AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just had some work done to my computer (a touchscreen replaced). Last night I ripped two CD's and imported them into my library .

I keep all my music files on a NAS which is mapped to drive "M:" on my Windows laptop. I fired up iTunes and everything looked OK, then I plugged in my iPod to sync the new files to it and iTunes told me that my computer was no longer authorized. I tried to authorize my computer and it told me that it was already authorized, but still warned me that some of my oldest purchases would not be playable. I deauthorized the machine and then reauthorized it. Here is where the fun started:

iTunes told me that my iPod was 177Gb over capacity, even though I have 13Gb free. Then I noticed that the CD's I had ripped last night had the dreaded ! mark next to them. I checked the file location on one of them and it said it was located on my C: drive. It is not, I am listening to it at this moment via a DLNA server running on my NAS. I checked the location of my iTunes library in Preferences and it had been changed from M:\Music to the usual default location C:\Users\John\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music.

Not only that it had begun copying some of my content from the old location (many files are still located on the M: drive) into the location on my C: drive. I spent MONTHS getting a mixed up library straightened out with only ONE copy of a each file in my library location so that I could use a DLNA server for most listening needs and dispense with iTunes except for managing the library on my iPod.

So here is what happened:

iTunes version is 12.1

1. Default location of iTunes library changed after deauthorize/authorize cycle for machine
2. iTunes began copying files from NAS drive mapped at M: to new location.
3. This leaves some files in the old (and desired) location of M:\Music and some at the new library location.

As I mentioned above I've had iTunes do this before and it took me months to figure out what was going on and then fix things. You can't just change the library location and consolidate the library because it will copy files over blindly and name them something with the name "filename.m4a" to "filename 1.m4a" if it finds a file of the same name in the destination. Arrrrgh! Why does Apple write software which makes major changes w/o telling what it is about to do? This is such a major software faux pas.

So, does anyone have any idea of how to fix this mess w/o destroying my library? Any tools for Windows which help to move things around? I'm desperate, so I don't mind if I have to pay, but I am really, really pissed off at Apple right now. :mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope you find a solution and i wish i could help.
I had something similar happen to me and after i started over again i decided to purchase itunes match. For the sake of £20 per year or whatever it is, i know i can still get to my library and replace everything if my NAS dies.

Good luck

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Solution: Stop using iTunes.....
Believe me, I wish I could, but I have everything ripped to ALAC and use an iPod in my car a lot. Will something like JRiver handle syncing an iPod and ALAC files?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah,... or keep a small itunes library if you have iOS stuff ... Just keep a small library on a hard drive for that.

iTunes on the NAS type stuff is do-able but dangerous I suppose because it's not built for that type of use.
Actually this problem could just as easily have happened if I had two drives on the same machine. The root of the problem was that iTunes arbitrarily changed the location of my iTunes music folder and started copying files w/o asking me. Bad Apple, bad, bad Apple.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about Media Monkey. I used it years ago and it worked pretty well back then.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Bill
I looked at it, but it didn't seem to handle ALAC files. Everything but ALAC, but alas, no ALAC, at least as far as I could find last time I looked at it, which was a couple of years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts