AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's final. I'm switching to Dish HD this Saturday. I have 2 UTV's for sale. One has 2 good tuners, the other 1 good tuner. PM me if you're interested before I put them on eBay.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
My I ask why you would switch to E* right when D* is adding all that new HD? D* was more than happy to upgrade my UTV to an HR21 for the price of shipping. They didn't seem to care whether or not I left the UTV active - which I did.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/13010329

My I ask why you would switch to E* right when D* is adding all that new HD? D* was more than happy to upgrade my UTV to an HR21 for the price of shipping. They didn't seem to care whether or not I left the UTV active - which I did.

I didn't want to pay to upgrade to HD. The best offer I could get from D* was $100 for the HD DVR. I got it free from E*. And no matter what anyone tells you, you CAN watch one program and record another with E*'s HD DVR. D* lied to me and told me I couldn't, and that they had a superior product.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
OK so for clarity.

D*and E* 's HD DVRs both offer TWO Tuners (right?) with the ability to RECORD TWO Programs AND WATCH ONE previously Recorded Show. RIGHT? That should be standard (since the UTV can do it!
) .

It sounds like you are saying only One Record/One Watch (Single Tuner HD DVR?).

Regardless you make a good point about "paying" for HD Content. Time Warner has ads in my Market Area asking "why pay twice?" for HD. DTV should bite the bullet and start offering a "flat" HD Program Rate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave /forum/post/13035998

OK so for clarity.

D*and E* 's HD DVRs both offer TWO Tuners (right?) with the ability to RECORD TWO Programs AND WATCH ONE previously Recorded Show. RIGHT? That should be standard (since the UTV can do it!
) .

It sounds like you are saying only One Record/One Watch (Single Tuner HD DVR?).

Regardless you make a good point about "paying" for HD Content. Time Warner has ads in my Market Area asking "why pay twice?" for HD. DTV should bite the bullet and start offering a "flat" HD Program Rate.

The HD DVR ViP722) I got from E* has 2 tuners, I don't know about D*'s. One nice thing about E*'s is that you can elect to use that 2nd tuner to send a signal to another TV not in the same room, and you can control it with a UHF remote that's included. Or, you can use the 2nd tuner for PinP, or to record 2 shows. I haven't tried watching a previously recorded show while recording off of both tuners yet, as that's something I never really did anyway. Plus, I got 2 DVR's out of the deal anyway, so I have 4 tuners. Plenty of of recording capabilities. Oh, and my UTV's are still for sale! $75.00 takes them both, PLUS shipping.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
A friend has used the ViP722 (or a similar model) that can do the multi-room control. I never did ask exactly how the "two room/Two Interfaces" works.

I've under stood it to mean you can have two TVs with TWO Programs playing at the same time. So TV1 gets to watch NBC for example and TV2 gets to watch CBS... they both (I suspect) are unaware of the other's viewing and (bonus?) get access to ALL of the DVR's Recorded Shows (or maybe just ones "designated" for a particular TV/Tuner).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave /forum/post/13057773

A friend has used the ViP722 (or a similar model) that can do the multi-room control. I never did ask exactly how the "two room/Two Interfaces" works.

I've under stood it to mean you can have two TVs with TWO Programs playing at the same time. So TV1 gets to watch NBC for example and TV2 gets to watch CBS... they both (I suspect) are unaware of the other's viewing and (bonus?) get access to ALL of the DVR's Recorded Shows (or maybe just ones "designated" for a particular TV/Tuner).

You are correct. They both get their own tuner, so neither knows what the other is doing, and they share any recorded content on the hard drive. It's really a pretty cool setup if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
So each "interface" (TV) gets to Record/Watch using (one) Tuner? How does it handle recording "conflicts" say if TV1 (or TV2) wants to record TWO programs at a particular time. Does the DVR "check" with the other "interface" and if it isn't "actively" in use record the program OR does it limit everything to One TV/One Tuner?

I'd be very interested in hearing about this DVR's "conflict resolution" since by design it is dealing with multiple users... issues of Recording Space,recording conflicts, and deleting programs/upcoming recordings are a bit complex. You want flexibility, but you may also want some "hard" lines drawn to prevent issues between the users.

TV1's marathon recording of a series could possibly "take over" available recording space. TV2's movies/shows could be rapidly deleted before they could be viewed... Could really piss off some people.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Sharing a dvr? Perish the thought
I have 2 utvs with 4 tuners just for myself. It would be nice if these two could network and do conflict resolution as if it was 1 dvr with 4 tuners.

One feature that would have been nice, and from what I can tell is available in some newer dvrs is a priority seting in auto/series records for resolving conflicts.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I seem to recall discussion of "networked" UTVs (collective DVRs acting as one) either as a possible "future" upgrade that failed OR maybe was just a dream previously mentioned on this forum... That I'm sure we'd all love...

If only the UTV USB ports could be used to "network" various UTVs and have a menu setting to control how they are coordinated/controlled by the user. Which is Primary/Secondary and how exactly a user accesses the "Network" in a reasonable way.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer /forum/post/13034119

I didn't want to pay to upgrade to HD. The best offer I could get from D* was $100 for the HD DVR. I got it free from E*. And no matter what anyone tells you, you CAN watch one program and record another with E*'s HD DVR. D* lied to me and told me I couldn't, and that they had a superior product.

Did you speak to retention? I explained to them that Comcast in my area had all the channels I actually watch in HD and had no upfront cost for their DVR. As a result, they waived the cost of the DVR. I paid $20 shipping for the DVR, Dish and the install.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey Network TV,

This is off-topic but I'm curious . . .

I remember that years ago you had setup your UTV to AutoRecord the AFI Top 100 films. Was that a useful exercise? How many films of the top 100 did it eventually record?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo /forum/post/13101613

Hey Network TV,

I remember that years ago you had setup your UTV to AutoRecord the AFI Top 100 films. Was that a useful exercise? How many films of the top 100 did it eventually record?

Good question about Auto-Record's "limitations". I know during marathons that it doesn't always record "ALL" the shows. It tends to record just a handful of shows then stops for the day. Not sure if it is a function of the default "keep" recordings (3 or 5 by default on most auto/series recordings).

It might be a way to prevent an auto/series recording from deleting programs you haven't seen yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/13094154

Did you speak to retention? I explained to them that Comcast in my area had all the channels I actually watch in HD and had no upfront cost for their DVR. As a result, they waived the cost of the DVR. I paid $20 shipping for the DVR, Dish and the install.

I spoke to retention twice and got the same answer "our equipment is superior to theirs so we can't give it away". E* was out the next day...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo /forum/post/13101613

Hey Network TV,

Not the films themselves. There was a mini series of specials profiling the movies.

Of course, now I have Netflix so I can't watch the actual movies anytime I want...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts