AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello girls and guys !

My name is Kevin, I am 28 years old and I am a health professional.
But honestly, we don't care!

I'm seeking for your help as I'm going to change my TV ! What a surprise right...?

I browsed a lot of topics on the forums and I allow myself to create a new one to ask all of my questions to this incredible community widely acclaimed including here in France!
Yes, I'm French, please excuse any mistakes while writing this.

I currently have a completely satisfactory Sony LCD (let's say a high-end model among the Sony mid-range of 2018) namely a KD-55XF9005.
It has been doing great for quite a while but now that I can afford much more I want to change it.

My postulate was as follows:
- If I change it is for bigger (65 minimum)
- If I change it is for OLED or QLED
- If I change I have around € 3,000, or € 3,500 in the event of a REAL favorite!

On the strength of this premise, I went to several physical stores and many forums to read a lot about what is the TV-tech right now.

I quickly preferred the OLED to the QLED already because I don't particularly like Samsung but also because the contrasts seem to me much better (it's normal, you would say).

Even if for the same budget of a 65 'OLED I can have more than 75' QLED but hey, the idea is not necessarily to put the screen size before the quality of the screen.

There is a QLED 8K on display in one of the stores where I go almost every day which pleases me a lot but the budget is exploding and I am not sure of the interest of the 8K currently.

In the end here is what I think I stopped:
- LG65Cx
- Sony range (AG8, AG9, AH8, AH9)
- My budget seems good

But I ran into a problem: HDMI 2.1.

Because what I have not yet said is that although my means allow me to change my current TV for a much better one it is especially the arrival of the PS5 which makes it almost mandatory.

And there, the Sony range becomes complicated to justify (but FGS, image and design are magnificent).
So yes, AAA 4K capped 120fps games will NEVER come out, but still, 4K 60fps requires more than what HDMI 2.0 can support.
And it would still be damn hypocritical to change my television for another television which is NOT ABLE to manage the PS5 thoroughly whereas what motivated me to change my actual TV is precisely because it will not manage the PS5 !!

I ask the question anyway: does the absence of 2.1 WILL REALLY make "less good" a Sony versus the LG ...?
I don't think anyone knows, because, after all, nobody has played with a PS5 on an AG8 or a CX. But hey we still have opinions each!

Last question, rather on the sound side: my current installation consists of two Phantom Reactor 600 in stereo connected optically to my television.
They are obviously not Dolby Atmos compatible but they sound fantastic nonetheless.

If someone has Phantoms on a television and they've changed to an Atmos installation, would they have any advice for me?
Because I don't mind keeping them for pure musical listening (in my bedroom?) and installing Atmos (Sonos?) In the livingroom instead.

Thank you very much in advance for your insights.

I hope to be able to contribute to this forum myself later.

NB:
I did not specify it but I do not intend to have my television calibrated, so I don't care about the calibration tools .
Consider that I am an "out of the box" fan!

Cheers.

·
Registered
15,169 Posts
I would stay away from Samsung myself (QLED is just a fancy term for LCD). In Europe (unlike the US), you should also consider Panasonic OLED. If you are a gamer, I would go with either the LG CX or Panny (if the latter has HDMI 2.1). Or wait for the Sony A9H which should have HDMI 2.1 (available either later this year or next year). Sony has slightly better upscaling and motion handling, but they are pretty close, and HDMI 2.1 is a big advantage for gamers.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Point of interest, the 2020 LG CX has 2.1 HDMI @ 40gbs. My 2019 LG C9 has 2.1 @ the full 48gbs. For this reason, many people prefer the C9 over the CX, if you can still find them.

There is speculation if the new PS5 and Xbox Series X consoles will push 40 or 48gbs. Some are heading it will be the lower 40gbs speed as we are seeing the 2020 units (TV's and AVR's) with the lower 40gb speed.

Having just bought a 2020 Denon 3700 receiver this was a concern of my own as I also enjoy gaming. In my case, if 48gbs is the standard then I can loop feeds to the C9 and kick audio to the 3700 using eARC. If it's 40gbs I can go to the Denon then back to the C9.

Just more options and flexibility if you can get 2.1 @ 48gbs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I wonder whether the HDMI 2.1 data rate on the C9 is really superior to the CX, or if it's more like this:

We do love our numbers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would stay away from Samsung myself (QLED is just a fancy term for LCD). In Europe (unlike the US), you should also consider Panasonic OLED. If you are a gamer, I would go with either the LG CX or Panny (if the latter has HDMI 2.1). Or wait for the Sony A9H which should have HDMI 2.1 (available either later this year or next year). Sony has slightly better upscaling and motion handling, but they are pretty close, and HDMI 2.1 is a big advantage for gamers.
Hello and thank you for your answer ! Helps me a lot !
OK, I was already keen on letting Samsung go even if prices are attractive regarding the size.
Any words about 8K ? No interest I presume...

Point of interest, the 2020 LG CX has 2.1 HDMI @ 40gbs. My 2019 LG C9 has 2.1 @ the full 48gbs. For this reason, many people prefer the C9 over the CX, if you can still find them.
There is speculation if the new PS5 and Xbox Series X consoles will push 40 or 48gbs. Some are heading it will be the lower 40gbs speed as we are seeing the 2020 units (TV's and AVR's) with the lower 40gb speed.
Having just bought a 2020 Denon 3700 receiver this was a concern of my own as I also enjoy gaming.
In my case, if 48gbs is the standard then I can loop feeds to the C9 and kick audio to the 3700 using eARC.
If it's 40gbs I can go to the Denon then back to the C9.

Just more options and flexibility if you can get 2.1 @ 48gbs.
Hey and thanks for your answer as well...
This "40Gbps limitation" is not a problem at all because the panel is a 10-bit one.
Absolutely no available sources will request more than 40Gbps to run smoothly through the HDMI cable.
With a 10-bit panel the maximum speed requested is 40.1 for the 4K/120 4:4:4 HDR 10 bits.
Even for 8K/48-60 and above will demand more than 40.

You can find all these informations here :
Link will be added when I will have posted 4 more messages LoL...
It's a false problem since we have a 10-bit panel with this CX and maybe they sacrificed HDMI speed delivery for more processor capabilities (IA and things...).
Or maybe I'm missing something.

I wonder whether the HDMI 2.1 data rate on the C9 is really superior to the CX, or if it's more like this:

We do love our numbers.
Thanks for the vid !

Any thoughts about the "real" HDMI 2.0 vs. 2.1 for a PS5 user..?

·
Registered
15,169 Posts
Hello and thank you for your answer ! Helps me a lot !
OK, I was already keen on letting Samsung go even if prices are attractive regarding the size.
Any words about 8K ? No interest I presume...
Correct, I have no interest in 8k. Most TV broadcasts are not even in 4k yet, let alone 8k. There is certainly not much 8k content out there. And most experts have said you won't be able to tell the difference between 4k and 8k with displays

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not sure why the 2020 CX downsized to 40gbs. Oddly enough the Samsung QLED's did similar things. Less zones of backlighting on the 2020 models vs the 2019 models.

For Samsung, a quick rough guide is that the 2020 model is "roughly" equal to the 1 click below 2019 model meaning...

2020 Q70T = 2019 Q60R
2020 Q80T = 2019 Q70R
2020 Q90T = 2019 Q80R

As far as 2.0 vs 2.1 on PS5, the 2.0 would be limited to 18gbs, so no 4k/120.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went from a Samsung Q900R to LG CX and it was a bit of shock how much brighter the QLED is in SDR, HDR the CX was bright and vivid like I'm used to from Samsung. I like Samsung's game motion plus that reduces a lot of the stutter in 30 fps games. The stuttering on CX is not as bad as I thought it would be after reading about it but still noticeably worse than Samsung. The CX has game motion pro but that lowers the brightness too much for my liking.

The choice between OLED and QLED(LCD still improved over the years) depends on the room, very bright rooms diminish the strengths of OLED. Also if you want picture accuracy, the LG is better at showing what content creators intended. If you like brightness and more lush vivid colors(Samsung editorializes content), go with Samsung. QLED will also give no burn in piece of mind thought the C9 and up seems pretty resilient so far. :)

Also keep in mind that the CX has aggressive auto brightness limiter that kicks in when too much of the screen gets very bright or brightness gets lower over time with static bright content.

8K doesn't seem worth it except for the possibility of the AI upscaler that might bring out more details than a native 4K screen.

Soon I'll have a Q950TS too so I'll have best of both worlds. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well guys, thank you so much for your kind answers.

I've decided that even if I love the Sony design et hype, I can't close my eyes when looking at the specs and HDMI 2.1 is clearly mandatory for my typical use…

I'll wait for the Black Friday just in case because after all my PS5 won't be there before November and my Sony FALD is still surprisingly good…

For now, the lowest price for the 65CX is 2.400€ (2.700$).
Do you think I'll be able to find at an even lower price ?

Right now I'm thinking about the 77…………

·
Registered
769 Posts
From an input lag perspective alone you're gonna wanna go LG - Sony's oddly enough have more input delay for whatever reason.

C9 if you can find one for the full 48 gbps HDMI 2.1 port

As far as VRR it doesn't have to run at 120 fps to reap the benefits. In fact if I game runs at an odd frame rate like 35 fps VRR will smooth it to look as if it's running at a higher frame rate resulting in no tearing.

·
Registered
769 Posts

I've decided that even if I love the Sony design et hype, I can't close my eyes when looking at the specs and HDMI 2.1 is clearly mandatory for my typical use…

I'll wait for the Black Friday just in case because after all my PS5 won't be there before November and my Sony FALD is still surprisingly good…

Wait till around Christmas time for a TV (just before) - best time to buy for savings. Try to find a local smaller dealer too as they're usually more flexible on pricing than big box

·
Registered
39 Posts
As far as VRR it doesn't have to run at 120 fps to reap the benefits. In fact if I game runs at an odd frame rate like 35 fps VRR will smooth it to look as if it's running at a higher frame rate resulting in no tearing.

Not necessarily, it depends on how Sony implement support for HDM-VRR (which they have been very quiet on).

If they do it system wide with with every game having to be designed with HDMI-VRR compatibility in mind of the 40-120hz VRR range plus LFC to handle sub 40fps content then that is the best possible outcome.

If they do it on a per title basis then only a handful of games will ever make use of it, console game devs will ignore it and target traditional 30fps/60fps modes, maybe the odd game with a 120fps mode will support it, this is the bad outcome.

We know that the the bulk of the PS5 line up is so far revealed is 30fps with a few 60fps, two racing games will have a 120fps mode. Console 30fps games often use custom vsync modes which do not work with HDMI-VRR so without that mandatory support devs have to go out of their way to support VRR. Also don't expect PS4 games to benefit from it either, they would most likely have to be patched.

·
Registered
9,395 Posts
nolimits76;59929124[B said:
]Not sure why the 2020 CX downsized to 40gbs. Oddly enough the Samsung QLED's did similar things. Less zones of backlighting on the 2020 models vs the 2019 models. [/B]

For Samsung, a quick rough guide is that the 2020 model is "roughly" equal to the 1 click below 2019 model meaning...

2020 Q70T = 2019 Q60R
2020 Q80T = 2019 Q70R
2020 Q90T = 2019 Q80R

As far as 2.0 vs 2.1 on PS5, the 2.0 would be limited to 18gbs, so no 4k/120.

Because no tv that has a 10bit panel needs 48Gbps because the only benefit for 48Gbps is for 12bit [email protected] hz 444. The extra bandwidth was used for picture qaulity. 40.1Gbps is all that is required to do 10bit [email protected] 444 HDR.

Surround recievers are coming out Denon and Marantz have only 40Gbps HDMI 2.1 for the same reasons

Attachments

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Despite what we are told personally I find Oct to be a good month to buy items like TVs. The conventional wisdom is these items don't go on sale in Oct early Nov because of Black Friday later in the month but I've found the prices to be equal to or better especially on Amazon. The other bonus is there are typically no shortages at this time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hello and many thanks.

I've decided to wait a little bit.
But I've recently found an LG C9 65' in a store nearby… 

What would you guys recommend ?

Buy it or leave it where he stands ?

EDIT : FYK

- C9 65 : 1800€
- Best CX Price : 2400€

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello and many thanks.

I've decided to wait a little bit.
But I've recently found an LG C9 65' in a store nearby…

What would you guys recommend ?

Buy it or leave it where he stands ?

EDIT : FYK

- C9 65 : 1800€
- Best CX Price : 2400€

Thats seems a pretty good price go for the 65 C9.

The PS5 is unlikely to make use of the extra improvements on the CX (if were only talking about games), if the price was a lower on the CX I'd go with that but for an extra 600 that's too much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey and thanks.

My only worry is about FreeSync not supported on the C9 but someone is addressing this in another thread… 

It would be a good saving but I won't bother spending extra if CX is worth it !

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Went to Best Buy yesterday and looked at the TVs. They had OLEDs from LG and Sony, They also had the 8K Samsung's. I know OLED wins the shootouts and properly calibrated in your home is the best TV, but I would guess 9 out of 10 normal people would have picked the 85" Samsung 8K as the best looking TV in the store. My kids did. It was playing 8K content and looked amazing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Went to Best Buy yesterday and looked at the TVs. They had OLEDs from LG and Sony, They also had the 8K Samsung's. I know OLED wins the shootouts and properly calibrated in your home is the best TV, but I would guess 9 out of 10 normal people would have picked the 85" Samsung 8K as the best looking TV in the store. My kids did. It was playing 8K content and looked amazing.
Kids like brightness and punchy colors. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well guys hello and thanks.

I bought the C9 yesterday. What an amazing screen……

Have some pics for this interested.

BTW I bought it for 1650€ (or 1880$) which is a magnificent price…

Reactions: skip61
1 - 20 of 20 Posts