern is the lack of a digital input and this may be the only glitch in the HT-300 from what I can see.

With DLP/HD/SD/DVD being digital I want a pure digital signal to the mirrors. Fussy "Sure" but its the future and regaurdless of what people say a pure digital signal all the way, has to be better than all this D-A stuff we keep doing to the signal. I will wait to see my three contenders and see which way I may or may not go.

Great to see you on the finish line and I am sure you will be more than happy with the Seleco.

DavidW

·
Registered
704 Posts
Cain,

Congrats. I too made the decision to go with the HT300 from AVS. I know we had conversed on this issue and we knew what we wanted. If the colors are anything close to the HT200DM, then we have done very good.

I'm just glad the decision process is over. It's one less item I have to worry about, for the HT. Which by the way is due to begin first part of October (construction that is). So the delivery date is just about right for me.

Gladiator -

The CEDIA specials that were offered through AVS took care of the multiple component issue. It was too good to pass up. The folks from AVS know how to take care of you.

Thanks for everyone posting all their reviews, BTW.

------------------

Keith S.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Well gang, my multi-year search for a projector for my soon-to-be-built dedicated basement HT is almost at an end..

My criteria for my first projector were/are:

Native 16:9 panel

At least 720p native resolution

Replacement bulbs that do not break my bank

Bulbs that last at least 1 year for my viewing

Outstanding colors, particularly red and blue

At least 800:1 or greater Contrast Ratio

At least 800 Lumens in 16:9 mode

Little or no visible Pixels at 10 Feet, with 8' screen

No Convergence issues

No need for professional calibration or set-up

No weird digital picture artifacts

No dead or stuck on pixels

Good, even brightness and color, corner to corner

Preferably a top notch built-in scaler

Projector can sit 1'-2' above top of screen

Quiet enough to not require a hush-box

Selling price in the 10K or less neighborhood

It looks like this year, I will finally find a projector that fits all of my requirements (I hope!)..

I cannot begin to thank all the posters here for all the things I have learned, and most notably I want to thank the folks at AVS who run this Forum and do a fantastic job with it.

I also cannot state strongly enough my opinion that anyone looking for the type of HT equipment we all want should always give the AVS folks first shot at your business, particularly if you found out about some piece of hardware here.

-- Cain

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
OK, the suspense is killing me... Which projector do you think you're going to purchase?

/jab

------------------

a moderator at the TiVo Community Forum

·
Registered
9,769 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Cain,

I'm beginning to feel the way I did as a kid when one of my favorite Movie Serials was heading to its last chapter. Will we all be able to stand the suspense until next week?

Will Commander Cain defeat Ming the Merciless for the best projector on the Planet Mongo?

Man I can't wait!

Peter M

·
Registered
111 Posts
I remember the Kloss NovaBeam well. I have always read way too much about audio and Henry Kloss, of course, is an audio pioneer. I remember him saying that he started Advent so he could make money on the audio side to support the video until it got to a point where it supported itself. Well, that never happened, but in between he just happened to create the best selling loudspeaker of all time (at least in the late seventies and early eighties). Plus his company was the first to bring Dolby noise reduction the the then lowly, very low-fi Philips audio cassette. I respect his audio skills and have many times wished his video reasearch and development would have been profitable.

When I was in high school and college we used to go to a pizza chain called "Mr. Gatti's" and all the locations in the south I ever visited had one of those curved screen Kloss projection sets. I have seen very few Mr. Gatti's still around in my region, guess they went the way of the NovaBeam tv.

John

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.