AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Yeah, it just so happens that at least one woman I can think of did the following:

1) Was one of the first to hack a 2020

2) Was one of the group who figured out the ReplayTV on-disk file system, thus enabling the creation of the patch utility

3) Ported said patch utility from Linux to Windows-2000 (unfortunately, breaking the Linux version in the process, but what the heck...)

4) Took her Christmas vacation to figure out and implement the 2-drive hack last December

5) Was quoted in the Washington Post for having done the above

I have it on good authority that this woman has, in the past, ranted at others here for blaming everything on their wives, and/or accusing their wives of being the benchmark for technical illiteracy.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Yeah, and she gets really bothered by people who don't know their "there's" from their "theirs"!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greganderson9
Yes it's true. Most techno-geeks are men. I didn't see any women in line trying to buy Windows XP on the first day.

Greg
Most women got more sense than that.

I've been using one form of NT or another for my primary OS since '95. Right now, I have NT 4.0 at work and W2K at home. At best, XP gives me the following:

1) Single user NT "terminal server" (big win)

2) Puffy "My First OS" interface that I'd just have to shut off, anyway

3) Totally intrusive product authorization process

4) "Sign up for passport" nag screens

Otherwise, XP is a completely minor feature upgrade for existing NT users.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Huh.

So many people in this forum, so few responses above.

Shoulda included the following categories:

3. Yes

4. None of the above

5. Undecided

6. Not applicable

(I kinda think #6 would get a lot of hits)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Who is the second chick? (Or did Toots vote twice?)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greganderson9
Yes it's true. Most techno-geeks are men. I didn't see any women in line trying to buy Windows XP on the first day.

Greg
Nope, us women are smart enough to place their orders for MacOS X in advance so we don't waste our time standing in line.

My hubby has a TiVo, but I don't hold it against him :) I use it to resolve the occasional conflicting shows (damn idiots put Dark Angel and Providence on at the same time!)

·
Registered
399 Posts
BTW, I am male and was not in line to buy XP (Xtra problems?)

I don't want to pay M$ for the privilege of being a beta tester. I will wait at least until SP1 has been broken in.

I have three showstoppers. Once I finish installing the 60 GB drive into a used one I bought, I will sell the 20 hour one.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toots

Most women got more sense than that.

I've been using one form of NT or another for my primary OS since '95. Right now, I have NT 4.0 at work and W2K at home. At best, XP gives me the following:

1) Single user NT "terminal server" (big win)

2) Puffy "My First OS" interface that I'd just have to shut off, anyway

3) Totally intrusive product authorization process

4) "Sign up for passport" nag screens

Otherwise, XP is a completely minor feature upgrade for existing NT users.
True, however, aren't you tired of that sterile, monotonous same interface we have seen for years. In *addition* to the above, I finally get to change that crap.

I liked NT/2000 for stability and networking, but I want to play games. XP has given me both so far... Anyway, I like my kibbles AND bits.

Calvin

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Well, I'm sure as heck not giving away half my screen real estate to XP's puffy waste of pixels.

Anyway, if you want a facelift for windows, try www.stardock.com

And, stuff like HL and Quake work just fine on W2K. XP doesn't offer anything new there.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Well, I'm sure as heck not giving away half my screen real estate to XP's puffy waste of pixels.

Anyway, if you want a facelift for windows, try www.stardock.com

And, stuff like HL and Quake work just fine on W2K. XP doesn't offer anything new there.
Arrgghhh!!! Please... I bought windowblinds... started to use it .. started out good, but the slowdown overhead of all of that was crazy. It also caused problems and glitches with MS programs and some others as well - repainting and glitchy title bar probs.

And as far as games go, trust me when I tell you I have had more games not work on W2k than worked. Support for it was certainly better than NT, but a far cry from 98/XP.

And puffy pixel stuff taking too much? Do you really think so? I run most of my stuff at a minimum 1024 x 768 and even that seems plenty of room. On my other machines, 1280x 1024 and 1600x1200 are really nice resolutions. I will admit that at 640x480 it might be puffy.. but who runs that?

I do find it a refreshing change.... but that's me. Anyway, really, to each his (or her) own.

Cheers

Calvin

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
WindowBlinds does nothing but work and take no extra CPU time on W2K.

As for the puffiness - they just made everything gratuitously bigger and wasteful. Puffier buttons - less space for text, even on my 1600x1200 21" monitor. I don't pay for all that screen just to have The Bill steal it from me.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
WindowBlinds does nothing but work and take no extra CPU time on W2K.
hmmm.. well my experience with it has been radically different.. mind you, I am sure it was a number of revisions ago.

Quote:
As for the puffiness - they just made everything gratuitously bigger and wasteful. Puffier buttons - less space for text, even on my 1600x1200 21" monitor. I don't pay for all that screen just to have The Bill steal it from me.
heh heh.. maybe they just wanted to be more like Macs.. ouch! I think I may have started a war.. please please. I retract.. I r.e.t.r.a.c.t.....

Just kidding. :)

Calvin

P.S. I have no love for "The Bill".

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Yah, it's ok.

Using windowblinds on W2K now (you're soaking in it) to allow myself an even less-fluffy theme than windows classic.

I really am a screen real estate fanatic, you know...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Yah, it's ok.

Using windowblinds on W2K now (you're soaking in it) to allow myself an even less-fluffy theme than windows classic.

I really am a screen real estate fanatic, you know...
heh.. yup. understood. I have a friend who is a hard drive space fanatic. Has a 20 Gig drive and insists upon having 19Gigs free! I just don't understand that. I have about 120gGigs total and I am always battling for space.Doesn;t use it. Constantly de-installing things because he is not sure he will use it... really never gives things a chance.

Whatever machine, whatever size drive, I am always battling to free up that last 5% because I am always full... bahhh what can ya do? :)

Calvin

·
Registered
841 Posts
Real men are MSDN Professional ( or higher ) members and get all Microsoft OSs weeks or months before the general public - and XP was only a download away many weeks ago for me. I'm running it on my laptop to check it out. :cool:

And while not a techo-geek in the classic male sense, my wife is expert on embedded controllers for SCSI disk drives and tape, as well as a seasoned UNIX and NT applications programmer. She also runs her "video stack" like an old pro - DVD player, standard VCR and a Go-Video dual-deck with dual-bank video switching and a Copy-Master box for stripping that nasty MacroVision stuff from DVDs and tapes. We did program the Sony learning remote together that runs the whole mess.

Bye. :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another female here. Haven't hacked the showstopper yet, but am starting to consider a new hard drive.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.