AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It really is the small little details that make a home theater. What are some of the little add-ons that you are particularly proud of? Built-ins, trim, murals, ceiling treatments, unique decor? What are the things that give your space character.

I'm sorry if there is another thread like this, I didn't see anything in the show me thread, or while browsing the rest of the board.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
When I hit 'play' on the remote, the lights dim. When I hit pause, they brighten just enough to let people head to the bathroom without blasting you. Forget all the rest, that is just cool.

Grafik Eye, Harmony One remote, and an IR repeater setup...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well, I'm not done yet, so hopefully this will work - I put ports in my back column for both HDMI (DVI adapter too) and iPod connectivity. It should make it really easy should I want to plug in either my Macbook or iPod while in the front row of seating.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Im not quite done yet with wall panels and all, but I am pretty proud of how my front curved soffit turned out with with the 4 gimbal lights and the Lutron CIR-WH in the center to control the grafik eye via IR. Also recently installed the star panel which gives the room a pretty cool vibe.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I go along with an earlier poster. An old saying is that in the dark all cats are gray and that is true also with Home Theater - when the lights dim and the Theater sized screen lights up all the "eyewash" meaning special lighting, stage, SciFi ceiling, posters and their fancy frames, popcorn machine and the rest of that stuff can't be seen and no one would be looking at it anyway if it could be seen cause there is a Theater/Movie experience going on.

However and of course the other stuff is pretty neat - please don't misunderstand cause all that cash put into the theater ambience is worth it - the back half of our theater space - (front part is for HT) has a nice big bar, beer neons and other tavern decorations (some collectible quality) four pinball games, foosball and coin-op darts so when the lights are not dim and the big screen not illuminated the "crowd" can enjoy what could be called our lobby area but it is more game themed than concession stand and we have invested considerable cash to make it as realistic a tavern/bar/game lobby area as we could afford.

I imagine that for as many as have a Theater area there are as many different decor designs - we chose games - which many commercial metro-plex commercial theaters have as well.

What about you? How is your space themed/decorated???

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
For me, I get more WOWs on the motorized pull-down screen along with the Harmony/X10 controlled lighting. Similar to the poster above I have soft-dim programmed as part of the power-on and ramp-bright as part of the power-off. Also, $3 DIY signage and themed wall-art from Bed Bath Beyond get points for detail items. My next project is going to be an equipment-rack built-in to the wall that is then hidden away by the screen lowering in front of it (with IR facilitated by a NG IR Transmitter).

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My difference maker list is (that I have in my HT):

1) Lights controlled by the remote. Play dims and pauses raises lights. Very theater like.

2) Blue rope light in the soffit.

3) Totally hidden speakers. All my 7.1 speakers are hidden. Either in columns or behind the screen. People just don't get where the sound is coming from.

The one I don't have, but am tempted to try is the star ceiling. Really like that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/15532118

What about you? How is your space themed/decorated???

Currently my home theater motif is minimalist/zen:

I'm only in the planning/design stages at the moment. When asked for design/theme input from my husband he said the theme should be "awesome" and then upon further reflection he said "or we could go with man's inhumanity to man...that could be a theme."

·
Registered
419 Posts
So far, the onyx sconces that I made. They really pop, and gives the room that "wow" factor. I've got more 'little' touches that I have to do, but for now that's my biggest 'little.'

·
Registered
151 Posts
I really enjoy working on the theme in the room and going for it. Given it will be me an my family 99% of the time in the room I do what I would enjoy seeing what sets me into that mood creating an environment.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpixie08 /forum/post/15528591

It really is the small little details that make a home theater. .

I'm giving this thread a bump because I think it is a great idea and would love to see more details that make a great theater / media room. Ideas that make people say wow!

So far I reallly like the lighting / lutron ideas and will be adding that to my room soon.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I'm about to build an in-wall rack/shelf that should clean-up the aesthetic of my front wall. It's going to cost around $25 in MDF and flat-black paint and will be a poor-mans rack-mount system. I'll post pictures back once it's complete.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
For me:

1. The grafik eye and having the remote controlled lighting scenes. Related, some of the additional lighing features like the rope light, bar lights, step lights, etc.

2. The acoustically transparent 2.37:1 aspect ratio screen (It just looks so impressive and clean)

3. Bass shakers... if I don't mention the shakers to people, they think it's all subwoofer and tend to love the effect.

There are tons of other little things I love (and would do differently) about my theater, but those are the first three that come to mind.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My guest are usually impressed with:

1. remote controlled lights that dim when the shut off and come on, like at the theaters

2. 2.35 AT screen with the speakers behind them. New guest often wonder where the sounds come from. 2.35 scope screen is a definate wow factor.

(I noticed my first two is just like Jamis).

3. The Stone doors to hide my equipment. (although I wouldn't consider those "small" things.) Most don't even realize they are doors

4. The fact that I can control my equipment with the doors close (IR repeater system) and use 1 remote (Harmony One).

5. Lastly, the Stone work. Especially when we watched National Treasure 2 or Indiana Jones, the scenes where they are in the caves, etc, the stones really blend in well. Got good comments from guest during those movies.

Old.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I really like the stone work. I was thinking about using stacked stone on the rear wall for dispersion, but my wife said no. Oh well!

CJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts