AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Daytona 500 and Hershey 300 will be available in HD on NBC. Audio will not be DD5.1.

Moderators Note:

The 46th annual Daytona 500 will be the first NASCAR race to be covered in HDTV. Details are still slim at this time, but HD coverage was confirmed directly to AVS, by NBC earlier today.

Last years Daytona 500 drew its highest ratings ever for start-to-finish coverage and was the most-watched auto race since 1984. NBC's telecast, its first airing of the race under a six-year deal with NASCAR, drew a 10.9 rating Sunday with a 26 share, a jump of 9 percent from the 10.0 rating for the 2002 Daytona 500 broadcast on Fox.

HD coverage will begin 12pm ET, Sunday February 15, 2004.

Press release received from NBC 1/22/04

NBC TO BROADCAST DAYTONA 500 IN HD

First-Ever HD Coverage of NASCAR – HDTV Broadcasts To Be Seen on NBC’s DTV Affiliates

NEW YORK - Jan. 22, 2003 - NBC Sports will broadcast the first-ever high definition coverage of a NASCAR race when it provides exclusive live coverage of the 46th running of the Daytona 500, Sunday Feb. 15, at Noon ET. In addition to the Daytona 500, NBC Sports will provide live coverage of the Hershey’s Kisses 300 NASCAR Busch Series race in high definition on Saturday Feb. 14 at Noon ET. The announcement was made today by Ken Schanzer, President, NBC Sports.

“NBC’s high definition broadcast of the Daytona 500 will deliver the biggest event in motorsports and one of the premier events in sports to NBC affiliate stations’ digital television homes using the world’s premier television technology,†said Schanzer. “NASCAR has long been at the forefront of broadcast technology and it is only appropriate that the ‘Great American Race’ - the Daytona 500 - be the first auto race broadcast in High Definition.â€

NASCAR on NBC &TNT director, Mike Wells, said: “When I’m sitting at home watching a show in HD I think about how great NASCAR will look using this technology. And there’s no better race to get started with than the Super Bowl of stock car racing - the Daytona 500.â€

In 22 years of directing motorsports on television, Wells, a 17-time Emmy Award winner, has defined the way auto racing is seen on television today.

The HDTV broadcast will be produced in 1080i HD format with Dolby Surround Sound using the same HD mobile production unit that will produce the Super Bowl in High Definition two weeks prior and will feature the audio and commentators from NBC’s standard production.

NASCAR on NBC and TNT coverage will be led by play-by-play announcer Allen Bestwick, analysts Benny Parsons and Wally Dallenbach, pre-race host and lead pit reporter Bill Weber and pit reporters Dave Burns, Marty Snider and Matt Yocum.

NBC currently has 115 digital television affiliates, reaching approximately 83 percent of U.S. digital television households.

# # #

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
So ESPN wastes HD on college sports and NBC wastes HD on asscar. Oh well, I suppose this will please a lot of people...

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drhill
So ESPN wastes HD on college sports and NBC wastes HD on asscar. Oh well, I suppose this will please a lot of people...
LOL. So because it's not what you watch, it's "wasted"? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:
Well, any sports in HD that helps promote HD is fine by me whether I watch it myself or not. Especially if we can get NBC to start doing ANYTHING with HD sports I think that's great. Will be interesting to see how many HD versus SD cameras that they use, however, thinking back to the miniscule HD coverage of the horse races they have done.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Quote:
You seem confused, ASCAR is in the UK. NASCAR is in the U.S. Not that I can condone turning left at highspeed on any continent.

·
Registered
106 Posts
No, that's cool...any HDTV is GOOD HDTV, even if it's something I'm not interested in.

Thanks NBC...at least their trying.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Vidonic
DTV, would you please tell us how you heard this?
I heard if from my friend's sister's uncle's babysitter. The same place I heard all about D*s great new HD offerings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Vidonic
DTV, would you please tell us how you heard this?

It's true. The "official" announcements will be forthcoming, I'm sure.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DTVFanatic
It's true. The "official" announcements will be forthcoming, I'm sure.
Right you are, and a tip of the AVS hat for bringing the news to us first.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I am very happy to see this become a sticky thread. That makes it official in my book. Yahoo!!!!

Now to speculate rampantly. NBC and Fox switch off the Nascar season. Fox/FX has the first half, NBC/TNT has the 2nd half. Since the Daytona 500 is the biggest race, they trade it off every other year. This year NBC has it.

Now, NBC and TNT will not have Nascar Races again until July. So While Dayonta is the only race likely announced at this time, They would still have until July to shore things up for the rest of the Season. Also with TNT-HD set to debut in May, that could also play a factor.

I sure hope this doesn't end up like the Triple Crown with only one or two HD cameras to cover such a large event. I of course would forget in-car and perhaps pit cames remaining in SD for now. (unlike those who have entire football games ruined because they see a few inzone shots in SD).

·
Registered
623 Posts
This is great news. I always said that sports will be the best way to spread the gospel of HD. Even though I'm not a big fan of NASCAR, (You don't know how dangerous is it for me to say that here in NC:), I will tune in to watch at least the last 20 laps or so.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Great NEWS! I hope it's as well done as HDNet's CART program, none the less good news! Maybe I'll actually get my ROLLERBALL-HD some day ;-)

And since FOX has the other half of NASCAR they may see fit (get pushed into) to pick up the ball too...... good for everyone. HDTV..... I'm loving it!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
I hope NBC wastes some HD on golf, especially the US Open! :D

1 - 20 of 193 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.