AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know why my thread got locked about the HDA2 but i went to the store tonight after the 2 other guys said to get the HDA2 for $200, it turned out to be a HDXA1, the guy on the phone obviously was lying when i called back to see what model it was.

anyways, should i buy a HDXA1 open box item for $200 ?

thanks

· Registered
708 Posts
What store for $200.

I'll go buy one this morning for that price.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok guys,

i bought it.

right now i have it hooked up with HDMI and for sound i have it hooked up with the digital optimal. should i use the digital optimal or the 5.1 to get the best sound out of the HDAX1 ?

thanks for your help

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon /forum/post/0

The analog out provides the "best" sound option as it processes all the codecs including Dolby TrueHD which the optical out cannot pass (but can be output by HDMI).

John

Thanks JOhn,

Ive been doing alot of reading this morning. I just want to make sure i have this correct because some of these cables are expensive.

My reciever doesnt have HDMI , but it does have 6.1 analog.

Do i really need HDMI to go from my HDXA1 to my tv? would Component be fine for the picture?

Then go with the analog from the HdXA1 to the reciever.

thanks for your help

Mike

· Registered
150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicketMike /forum/post/0

Thanks JOhn,

Ive been doing alot of reading this morning. I just want to make sure i have this correct because some of these cables are expensive.

Do i really need HDMI to go from my HDXA1 to my tv? would Component be fine for the picture?

thanks for your help

Mike

Component will be fine to the TV. I run it that way with analogs to the receiver. Enjoy.

· Registered
4,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicketMike /forum/post/0

Thanks JOhn,

thanks for your help

Mike

Use component video cables to your HDTV. For the audio just get two sets of component video cables to connect the analogue out from the player (cheap way to do this connection) to your A/V receiver and you are good to go.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D /forum/post/0

Use component video cables to your HDTV. For the audio just get two sets of component video cables to connect the analouge out from the player (cheap way to do this connection) to your A/V receiver and you are good to go.

I also need the black cables for the center speaker and the woofer, right ?

thanks

· Banned
1,292 Posts
If you have HDMI on your TV and want to enjoy the upconverting capabilities of your XA1 to its fullest then you need to go HDMI for the video...

As for the sound, the analog outs will allow you to enjoy the advanced audio codecs such as TrueHD. Just get some regular stereo RCA cables (the ones with a red and a white plug) for your analog audio connection. 3 of these cables will do : one for the fronts, one for the surrounds, one for the center/subwoofer.

· Registered
2,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance /forum/post/0

If you have HDMI on your TV and want to enjoy the upconverting capabilities of your XA1 to its fullest then you need to go HDMI for the video...

As for the sound, the analog outs will allow you to enjoy the advanced audio codecs such as TrueHD. Just get some regular stereo RCA cables (the ones with a red and a white plug) for your analog audio connection. 3 of these cables will do : one for the fronts, one for the surrounds, one for the center/subwoofer.

If you want to use the DVD Player with a regular Receiver you will need 6 cables in all 2 Front, 1 center, 2 surround, & One Woofer.

I have mine setup like that with my Onkyo receiver

· Banned
6,469 Posts
The XA-1 is a superb upconverter over hdmi. For HD DVD, you'll not see any difference between component and hdmi. For audio definitely go with the 5.1 analogs. You'll however need to adjust the speakers to compensate for the sub woofer which is low. I set all speakers at -10 db and left subwoofer at 0. All speakers were set to small....feel free to experiment till you get the settings you prefer.

I have the A2 as well and after one month with the A2, I admit the XA1 is the slightly better upconverter and has slightly better audio. However the A2 is more stable, faster and better operability. The XA1 has much better build quality.....

· Banned
1,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP /forum/post/0

If you want to use the DVD Player with a regular Receiver you will need 6 cables in all 2 Front, 1 center, 2 surround, & One Woofer.

I have mine setup like that with my Onkyo receiver

Yep, same as what I said : 3 pairs = 6 cables. That's why I wrote STEREO cables and emphasized they had a white plug and a red plug...

· Premium Member
1,501 Posts

Quote:

Yep, same as what I said : 3 pairs = 6 cables. That's why I wrote STEREO cables and emphasized they had a white plug and a red plug...

You original post said "3" not "3 pair". But most of us knew what you meant...

Quote:

3 of these cables will do : one for the fronts, one for the surrounds, one for the center/subwoofer.

· Registered
11,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman /forum/post/0

The XA-1 is a superb upconverter over hdmi. For HD DVD, you'll not see any difference between component and hdmi. For audio definitely go with the 5.1 analogs. You'll however need to adjust the speakers to compensate for the sub woofer which is low. I set all speakers at -10 db and left subwoofer at 0. All speakers were set to small....feel free to experiment till you get the settings you prefer.

I have the A2 as well and after one month with the A2, I admit the XA1 is the slightly better upconverter and has slightly better audio. However the A2 is more stable, faster and better operability. The XA1 has much better build quality.....

Hiya Plazman!

I am on the fence between the xa1 and the hda2. Both are around $400 now.

I don't mind longer load times and the best CD playback through 2 channel analog for me is paramount as I am doing a music mastering project and need to send my tunes off CD (master mixes) to my finalizer (compressor, eq...) as analog to take advantage of all the parameters. I was going to get a really good standalone CD player but figured, hey, I can get an HDdvd player at the same time (and have both formats!)

Thanks for any advice!

dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.