AVS Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yah. My plan is to have Jeff come out and do it (so I don't have to!). But if I get up the energy to DIY it before he can come out, I might attempt it.

I'm in Winter Garden FL just 5-10 minutes from Disney World. The invitation is definitely extended if you are in the area!
I have a brother and sister in law down in St. Petersburg that I visit once in a while. Next time I'm planning a trip down that way, I'll touch base and see if it might work. Love to stop by!

·
Semi-Advanced Member
734 Posts
Wow. Very nice!

Just curious what is your eyes to screen distance for the front row?

And again, wow! Well done!

·
Registered
2 Posts
New AVS member here - long time follower. Great looking room here AVMIKE!! Building my own home theater at the moment and have similar dimensions to your room and using the exact same seating (Palliser Vertex). What riser height did you use and how high up on the screen wall did you place the screen? Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Great build. Any chance you tried running the front columns as wides or are you duplicating the "sides" channel in the columns?
Running them as wides for now. They are pretty far forward from the front row. But the columns are also spaced evenly along the wall. This is where I let aesthetic's win over what might be considered ideal speaker placement. I may change the configuration of those speakers when I go through calibration. I have not done ANY calibration yet (Dirac, etc...). I figured I would wait until I replace the sub.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Great looking room. Well done. Couple of questions. What are the 2 APC units in your rack?

And how do you like the Emotiva RMC-1L? I have an XMC-2 and I have had no issues like some others. Just wondering how your experience has been so far.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
New AVS member here - long time follower. Great looking room here AVMIKE!! Building my own home theater at the moment and have similar dimensions to your room and using the exact same seating (Palliser Vertex). What riser height did you use and how high up on the screen wall did you place the screen? Thanks!
Each step on the riser is 8.1" (plus carpeting).
First Step - 2x10 ripped to 2x8 + 2 layers of 3/4" OSB
Top - 2x10 + 2x6 + 2 layers of 3/4" OSB

The screen is ~25" from the floor, but that's from the bottom of the 3.5" felt border (border recommended when using an anamorphic lens). The screen is a 2.4:1 aspect ratio 150" diagonal.

I spent a LOT of time mapping out and testing projection angles, etc. to make sure that I would have no obstructions for viewers in either row. I'm happy to report that the results are perfect.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Beautiful room!
How did you do the temporary wall to block the window?
I first blacked out the window with film. then built a removable wall (~77"x83"). The removeable wall is 1/4" ply + drywall framed with 2x4's. I covered the 2x4's with felt pads to avoid rattles, then secured the removeable wall to the real wall with 4 long screws with large washers. Two of the screws are behind the chair rail, 2 behind the hanging posters. The wall is then trimmed out with crown, chair rail, baseboard, and thin molding on the sides that are against the columns.

It came out great. It feels as sold as a real wall, and you wouldn't know that it is removeable unless you looked closely.

I added a picture at the beginning of this thread that shows the theater before the removeable wall was built.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Great looking room. Well done. Couple of questions. What are the 2 APC units in your rack?

And how do you like the Emotiva RMC-1L? I have an XMC-2 and I have had no issues like some others. Just wondering how your experience has been so far.
I've been VERY happy with the Emotiva equipment so far, including the RMC-1L. My requirements were separates that are affordable, that I could fully control over IP. (I refuse to do IR for anything!). The Emotiva stuff has been create. Fully functional remote on the iPad, and I was able to easily integrate it with my HomeSeer automation system using UDP commands.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Very nice implementation of the traditional wainscoting/column/soffit home theater design.
I like the shade of blue chosen for the side walls. Subtly breaks up the black while not detracting from the image on the screen.
I also very much appreciate the seating choices. First - a center seat in the front row. YEAH! Second - individual chairs so guests aren't fighting for arm space and cupholders.
Well done.

(Really...50 posts in 20 years? Wow. The ultimate lurker! :sneaky:)
Ha! You noticed! Yah.. I've been lurking here for a while... It was the move to this house, which had an intended "media room" (with a window and 2 closets, really?) that was the impetus to build a serious theater.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Great room!! Would love to learn more details about the project. What is your seating distances and speaker locations from MLP?
The viewing distance from eyes in the center seat, front row is about 12.5-13ft. Not sure on speaker distances. On the side columns I did compromise a bit on location for aesthetics - however not really that much. The target listening point is the center seat, front row.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've been VERY happy with the Emotiva equipment so far, including the RMC-1L. My requirements were separates that are affordable, that I could fully control over IP. (I refuse to do IR for anything!). The Emotiva stuff has been create. Fully functional remote on the iPad, and I was able to easily integrate it with my HomeSeer automation system using UDP commands.
I agree with the control using IP. Glad to hear you happy with your Emotiva equipment, as so am I.

But you missed my first question. What are the 2 APC units in your rack, please?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I agree with the control using IP. Glad to hear you happy with your Emotiva equipment, as so am I.

But you missed my first question. What are the 2 APC units in your rack, please?
Ahh.. yep. The APC equipment:
APC G50B-20A2 20A Power Filter - for the Emotiva equipment
APC 1500VA Smart UPS SMT1500RM2UC - for everything else...

Each is fed by its own dedicated 20A circuit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mike,

I finally signed up here on AVS, but have been reading articles for a while. I came across your completed build and just want to say it looks awesome! You built exactly what I was going to build. Was curious if you had someone put building plans together or was this just a total custom job by you?

In my current theater I too use B&W CWM7.3's. Not the S2's. I think they're amazing speakers. I've got the CCM 683's for my Atmos. Yamaha CX-A5200 for processor and using an Outlaw for front three and using one of the new Emotiva BasX amps for rears and Atmos. For sub I have the SVS PB16 Ultra. Screen is a Stewart screen 115" with a JVC NX5.

My next build, I would like my room dimensions to be 25x20x10. That's the hope. With almost the same exact look you have going on. Minus just a few differences. Haha. Going with a full RBH in-wall build. Would like to get the Trinnov Altitude 32 processor for the brains and will be using all ATI class D amps to power everything. I would like to bump my screen size up to the around 180-200" 2.40 aspect ratio with the DCR lens and then getting one of the new JVC lasers. Most likely the NZ8 or NZ9.

How was setting up the projector with DCR with your 150" screen? did it take you a while? did you have someone calibrate it for you? Was it difficult to build those columns? I will have to use columns in my next theater since the speaker depth is 9" and will be sticking out from the wall.

Thank you for your time. When I finally get started on my next build in the next year or two, I hope to document it to share with everyone.

Andy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Was curious if you had someone put building plans together or was this just a total custom job by you?
My plans were the Spartan Theater Build - that was my model, and I made some tweaks along the way that worked for me. My wife and I built it from that.

How was setting up the projector with DCR with your 150" screen? did it take you a while? did you have someone calibrate it for you?
Shockingly easy! I went with the "universal" one, rather than the one specific to my Sony so that I could use it in a future projector if needed. I was concerned that it was going to take some time to align it properly. Nope. It is big enough that the image is nowhere near close to the edge of the lens, so alignment was really easy.

The lens makes a HUGE difference. Make sure you do your homework with A) getting the right screen aspect ratio B) accommodate the minimum throw ratio (1.4:1)

Was it difficult to build those columns? I will have to use columns in my next theater since the speaker depth is 9" and will be sticking out from the wall.
Building the columns is pretty easy, but time consuming with the molding work and building the speaker grilles, etc. Spartan used deeper columns to accommodate shelf speakers so I would check out his thread. I made them shallower, since I planned on using in-walls.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My plans were the Spartan Theater Build - that was my model, and I made some tweaks along the way that worked for me. My wife and I built it from that.

Shockingly easy! I went with the "universal" one, rather than the one specific to my Sony so that I could use it in a future projector if needed. I was concerned that it was going to take some time to align it properly. Nope. It is big enough that the image is nowhere near close to the edge of the lens, so alignment was really easy.

The lens makes a HUGE difference. Make sure you do your homework with A) getting the right screen aspect ratio B) accommodate the minimum throw ratio (1.4:1)

Building the columns is pretty easy, but time consuming with the molding work and building the speaker grilles, etc. Spartan used deeper columns to accommodate shelf speakers so I would check out his thread. I made them shallower, since I planned on using in-walls.
Thank you for getting back to me. I will check out that spartan build. Looking forward to the day I get to start building the next theater. Of course the best day will be the completion.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts