AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the 50/50 behr silver stag flat / white pearlescent mix, and It looks great. I have the borders on and everything now, I will post pics later.

The screen has had a chance to dry for about 3 weeks now, and I think I am starting to see just a very faint trace of hot spotting. I think a trace of sparkles are starting to emerge too.

The hot spotting isn't noticeable in movies unless it is showing a picture of something really bright, like the sun. I was watching some movie the other day that showed the sun high in the sky, and it hurt to look at it on the screen just like it would in real life. Maybe this is a good thing... BTW, I have the L300U with a 84" diagonal screen. If I pull up the service menu and look at the gray screen, I can see a round spot near the top center of the screen that looks just a little brighter than the rest of the screen. I'm not sure how bad it really is, I am new to FP.

I watched Chamber of Secrets last night and I thought it looked incredible. Some scenes seemed to take on depth, and the screen surface just kinda dissapeared...

·
Registered
890 Posts
As the water in the paint leaches out, you will notice the gain and reflectivity increase some what. This is normal and should be of no concern if the hotspot is generally unoticeable. Sounds like you have yourself a good home made screen.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congratulations, you got over the first hurdle. The temptation to repaint does and will subside - you're living proof! I've been going about 2 1/2 months now with no new coats.

But seriously, though, and I hate to do this...

If the brights are too bright (i.e., hurting your eyes), you might want to consider a darker shade like Behr Chromium. My screen is 2 parts this, plus 1 part Behr Pearlescent. However, I am running a slightly brighter pj (75U) with a smaller screen of 60". However, I'm also using the FLD filter. Mine hotspots too, a very little bit, which I feel is ok and proves that I am just about at the optimal gain for a DIY painted screen.

Blacks are good (pj is only 400:1) and bright scenes are comfortable.

I was really tempted to repaint with that Aluminum spray paint raved about here awhile ago, but follow-up threads describing how difficult it was to get an even coat made me chicken out.

Enjoy the new (old?) screen.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
andyebr - I live in Ofallon, MO. If you want to get together and meet some time I'd be up for it...

tonli - Overall I like the brightness of my current configuration. Its just that every once in a while something extremely bright is shown on the screen and it makes me squint. Probably happens once for every couple of movies that I watch. Otherwise bright outdoor scenes are perfectly acceptable.

I'll have to remember the next time it happens and see how the same movie/scene looks to others on different screens.

·
Registered
587 Posts
yellowsubmarine,

How did you apply the paint? and how many coats did you put on?

~ Jay

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I rolled the paint using a 9" fine 1/4" nap roller. I put one coat of kliz primer on the blackout cloth, the three coat of the screen paint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.