AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I think I may scrap my mATX idea and go straight to ITX.

Using the "How to..." sticky above, I specked out a HTPC.

My question is, will THIS:

APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply

...with this...

ZOTAC H55ITX-A-E LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

fit with this?

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual TV Tuner / Encoder 1229 PCI-Express x1 Interface

My main concern is the length of the card. At first glance, it appears quite long and may bump into something else. Has anyone else tried this build with this particular case?

I'm aware of the external options, like HD homerun (and the cablecard version), but if that were to be my only option, I might as well just go back to the mATX design I spec'd out.

The rest of the system is exactly how he spec'd it (I may throw in 4G RAM)

-Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

-G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-2GBNQ

-Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Model BX80616I3530

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Don't know about length but if the NTSC/analog inputs aren't required you might want to get a Duet instead.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant /forum/post/18211286

Don't know about length but if the NTSC/analog inputs aren't required you might want to get a Duet instead.

I assume this is what you mean..

AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet - PCTV Tuner (A188 - White Box) MTVHDDUWB PCI-Express x1 Interface

Seems to be a nice option. Is there anywhere I can go to see what I WILL lose when I give up NTSC tuning? I'm guessing that since I'm using cable and not antenna, I will not lose anything.

Thanks a ton for the assistance.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappjay /forum/post/18211348

Seems to be a nice option. Is there anywhere I can go to see what I WILL lose when I give up NTSC tuning? I'm guessing that since I'm using cable and not antenna, I will not lose anything.

Other way around. If you give up NTSC tuning, you'll lose all the analog channels. Connect your HDTV directly to the wall jack and search for channels. On my Panny Plasma, you can look at the list of channels found and see what type they are.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Many cable cos are dumping analog channels (mine is killing them in sept).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant /forum/post/18211477

Thanks for the info.

After doing a auto search, it appears as if all, if not most, of the 2-80 channels have dupes, some HD, some not, way up in the channel range. I assume those are the ClearQAM/ATSC channels.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant /forum/post/18211477

True but at least there are still some on cable while the analogs have been mostly cleared out in the antenna space.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts