AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
There is a problem with these two announcements. The "AOD" link above mentions red laser.
Quote:
A red laser–based Advanced Optical Disc (AOD) format system developed by Toshiba and NEC has been chosen by the DVD Forum as the standard for next-generation high-definition DVD players.
The article from HDDVD.org says:
Quote:
The DVD Forum has so far made no decision to adopt or reject any proposed format (either 0.1mm or 0.6mm) for blue laser optical disc applications.
The two may not actually conflict since one is red laser and one is blue laser. However, it was my understanding that the NEC/Toshiba proposal was blue laser and 0.6mm media thickness. There may be an error in the AOD announcement because it would be hard to get any meaningful capacity increase over today's DVD without changing the laser wavelength or the media thickness.

- Mike

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
The two may not actually conflict since one is red laser and one is blue laser. However, it was my understanding that the NEC/Toshiba proposal was blue laser and 0.6mm media thickness. There may be an error in the AOD announcement because it would be hard to get any meaningful capacity increase over today's DVD without changing the laser wavelength or the media thickness.
You would not necessarily need a large increase in data capacity to do HD DVD. A more efficient coding system (e.g., MPEG-4) would go a long way toward closing the gap. I believe at least one proposal was based on that. However, I agree that it is extremely unlikely the DVD Forum has settled on any particular format yet. These standards things take a long time, and even if it were settled today, the idea of launching in 2004 seems absurd given the size of the potential market.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.