AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a 1080p Front Projector, and am gravitating toward the Epson Powerlight Home Cinema, but began reading some fantastic reviews of the JVC RS1 (which at double the Epson's price, is out of my range atm).

But this got me to thinking - are there any new projector releases imminent? Any presumed price drops coming on comparable projectors? There's probably many in the same position, not wanting to buy/upgrade for what may just be around the corner as far as new projectors or price decreases.

I realize many will say 'if you are going to wait on the next big thing, you will never buy' and there is truth to that. However, I'm looking at a 3-4 month window that I can wait...

From the experts on these forums, what can we expect by September that might be worth waiting for?

Thanks much!

Signed,

Bill, the guy with no TV.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Keep in mind that the JVC was shown at last fall's CEDIA show - and had you waited out the summer to see if it was worth waiting for - it would have been a full year before you actually got a PJ if you were the last one on the preorder list.

new PJ announcements happen at CEDIA, CES, Infocomm, etc. - but there is always going to be something new for less with better specs announced right after you bought. That is the way things are in a commodity market.

So you can wait - but I guarantee you will still be the guy with no TV - while others are enjoying what they have - and can then decide if the next upgrade hits the right pricing/performance sweetspot to make it worth the switch. You can be the guy selling the new thing for a fraction what you paid for it a year later - or you can be the guy that buys the old thing going for fraction what it originally cost - or you can be the guy with no TV. Your choice. But don't try to time the market - it ain't possible.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasmuzik /forum/post/0

Keep in mind that the JVC was shown at last fall's CEDIA show - and had you waited out the summer to see if it was worth waiting for - it would have been a full year before you actually got a PJ if you were the last one on the preorder list.

new PJ announcements happen at CEDIA, CES, Infocomm, etc. - but there is always going to be something new for less with better specs announced right after you bought. That is the way things are in a commodity market.

So you can wait - but I guarantee you will still be the guy with no TV - while others are enjoying what they have - and can then decide if the next upgrade hits the right pricing/performance sweetspot to make it worth the switch. You can be the guy selling the new thing for a fraction what you paid for it a year later - or you can be the guy that buys the old thing going for fraction what it originally cost - or you can be the guy with no TV. Your choice. But don't try to time the market - it ain't possible.

Absolutely, not trying to time anything;

Thanks for the info, didn't realize Sept. was the release date for new machines. No rumors though on upcoming products? Unfamiliar with the Projector industry - thought they might let out tantalizing PR on new, coming products (although that might cannabalize sales of their existing wares...)

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Optoma HD80 is rumored to be releasing in July timeframe and may be worth a look. I've got my eye on this or the new VW60 since I want to stay under or close to $3k.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsntn99 /forum/post/0

The Optoma HD80 is rumored to be releasing in July timeframe and may be worth a look. I've got my eye on this or the new VW60 since I want to stay under or close to $3k.

10 Thousand Dollars? Ummm...good luck Optoma! Don't think they'll sell many at that price.

Quote:
More concrete info for this projector now, and its launching at the same price as the H79 originally did

so it looks like 6000:1 CR, 1400 lumens, a seperate box for all connections then one cable to the Projector and my fave bit... Gennum VXP processing included. Also carries the CEDIA certification: ISF ccc certification.

there maybe a HD80 with no scaler with a lower price but thats waiting for confirmation.

Enjoy

Optoma Debuts Its Top Line True 1080p Home Theater Projector Featuring a New Sleek Design, Studio-Quality Resolution and Image Processing

LAS VEGAS (Jan. 5, 2006) - Optoma introduces the HD81 home theater projector, one of its newest high performance digital projector. The Optoma HD81 home theater projector is a true 1080p (1920 x 1080) projector that features Texas Instruments' BrilliantColor color technology, DarkChip3 DMD chipset, studio-grade resolution and best all-around high-quality display experience for home theater enthusiasts.

The Optoma HD81 has the same resolution of modern digital movies, offering an amazing home theater experience. If the home does not have a true 1080p source, with the HD81's studio-grade professional video/color enhancement processor, the motion adaptive HD de-interlacer will flawlessly convert the content to 1080p.

The HD81 highlights Texas Instruments' BrilliantColor color processing technology to deliver higher brightness and provide truer, more vibrant colors to the projected picture. With 10-bit color per channel color processing, a 7-segment color wheel and its amazing 6000:1(full on/off) contrast ratio, the Optoma HD81 DLP home theater projector delivers great color saturation and subtle color details for the best image quality.

With its new industrial design, the HD81 lowers the noise level usually associated with other typical home theater projectors. The patent pending tunnel cooling system is designed for near-silent operation with minimal light leakage.

Specifications:

Display Technology: Single 0.95 DarkChip3 DLP technology

Brightness (typical): 1400 lumens with a 300W lamp and five-step output control

Resolution: 1080p native, with 1080i HD-deinterlacing and color management

Image scaler: Gennum VXP solutions

Color Management: Studio-grade CMS, 10-step Gamma enhancement, RGBCYM 6-color, 15-region adjustment

Video Compatibility: NTSC, PAL, SECAM, HDTV (720p, 1080i), EDTV (480p), SDTV (480i), 576i/p

Aspect Ratio: 16:9 native, 4:3 compatible

I/O Connectors: x3 HDMI + 1x External HDMI expansion, 2x RBGHV(BNC), 2xRCAcomponent, 3 S-Video, 3 Composite, 1 VGA (RGB/YPbPr/SCART), 2xRS232, 2x 12V Trigger, 1xIR port extension

CEDIA certification: ISF ccc certification

The HD81's video/color enhancement processing system delivers an advanced three-stage process flow (decoding, image enhancement, color reproduction enhancement) that offers impressive, personalized adjustment setting at each stage.

Optoma's innovative single-cable solution makes bulky, wire-filled installations a thing of the past. Optoma developed this single cable solution that delivers a loss- and interference-free signal from the video/color enhancement box to the HD81 1080p projector. This fully digital source-to-display link is connected through a high-speed digital cable signal; and then transmits data to more than 100 feet.

The two-piece design eliminates the need for multiple cables; all that is needed for the projector to be connected is one single cable to the image enhancement box. With the image enhancement box's extensive inputs, there are more than enough connections to up-convert sources to 1080p for optimal viewing.

The Optoma HD81 home theater projector will be available in Q2 2006 for an estimated MSRP of $10,000 through authorized Optoma dealers.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raftermanfmj /forum/post/0

10 Thousand Dollars? Ummm...good luck Optoma! Don't think they'll sell many at that price.

You need to do a little closr reading and a little more homework.

You were told about the HD80 but you went and looked up the 2006 PRESS RELEASE for the HD81.

The HD81 is selling for less than half of $10K and the HD80 is supposed to be even more affordable.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts

Quote:

Absolutely, not trying to time anything;

Thanks for the info, didn't realize Sept. was the release date for new machines. No rumors though on upcoming products? Unfamiliar with the Projector industry - thought they might let out tantalizing PR on new, coming products (although that might cannabalize sales of their existing wares...)

You completey missed the point - Sept is not the release date for new machines. Sept is just one of the tradeshows that companies use to announce and show new machines - so dealers informed on the new coming lineup. The whole point of my post was to illustrate that there can often be a very long lag between an announcement - production ramp up needs to happen, review units need to go out, and dealers need to get their orders fullfilled - and this can be many months before it means you can get your hands on one after a qualified reviewer has informed you if it is worth buying - or was the trade show just hype? For sure if you read the forum this summer there will be lots of pre-show hype to read about - but I think most people would be more entertained by actually watching a real PJ rather than just read about them.

The whole point is - go buy something now! Then next year you can buy whatever is hyped this fall at a great discount rather than be watching nothing, because by then the new hype starts and the only way to sell the old stuff is to discount it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/0

You need to do a little closr reading and a little more homework.

You were told about the HD80 but you went and looked up the 2006 PRESS RELEASE for the HD81.

The HD81 is selling for less than half of $10K and the HD80 is supposed to be even more affordable.

You are right; I copied and pasted the proper HD80 into google's search box, and it brought up the above information; google and the internet failed me. And I failed myself by not more carefully proof-reading...the 10K price musta short-circuited my brain.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:

You are right; I copied and pasted the proper HD80 into google's search box, and it brought up the above information; google and the internet failed me. And I failed myself by not more carefully proof-reading...the 10K price musta short-circuited my brain.

It happens...

Check out the price the Sharp Z12000 MKII was selling for a year or two ago, its MSRP, and what you can get it for now!

Don't let the Press releases and "Suggested" prices scare you, this field of entertainment is getting quite affordable these days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts