AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 years and alot of research here I've put the finishing touches on my home theater. Here it is:

1. Pioneer 6070 Plasma

2. Onkyo 805 AV Receiver

3. Dish Network 622

4. PS3 Blu-Ray Player

5. Speakers (5.1 setup)

-Fronts left and right > Ascend Acoustics 170s

-Center > Ascend Acoustics 340

-Rears > Speaker Craft Aim8s (in ceiling)

-Infinity Sub TSS450 (from my old speaker set, I know I need an upgrade)

6. Harmony 659 remote

7. Next Generation remote control extender (components in cabinets)

I built the wall unit at my shop. I do custom woodworking for a living.

·
Registered
820 Posts
That's a truly beautiful wall unit, Brian! Finally, a TV above the fireplace where it doesn't look like the TV was just tacked on 50 years later.
The center speaker built into the mantle is really cool, too. So is that a gas fireplace, or electric? I take it your audio/video equipment is going into the lower cabinets? Do you have access to the back of this wall unit, or just plenty of large holes between the lower cabinet walls? Great job!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Beautiful!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Drop dead gorgeous. Congratulations!

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is a beautiful home theater!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gilbert /forum/post/15481949

That's a truly beautiful wall unit, Brian! Finally, a TV above the fireplace where it doesn't look like the TV was just tacked on 50 years later.
The center speaker built into the mantle is really cool, too. So is that a gas fireplace, or electric? I take it your audio/video equipment is going into the lower cabinets? Do you have access to the back of this wall unit, or just plenty of large holes between the lower cabinet walls? Great job!

Thank you to everyone for the complements. I'm humbled.

Aaron,

The fireplace is a gas direct vent. Direct vent allows you to put combustible materials much closer to the firebox. The components are in the basement storage area right below the cabinet and the dvd player is in the cabinet to the left of the fireplace. I was going to put all the components in the cabinet but the heat generated from the components was too much so I put them in the basement because I didn't need to get at them anyway.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You did a very good job on that wall unit! Love where you put the center speaker. Great job!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Blimey, that's some serious talent on that woodwork Brian !
How long does something like that take to produce ? I wouldn't know where to start lol.

And of course, great choice in kit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FORCE /forum/post/15493714

Blimey, that's some serious talent on that woodwork Brian !
How long does something like that take to produce ? I wouldn't know where to start lol.

And of course, great choice in kit.

Force,

It takes about 2-3 weeks for design, manufacture, stain and topcoat, and installation. It also requires some expensive tools, a little knowledge and a lotta luck to hope it all fits together!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Beautiful well done!

·
Registered
140 Posts
We have a guy locally that does top end wood working like this and he is verrrry expensive! This is a beautiful start Brian. I like your lighting too. I need something like that in my setup! Again, very nice wood!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Brian,

Your efforts have surely paid off! The wall unit is outstanding and the integration of the flat panel is perfection. Great job.

Is it possible for you to post a photo with the cabinet doors opened so we can see the equipment?!

Regards!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts