AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue recently, ever since I started doing Blu-Ray rips. In the past (for all of my SD stuff) I put a movie into iTunes, do a google search for the cover art, and apply it via iTunes. No problems. Now, with my HD rips, I follow the same process, but when I press "add" from the "get info" menu, it doesn't take. All I get is a video thumbnail. Very frustrating.

Has anyone else seen this, or better, is there any proposed solution? Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's probably to do with the video container format you are using. I'm guessing you used .mp4 for SD stuff and maybe .mkv for HD?

There are only certain file formats that will embed a thumbnail in iTunes - I know MP4 is one of them, probably .MOV as well.

A workaround is to open the .MKV or whatever in Quicktime and save as, which will put it in a .MOV container. You can either do self contained - if you only want one file, or you can save as a reference file - if you want to keep the original .MKV for other purposes. In this case, the reference file .MOV goes into iTunes, and that points to the original file - which is stored wherever you want to put it.

VideoDrive does a nice job at automating the metadata/thumbnail/import into iTunes process and is very customisable. (I have no connection to the developer - just been happy with it's developement and responsiveness to requests)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I should have been more specific with the file formats I am using. At any rate, the problem was the audio formats I was selecting in Handbrake. Crazy, right? Here's the fix:

When I encoded (MKV -> m4V), I was changing the 1st audio track to AC3 passthrough and the 2nd track to core audio. iTunes and the ATV would play this file, but iTunes would NOT allow me to change the cover art. By swapping these 2 (core audio as track 1, AC3 as track 2), everything was hunky-dory (custom album art and all). Freaking weird, but problem solved so all is well!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.