1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in market for a TV for nearly 6 months. I was

looking at Samsung DLP because I never thought I could afford

a 50inch plasma.

That is till last night when my friend mentioned that he picked

up the Sampo 50 inch (PME-50X6) from BB for just under four thousand.

I have been searching the net for reviews and just can't make my mind.

Some people have said it is B+ to A- while others are giving it D+ and

C-.

Would you buy this set??

· Registered
1,285 Posts
Scrape up a little more and get the Panny 50" commercial model. You'll be WAY happier in the long run. Besides, as you save up, the price will come down with time an probably meet you somewhere in-between.

With stuff like this, it doesn't make sense to spend so much on a cheaper, poorer alternative.

If you MUST buy now, then get the DLP.

· Registered
369 Posts
wannaC,

If you really can't stretch for the commercial Panny, you could probably get the Pioneer 503 online for about the same price as the Sampo and it will blow the Sampo away as many owners here can tell you.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. What is this commercial Panny

you are talking about? What model and where I can look for it???

I decided against Sampo because of simple reason that I want

to get a know brand when I am spending such a huge amount of money.

I guess it is a piece of mind thing.

I did look at the Sampo at my friends house, next to a 3-4 months

old 50inch Pioneer Elite Pro ( don't ask my friend made a killing in net

stocks :( ) and I thought that Sampo looked pretty good. I

don't know much and I ask for your guidance on why the Sampo is

hated so much.

As I see it, if the Pioneer get 10 then Sampo will be a 8.5.

· Registered
2,345 Posts
Commercial generally can be had at a substantial cost savings over the consumer.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
I got the TH50PHD6UY commercial panasonic from Visual Apex. There's a FAQ on the panasonics, but the differences between the commercial and consumer models are styling, no speakers on the commercial model (though you can add them if you like), no tuner in the commercial model, the commercial model can be configured with blades to suit your input needs, the commercial takes 720P, the warranty is carry in versus on-site for the consumer model. The PQ is pretty much identical.

It can be had for substantial savings on the internet, from places like Visual Apex or other forum sponsors, or other online outlets as you choose.

I find the picture quality of the panasonic to be MUCH better than the "third" generation Pioneers, and comparied to the current 4th-generation model 5040/1110 Pioneers, the Panasonic has far better blacks.

It's just one of those deals, if you're gonna buy a steak, it makes little sense to buy the cheapest steak you can find. Much better to hunt for the best deal on a *good* steak, value vs. price in other words.

· Registered
60 Posts
I have the Pio 910HD and I'm very happy with it. Now I'm looking to pick up a Panny 42 inch. Reading these threads I'm leaning to the commerical one but would miss the HDMI. Any chance they would come out with a boaed with HDMI

Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.