AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come to the realization that I am far too lazy to take the time to swap out posters in my poster frames. Not that I don't love my LOTR posters, but it would be nice to have The Matrix in every now and then (or, gasp, Pocahontas for when the kids are having company) without having to make the effort of swapping out posters.

SO, I spent FAR more effort (and money) building a poster frame that will change posters for me at the flip of a switch. And it is cool beyond belief:

At first glance, this looks like a pretty standard DIY backlit poster frame with room for a couple mylars as well. But wait! Notice the strange block on the left side of the frame. That my friends is where the magic happens.

Flipping that simple switch down causes the posters in my frame to change for me! Here's a behind the scenes look:

As you can see (or maybe not), there is an 8 AA battery holder (attached with some hi-tech masking tape
) that supplies 12v to the DPDT (on-off-on) switch. The switch then allows the current to flow to the electric motor, whose hind end is so prevalent above. Please ignore the extra hole. That is what happens when you measure from the bottom instead of the top and are too lazy to go buy a new piece of wood.

In the next image you will see inside the frame at the top roller, and the ball-chain driven clutch gear. You can get these gears from Levelor, or sewinganddraperysupplies.com. They are called Roll-Ease or some such:

The top roll starts empty and the bottom one starts full. Next image is of the gear that is attached to the motor. It turns the top roll, rolling (or unrolling, depending on which way you flip the switch), which pulls posters from the bottom roll (or allows you to easily rewind the bottom roll when you fill up the top):

And finally, for completeness sake, here is the bottom ball-chain gear. I have removed the clutch from it so it can turn freely. The tension supplied by the top clutch keeps it from un-winding:

What's that, you say? "How can we believe you that it actually changes posters for you?" Well, I have proof! Simply click for a video

I had to crop the edges of the video, so you wouldn't see my ugly mug. You might not have had your coffee yet.

On this frame I currently have 8 posters. The second one will have 30, and if that continues to work, I'll come back and add more to this frame. I can have up to a two inch radius roll, which I estimate to be about 36 posters.

My humble apologies to the poster purists who will no doubt have realized that I had to tape the posters together end-to-end to make this work. With electrical tape. You may commence to flogging me now.

Okay, enough flogging. I am hoping to change the switch to a momentary one, and add some sort of optical switch inside the frame, so that it stops automatically at the next poster. Shouldn't be TOO hard to accomplish. I would LOVE for the final addition to be a microprocessor that automatically changes posters for me so every morning when I come in I get a new one without me having to expend ANY energy at all

·
Registered
287 Posts
That is so awesome. I love it! Great job on the whole project. I would love to build something like this one day. I assume the motor runs in reverse? Does it just unroll off the lower rod and up onto the upper? So when they are all rolled up, you have to unroll them down? Correct?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Amazing. Nice work!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Very impressive. Even more so for someone who admits to being so lazy

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thanks for sharing your very cool project !

Any photos of the back side showing your lighting set up.

Did you use regular electrical tape & that holds OK ?

John

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, I am quite proud of the way it turned out. Now to make two more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid_68 /forum/post/15481828

I assume the motor runs in reverse? Does it just unroll off the lower rod and up onto the upper? So when they are all rolled up, you have to unroll them down? Correct?

The motor DOES run in reverse if you flip the switch the other way. Originally, there were two gears attached to the motor in picture 4 (note how the wood dowel is so much deeper than the actual gear). In prototype 2, you could advance and rewind the posters at will.

The problem I ran into was that since the same motor was driving the top and bottom rolls at the exact same speed, and the radius of rolled up posters was different between the two rolls when most of the posters were on one side, the amount of poster coming off the top roll and the amount being taken up by the bottom roll was different. This caused the posters to be pulled very tight (until the motor stopped working), or become more and more loose.

SO, I made the bottom gear more of a slave. When all the posters get rolled up to the top, and it is time to rewind, you flip the switch to the rewind position. While the motor is unrolling the top roll, you have to manually pull the ball chain for the bottom roll to wind the posters onto it.

Hope that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor /forum/post/15482422

Very unique project! The posters do not seem to have any wrinkles in them.

Nope! All it is doing is storing the posters rolled up, just like you would be doing if you stuck them in cardboard tubes. The Narnia poster in the picture came with the small wrinkles you see already in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGTX /forum/post/15486370

Any photos of the back side showing your lighting set up.

Did you use regular electrical tape & that holds OK ?

The back is covered with nailed on cardboard to keep the light from shining out the back.

For lighting this uses a 48' piece of rope light. It is wound through screw-in eyelets that are attached to the frame behind the posters. It is pretty much what is described on this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=496487

The electricians tape is holding up great. And I have found that if you are careful, you can remove the tape without ripping the posters. Not that I will need to...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had my first party with people last night since finishing it and it was a big hit! Good thing too, as I needed something to soothe my aching ego after watching the Sooners play so sloppy (been a Sooner since before I was born).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTGuy09 /forum/post/15501022

haha classic! By a momentary switch, do you mean, randomized scrolling at different times?

With the current switch, if I flip it on, it stays on when I let go of the switch. So if I turn it on and walk away, it will keep running.

A momentary switch returns to the off position when you let go (a push button is a momentary switch). If the current switch were momentary, I would have to stand there and hold it instead of letting go. My goal is to find a way to be able to hit the switch and walk away and the motor stop turning when the poster completes the change. We'll have to see about that.

I'm hoping to complete the other two frames sometime in the next couple weeks. I'll try to post pictures of the construction on those. In the meantime, here is a link to a place you can get the ball-chain and clutches:

http://www.draperysewingsupplies.com...-Kits-s/37.htm

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Bravo!!! Well done!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingtouchcu /forum/post/15539086

Awesome !!!! Any chance of a step by step tutorial ? I have a hard enough time with a toilet paper roll.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mahler007/TheatreRoom#

Holy intricate detail, Batman! Looks great. Can I ask where you got that candy counter from?

·
Registered
232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc /forum/post/15576789

Holy intricate detail, Batman! Looks great. Can I ask where you got that candy counter from?

I made it from Mdf and cherry ply top, surrounding a display case I picked up from liquidation.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Great stuff, love the ingenuity.

Being a AVSforum member has re-kindled my passion for DIY, and what I've seen here and other threads inspires me even more.

There are so many sub forums here, once you get your room built then your mind can open up to lots of other projects to further enhance it and keep improving those DIY skills.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts