AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
22,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks. Lets get it out of your system. Whenever we talk about the following subjects, some folks always tell us its a waste of time, waste of money, etc. Say they don't think burning in a power cord or cable can possibly change the sound, then its a waste of time. Say they don't believe paying more than $4 per interconnect pair can give you better sound, its a waste of money. So lets get it all out in the open. Lets just say what we think is a waste of ______??? and get it all out in the open. This will give objectivists and subjectivists and those inbetween a chance to vent

and feel better!!!!

***(ONE Rule: Please do not mention the specific brand or model of a particular product, but otherwise large leeway is given in this thread!!!)

· Registered
22,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Its a waste of time to argue that somethings a waste of anything.

· Registered
22,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My WAIST is a WASTE because I'm spending too much time posting and moderating at this forum and I'm sitting too much in my home theater room!

· Registered
22,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The past years I've wasted too much time tweaking and changing stuff and I'm proud to say I've slowed down considerably (but I haven't stopped completely yet, which perhaps may be wasteful?).

· Registered
22,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you think you can persuade someone who has experienced the phenomena of different cables sounding or looking differently as far as audio and/or video quality, then you're wasting your time.

· Registered
22,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want us to prove to you objectively that cables and power cords will make sonic differences in your system, forget about it, you're wasting you're time - but if you're willing to experiment and demo in your own system, then maybe you'll be wasting your time, maybe you won't, you can decide that. But beware, there are those who will always think you are wasting your time comparing different cables or power cords in your system.

· Registered
22,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you read all my posts because you think you're getting a valuable audio and video education which will help you build a better sounding and looking auido and video system, then you are wasting your time. HA!

_______

OK Folks, I need some help from you now.

· Registered
733 Posts
I've found that it's a waste of time to convince ANY my friends that there's any benefit to spending more than $300-400 (total!) for a good HT or 2 channel system. My wife thinks I'm crazy too, but realizes my A/V obsession/hobby keeps me off the street...

· Registered
22,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My wife thinks my whole home theater is a waste of money!

· Registered
276 Posts
It's a waste of time to try and convince some folks that calibrating an HT system, or adding a sub to powered-towers can make a difference.

:)

· Registered
511 Posts
The endless "mine is the best and yours is junk" threads that populate many of the AVS forums are a huge waste. As much as I enjoy the forum I really dislike the arguments.

Master Steve, I always read your threads for enlightenment. Although I must admit that sometimes I think you need to change your light bulb:)

Ken

· Registered
845 Posts
It is a waste of time to stoke your ego by playing the same "Refernce" DVDs and audiophile approved CDs over and over again just to impress people.

· Registered
114 Posts
My wife wants me to buy her another diamond ring. That's waste of time and money. We already have 6 black diamond cones. She is welcome to wear those babies anytime her wants .. lol ....... They are much cheaper too ....... :)

· Registered
277 Posts
It is a waste of time to upgrade components, especially speakers, if you haven't spent time properly placing your speakers in your room and treating your room for the best acoustics.

· Registered
22,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its a waste if you don't head out and see that new Spider-Man movie!!!

ITS FANTASTIC!!!!;) ;)

Reactions: SuperFist

· Registered
1,876 Posts
It's a waste of our collective time to try to describe the differences between several AV components just so someone can buy without making the effort to actually audition them themselves. Making up a short list for subsequent audition seems to be a forgotten practice.

Its as much of a waste of time trying to convince me that I'm wrong in hearing differences that I hear as it is to try to convince me that I'm wrong in preferring Porsche to Mercedes. Both comparisons can be easily made by anyone actually trying each alternative. Steve's MMV.

It's a waste of both time and emotional energy to forget that the purpose of an AV system is ENTERTAINMENT not the discovery of a supreme truth.

I've wasted too much time on this already !!

· Registered
4,351 Posts
Things that are a waste of money (and/or time):

- Cables beyond decent RG59 (or RG6 for long runs or noisy environments) plus appropriately matched impedance connectors (primarily 75 ohm)

- Subset of Cables: Directional Cables = hooey!

- Power Cords in any shape or form beyond stock

- Burning in cables, and especially buying any equipment to help you do it faster or better

- CD/DVD Transports (excluding for jitter reasons which can be an issue)

- Air Bladders or anti-vibration devices for anything but a Turntable

- Discs, Cones, Stones, blah blah blah

- FPTV Screens beyond a certain threshhold unless you are buying them for certain properties (Gain, Greyscreen, etc)

- I'd like to say something about Amplifiers, but I dont know where to put the threshhold. Certainly anything more than $10K is a waste of money.

How's that for a start? More will come to me I'm sure....

Andy K.

· Registered
3,316 Posts
Maybe reading the Audio Video Improvements forum is a waste?

Actually whenever I'm in for a laugh I come here. I think about me buying used parts for my system to make it affordable while others drop the price of my display + HTPC for an interconnect cable. I feel better that I was made (reasonably) intelligent.

By the way, amen to kromkamp's post! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.