AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up where we last left off , looks like a couple studios are dusting off some more Hammer titles.

SEPTEMBER 6

Universal's Hammer Horror Series :
  • Brides of Dracula
  • Curse of the Werewolf
  • Phantom of the Opera (1962)
  • Paranoiac
  • Kiss of the Vampire
  • Nightmare
  • Night Creatures (aka Captain Clegg)
  • Evil of Frankenstein
AVS Reviews

OCTOBER 4

Comes the long awaited and much anticipated (well, by me anyway) Caroline Munro masterpiece Dracula AD 1972 .

Warner also incidentally debuts their (non-Hammer) Val Lewton Horror Collection the same day:
  • Cat People
  • The Curse of the Cat People
  • I Walked with a Zombie
  • The Body Snatcher
  • Isle of the Dead
  • Bedlam
  • The Leopard Man
  • The Ghost Ship
  • The Seventh Victim
  • Shadows in the Dark
AVS Reviews

·
Registered
946 Posts
Do you remember a Hammer movie called Island of Terror or Terror Island? Something about genetic experiments creating turtle shell like creatures with snake heads that suck the bones out of people? Freaked me out as a kid, and I've been waiting for it to be released some day.

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like Terence Fisher's Island of Terror , which I saw not too long ago on either AMC or Sci-Fi. Fisher also did another similar film with Lee/Cushing called Island of the Burning Doom (aka Night of the Big Heat). I don't see any mainstream R1's of either these yet. There are R2 versions of these films available from Dd Home Entertainment in the UK though. Another place you might investigate for an NTSC version are budget labels like Platinum Disc Corp, Alpha Video, etc. though I don't remember running across them.

Have you seen Quatermass: the mini-series ? (BB has this for alot less than Amazon btw). Still haven't cracked the seal on my copy yet.

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like Terence Fisher's Island of Terror . Saw this not too long ago on either AMC or Sci-Fi. Fisher also did another similar film with Lee/Cushing called Island of the Burning Doom (aka Night of the Big Heat). I don't see any mainstream R1's of either these yet. There are R2 versions available from Dd Home Entertainment in the UK though. Another place you might investigate for an NTSC version are budget labels like Platinum Disc Corp, Alpha Video, etc. though I don't remember running across them.

Have you seen Quatermass: the mini-series ? (BB has this for alot less than Amazon btw). Still haven't cracked the seal on this yet.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I am so there for the Val Lewton set.

The uninitiated must be aware that these films are extremely stylish and creepy rather than terrifying, though several of the films have sequences in them that can induce the chills if you are viewing alone and at night, particularly Cat People, I Walked with a Zombie, and The Leopard Man.

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed, I was planning to start a Lewton collection, and Warner just saved me the hassle by boxing them up in one affordable package. How cool is that?

Also lookin forward to seeing the late, great Oliver Reed in some of his early film roles in Hammer's Curse of the Werewolf, Paranoic & Captain Clegg.

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed, I was planning to start a Lewton collection, and Warner just saved me the hassle by boxing them up in one (relatively*) affordable package. How cool is that?

Also lookin forward to seeing the late, great Oliver Reed in some of his early film roles in Hammer's Curse of the Werewolf, Paranoic & Captain Clegg.

*Yikes-- sticker shock has set in.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Sweet! But, when I first read the post title I thought you were talking about the TV cop show, which was funny, too.

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm... perhaps I should be a bit more careful with my quotes, since I'm not even sure which show you're referrin to. (?)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.