AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Blu-Ray was just re-least , has anyone watched it yet?

If so, can you report on it...picture, and sound etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
I have not seen it but early comments that I read have been positive. Has all the extras from DVD release and is presented in it's original ratio of 2.76:1 (misprinted as 2.55:1 on the back cover).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco
This Blu-Ray was just re-least , has anyone watched it yet?

If so, can you report on it...picture, and sound etc.
Watched my copy last night and picture quality is excellent, I think the best of the recent batch of MGM releases, and I was very impressed with The Big Country as well. DTS Master Audio is also excellent. And it is indeed 2.76:1 ratio, I had to adjust my projector to fit all of it on the 110" screen.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy /forum/post/20659491


Watched my copy last night and picture quality is excellent, I think the best of the recent batch of MGM releases, and I was very impressed with The Big Country as well. DTS Master Audio is also excellent. And it is indeed 2.76:1 ratio, I had to adjust my projector to fit all of it on the 110" screen.
Aspect ratio comparison post by LimeiBook86 on Blu-ray.com forum.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
Hi all. I bought my copy today and just finished watching it.

This is one of my all time favorites. At age 62, I've seen this countless times over the years.

I just finished watching the whole film, and I'm happy to post that it's terrific.

PQ is excellent. As someone who doesn't like color/contrast overdone, I found both to be just fine (I remember a line from an article I read many years ago that went "Too much color on your TV is like too much sugar in your coffee; I agree.). The contrast might handle a notch or two down, but I didn't find it to be a problem as is. It looks great, with detail galore.

I really hesitate to use the following phrase, but some scenes almost had a 3D quality.

Audio was also fine.

At $10, it's a no-brainer. If you're on the fence, don't be. IMHO, it's an excellent release.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,257 Posts
Mr.G,

That's REALLY badd example too use here at AVS.

The LD contains MORE information that the DVD; NOT less!

However, the way the captures (that's a whole other prob) are arranged one might think the DVD has more than the LD.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED /forum/post/20660997


Mr.G,

That's REALLY badd example too use here at AVS.

The LD contains MORE information that the DVD; NOT less!

However, the way the captures (that's a whole other prob) are arranged one might think the DVD has more than the LD.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.



Seriously it was only posted to highlight that the Blu-ray did not compromise the aspect ratio versus the other versions. The rest is your interpretation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco /forum/post/20658672


This Blu-Ray was just re-least

Where? Amazon doesn't have it except from a couple of marketplace sellers.



Aha... a Wal*Mart exclusive! Why didn't I see this when I was there yesterday? I'd better go back and take another look.


I remember my parents driving (with me) 50 miles to Cleveland to see it in its original Cinerama release.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/20661437


Where? Amazon doesn't have it except from a couple of marketplace sellers.



Aha... a Wal*Mart exclusive! Why didn't I see this when I was there yesterday? I'd better go back and take another look.


I remember my parents driving (with me) 50 miles to Cleveland to see it in its original Cinerama release.

Hi jt.

If your store doesn't have it, the one in Goose Creek had two copies out when I was there this morning.

When I left, they were down to one.


Don't know how far you are from Goose Creek. I've lived in SC since Oct. 05, and I'm STILL learning my way around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,562 Posts
cool!! just ordered my bd copy of 'iammmmw' from wallyworld, should be here in a few days.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED /forum/post/20660997


Mr.G,

That's REALLY badd example too use here at AVS.

The LD contains MORE information that the DVD; NOT less!

However, the way the captures (that's a whole other prob) are arranged one might think the DVD has more than the LD.

Where? the DVD is the clear loser but you are getting more info on all sides on the BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
CochiseGuy, is the Overture, Intermission, Entr'acte and Exit music included on this release? It would be great to hear the overture in 5.1 for the first time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
I've always been very confused by all the different lengths of runtime for the film. Can anyone tell me what length it should be, or what would be closest to the director's intention for purists? I really would love it to be as close as possible to what the director wanted in terms of time, editing, and presentation of the original material such as intermissions.


According to IMDB the original version is 192 minutes, and this isn't anywhere near that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
The 192-minute runtime refers to the original roadshow version. The film was recut for general release and the roadshow version was subsequently lost (I believe the original roadshow prints were recut to conform to the short version). Robert Harris has been working for years to reassemble the original roadshow cut and has apparently gotten pretty far, but as I understand it, MGM has never been willing to put up the money to finish it. The laserdisc release had an extended version, but that was just done by chucking in whatever footage they had lying around, including footage that Kramer had cut before release. The actual 192-minute roadshow cut is still MIA and the Blu-ray uses the general release version.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
the overture song is included with a black screen, but the intermission stuff is not present (police calls, music, etc.) or the Entr'acte. not sure about the exit music.

(haven't quite finished it yet)

the intermission comes, the screen goes black for a moment, and then the film begins again.

so from that standpoint the release is indeed a disappointment.

but in every other way it is a great release.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmyname /forum/post/20661618


Don't know how far you are from Goose Creek. I've lived in SC since Oct. 05, and I'm STILL learning my way around.

I'm about 160 miles up I-26, right where I-385 branches off for Greenville. It's kind of a long drive for a $10 disc.



I ordered a copy from the W*M web site. The $2 for home shipping is only a bit more than I'd pay for gas to drive to the nearest store, over in the next town (Laurens), which might not have it anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/20663852


I'm about 160 miles up I-26, right where I-385 branches off for Greenville. It's kind of a long drive for a $10 disc.



I ordered a copy from the W*M web site. The $2 for home shipping is only a bit more than I'd pay for gas to drive to the nearest store, over in the next town (Laurens), which might not have it anyway.

Yeah, long ride. LOL

It's worth the $2. They did a great job on this one.

I'm considering watching it again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When Jimmy Durante kicks the bucket in the beginning of the picture at the car chase...what a classic.
 
1 - 20 of 125 Posts
Top