AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice the number of high end 8" crt's that just hit the market. There was a decent selection and then some time in the last 24 hours over another half dozen popped up.

Marquee's, 808's, 1208's... etc

Wow... I wonder how many I have room for.

Troy

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hi Troy

Had indeed noticed, (I usually have one eye on Fleabay, actually quite often both eyes. Not quite sure why I punish myself like that :))

Most of them are pretty tired IMO and would need to go for a cheap price.

Can anyone say "govt. liquidation"?

Mark

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Perhaps the lackluster economy has something to do as well. Sooner or later even serious crt die hards are going to realize it is better to have food on their table than a house full of fancy projectors that need to be retubed. I know my attitute is starting to change.

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Let's see . . . Do I keep the G70 or the re-tubed 1208/s 2? Or how 'bout the 6PG+ or the Panasonic 1085U? Sell one? I would have to park my cars in the garage.

Willie

Packer Fan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Its all about making time for whats important I am a starving student of only 23 years old and am the proud owner of a Sony 1292q that is going to buried with me when I die!!

Nothing in this world will tear me away from it :)

Paul

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn, I wish I had a 1292 when I was a starving student.

Now I'm just a starving 30 something year old, and apparently it takes dozens of pj's to make you satisfied at this age.

At least for me...

I think we should co-ordinate the bidding so we all get rediculously good deals.

If we don't all bid against each other it could work out really well, after all there is plenty to go around.

So just how many people are serious buyers right now anyway?

Troy

·
Registered
384 Posts
I see that the folks in Annapolis with the 1208S/2 that "noticed some burn" have relisted that PJ. Makes me feel good that mine are not the ones that have been for sale for the longest. (By the way, I recently "noticed some burn" on mine, too.) ;-) - Pat

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
That 1208S/2 has been listed 4-5 times not counting the previous ones he listed. He/she hasn't dropped the price at all, you would think at this point they would realize it might be time to drop the price. The same person in Annapolis just listed 4 808 Barcos and a 1200 Barco along with an EHome. If I was a seller I think I would put up only a few at a time. The market appears to be pretty saturated at this point, particularly 8" EM type machines. If these are really coming from gov. liquidation, they cannot be making all that much money on them as most 8" EM machines appear to go in the 800-1100 range on gov liquidation and add on the 10% buyers premium and shipping (if not local) of about $100-150 per projector or lot and that doesn't leave a whole lot of profit margin in my book. Especially after PayPal and Ebay fees (3-5% on average).

As for noticing "some burn" look at item 3046763095 , 24,000+ hours and a toasted green tube for sure. That is some burn alright.....

secstate

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pcCinema
I think we should co-ordinate the bidding so we all get rediculously good deals...
That's a crime (not the spelling, the concept). I know you're joking, at least I hope you are. But with all the loosely thrown around, sloppy accusations by AVS members of price fixing by certain A/V companies that prefer not to allow web sales, or like their dealers to stick to MAP and minimal discounting, it's interesting to have a suggestion that would in fact amount to something actually criminal.

Even if it's only tongue-in-cheek.

P.S. I know of at least 4 G90s that are currently available, not including Henry Fu's demo. One G90 for sale on the web was quite a few at any given time in the past.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it would be totally impossible to actually co-ordinate anything about ebay bidding, so I don't think there's anything to worry about there.

I don't see how that could possibly be illegal at all though. If myself and someone I know decide not to bid against eachother what could be criminal about that? Happens all the time, arranged or not.

You bid for this, I bid for that... That's all I meant.

That's not price fixing or anything is it?

Troy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well as far as needing dozens of projectors I can see what you mean I am already up to 5 the 1292Q being the flagship of my collection but I have Some Electrohomes too its an expensive hobby considering I have only been in it for about a year and spent way more then I should :D

Paul

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
There is nothing illegal about coordinated bidding to buy in this fashion on eBay. The law is geared to preclude sellers from colluding in an open market.

From a theoretical perspective, anti-trust law, especially the Sherman act, is all about preventing the use of market power to raise prices. It is designed to halt monopoly power. The operative term here is MONOPSONY. Monopsony is where there is one buyer in a market, and while economically it has very similar impacts in terms of dead weight losses to having a monopoly, it is not illegal. However, even monopsony does not apply since the folks on this forum represent a tiny fraction (albeit VERY important in this case) of the total eBay market. One would never, ever win a collusion case like this - the ramifications for "buying clubs" would be severe.

Another concept you may have been trying to articulate is "tortious interference", but that also does not apply in this case (in so long as we do not phyisically restrain people from bidding).

Now, back to this buying club thing... :D

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I will, however, remind everyone that the first rule of buying club is...

:D

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ursa
There is nothing illegal about coordinated bidding to buy in this fashion on eBay...Later,

Bill
Sorry, Bill, but you're not correct. Try doing that at a Sotheby's or Christie's auction and see how fast they throw you in jail for fraud, among other things. Forget the Sherman Act -- that applies to sellers.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PF
Sorry, Bill, but you're not correct. Try doing that at a Sotheby's or Christie's auction and see how fast they throw you in jail for fraud, among other things. Forget the Sherman Act -- that applies to sellers.
Ah, Sotheby's and Christie's! Yes, working for those two organizations has proven to be a route to jail. However, that fraud is not related to this, either. :D (For those who've not followed that particular story, many employees of those two fine organizations are going to jail for price fixing and collusion...)

As for colluding on the auction floor, how is not bidding fraud? In so long as you do not control the floor, there is not a chance that there would even be an arrest let alone a trial. Nor is there a tort. Given the mechanics of an auction, if the seller is not happy with the "lowball", then he can take the 8500LC that had been earmarked for Troy and sell it somewhere else. That is what a reserve is for (or a BATNA, or a reservation level, or... pick your negotiating model, or if you want to talk game theory, we can probably take that off-line...). If the seller did not put higher than a $300 reserve on his set, and he is not happy with the bid, then that is his problem.

PF, if you've got some case law that's relevant, I'd love to hear about it. Note the buying club concept. This structure is used in many different markets. Given the set-up you have described having, I would imagine that you are a "qualified investor". I would also imagine that you are part of an angel network, or at least operate in an arena where you know how they work. For those of us on a different end of the economic spectrum, the local grocery cooperative works in a similar fashion.

The key to all of this is scale. eBay works so well because of the liquidity it provides. As pointed out by a columnist I read who has a split identity, if one assumes that eBay makes about a 5% commission, and since it reports only commission revenue as revenue (not the ending auction value), then eBay would be the second or third largest retailer behind Wal-Mart but ahead of Home Depot (though I haven't checked eBay or HD's revenue figures in a year or so...) in terms of the total economic flow through its "store"! :eek:

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Agreed that because of the numbers of bidders, it would be nearly impossible to do, prove, or even complain about with an auction arena as large as eBay. But come on now; what's described above is not a "buying club." And yes, people have gone to jail precisely for this sort of buyer collusion at wholesale auto auctions. Don't have any case law to cite, unfortunately, but I'll work on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.