AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I recently acquired a hand-me-down iPod. This is the first Apple device I have ever had. The previous owner recommeded that I download and install iTunes + Quicktime on a PC to have access to all available content from Apple for the iPod.

I've shied away from Quicktime on my PCs, but iTunes requires that it be installed along with iTunes itself. Should I just go ahead and install both on my HTPC?

HTPC specs:

MB: Asus P4P800

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz 512MB L2 cache (Northwood core)

GPU: Nvidia 6600GT 128MB (AGP)

Programs used to play media:

TheaterTek

MyHD software

VLC Videolan

Foobar 2000 (audio)

The $64,000 question: to install or not to install (iTunes + Quicktime) on this dinosaur I use as my HTPC? Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice

·
Registered
10 Posts
you cannot use winamp to manage apple products, you need itunes. Yes quicktime comes with it, but you do not have to use quicktime. Just disable it. But if you want to get apps and games and music for your iPod, itunes is awsome for that, they have more content than any other online store. It should run fine on your pc.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.A.M. /forum/post/20903551

you cannot use winamp to manage apple products, you need itunes. Yes quicktime comes with it, but you do not have to use quicktime. Just disable it. But if you want to get apps and games and music for your iPod, itunes is awsome for that, they have more content than any other online store. It should run fine on your pc.

Another brainwashed FanBoi.... http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/08...ing-your-ipod/

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
So you are telling me that these programs will Update the OS automatically on your apple devices when you plug them? I dont think so. I also do not see anywhere to access the iTunes store through any of those programs either. Can they do that? I didn't think so.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.A.M.
Another idiot who is still stealing music.
Just what do you mean by that? When did you stop stealing music? Yep. I steal DRM free music from Amazon (for $.99 a song). I also steal music from my CD collection (for a couple bucks an album). Oh, and don't forget the Live Music Archive. It too is DRM free (actually it's free of cost too!). Any software that is so paranoid that you can't stop it from auto-running, like iTunes and Quicktime, has no place in my machines. The same goes for Adobe Reader, because it insists on re-installing and auto-running the auto-updater every time you use it it too is gone. I use FoxIt to read PDFs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I see you still didn't answer the questions in my reply. Just goes to show you shoot off your mouth without even knowing what you are talking about. He said he wanted access to available content from APPLE, and well i answered with the only way. Then you get all stupid rambling off crap that has nothing to even do with that. Go play somewhere else.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I believe I did. A properly designed device simply doesn't need constant firmware updates. As to the Apple iTune store, there are so many other sources of programming out there that one can get along fine without it. Just what 'content' does apple offer that makes it worth installing what amounts to a Trojan to acquire?

·
Registered
10 Posts
yes, but that is not what he was asking now, was it?

and iTunes has a larger database of any other site out there, thats what it offers. You are talking about something you don't even know anything about, so you may as well just give it up. Your stupid fanboi comment said it all.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I apologize for the 'fanboi' comment. Zealot would have been more appropriate. As to knowing what I'm talking about, I raised 4 teenagers who had a variety of iThingies and they've all survived fine without iTunes. Granted Apple does place obstacles and hurdles in the way to try to prevent iPod users from not being absorbed by the 'Apple Eco-System', but it can be done. As to the larger catalog, I'll have to take your word for it because as far as I can tell you can't even get a glimpse of it without being absorbed into the 'Eco-System'...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.