AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Digital Bits in Monday's update had a note that Paramount said there will be no Indiana Jones DVDs this year. Why am I not surprised?

--Jerome

·
Registered
833 Posts
I am also not surprised. And to be honest, i am at a point where i don't really care as much anymore. Now, a D-Theater release would get me going, too bad Paramount isn't in the boat yet. The first 2 where shown in HD OTA in 720p. I have seen them and they are of great quality considering their age etc. A prestine 1080i DD/DTS D-Theater version of all 3... oh, better don't get me started :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
No clue. I mean, its not completely unlikely. All the studios already broadcast their movies in HD. The HD masters exist. The actual D-Theater compression/encoding is handled by JVC currently, IIRC. So the 'on the fence' studios like Paramount wouldn't have to invest into lots of equipment if they want to get their feet wet with a few titles for a small market test. The barrier just isn't as high as it was with other format launches.

I get excited at the very thought. Braveheart, Indy, Naked Gun, heck, a lot of the broadcasted HD movies from Paramount are top notch. To think that they might be even better on D-Theater. *faints*

Lets hope it happens ASAP!

·
Registered
16,552 Posts
D-VHS, while not the HD format of choice IMHO, would offer full bitrate DTS 5.1 at 24 bit/96 kHz according to JVC. They are finalizing their DTS 24/96 encoder with DTS Inc. right now.

If JVC and DTS were creative they could also offer full bitrate DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 encoding. The Indy Trilogy would be smokin' then!!

I guess DTS 24/96 and DTS-ES Discrete are as good a tide-me-over as any format until we can have a disc that also supports high rez. 7.1 discrete PCM or DSD soundtracks.

Dan

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
In 1944 there was a big name movie made and AMC still has it on at least 6 times a year "Laura" starring Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Vicent Price etc. yet that movie has not made it to disc. John Wayne used be a somebody, in 1954 he made a movie called The High and The Mighty. It was never released by the Wayne family has been in court to stop it's publication. The only way to get the movie is off a pay channel that's running a John Wayne special night.

By the time these movies are released all of fans will be dead. Why do they do this? I put a post on What is Disney waiting for in releasing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea? THEM which was supposed to be in color starred a unknown actor that became famous, for Gunsmoke the 20 year long running western with James Arness. All 3 movies made in 1954, 2 in color 1 in B & W.

We next have Audrey Hepburn fans that want her 1959 color film Green Mansions to be released, starring a young soon to in 1960 as shower killer Norman Bates. The other man in that film was Chuck Norris nemisis in Code of Silence actor Henry Silva.

Movie made in 1951 shocked the nation with an 8 foot tall robot named Gort coming out of flying saucer in The Day the Earth Stood Still really creepy music from Bernard Herrman. I have all the vhs movies & soundtracks for the movies listed above.

When is the films going to be released for the fans to buy their favorites, instead of releasing the films after the fans have either lost interest or have died. 1944 to 2002 is 56 years ago, do the math! For the last few years we are clamoring about Star Wars we seen in 1976 or Indana Jones and the Lost Ark, Crusasades it's a great film would be even greater if they upped the sound to 5.1 DD or DTS and released it on disc or don't they need the money? Do they think after everyone been tied to the chair copyrite wise, then they will release it? Whatever their reasons are they are loosing tons of money while the fans are getting older, dying, or already dead. IMHO

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
hob,

On a side note, you'll be pleased to know THEM is going to be released by Warner Bros in August.

And Disney is releasing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but maybe only in region 2. It's been announced on the Disney Collector DVD included in the French magazine Les années laser.

Regards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.