AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok---been lurking here for years. Now getting serious and actually close to finishing my theater. Heres the catch....its in an outbuilding/barn/playhouse behind our house. Its a neat building with a large playroom/gymnasium. The theater will be in the loft that overlooks the play area. The theater is 20 feet wide by 30 ft deep. The first 20 ft of the loft will be theater, with a bar gathering area in the back 10 ft. Jason from AVS did my prewire when I was very ignorant. Now nearly two years later and I know a lot more (but still learning) and Im doing most of the finish work myself.

Heres the dilemma: the loft is open to the gym below. Roughly 18 of the 30 ft of wall are open to below. Now I know the audiophiles are going to freak, but it is a cool thing to see. Hopefully these pics I post show up.

I dont care about limiting sound in the sense that its a separate building so I dont care about sound getting into the gym. We wont be playing hoops and watching movies simultaneously. I am very concerned when watching movies about echo bouncing back from the gym. So--Id like to be able to close off the opening during movie watching (I dont think it will matter much while watching sports as I likely wont be cranking the sound). Ive got some thoughts but would like to see what the forum thinks.

Thanks in advance....heres the pics to help explain:

Tony

·
Registered
14 Posts
what if you installed a waist high wall, and then used some sort of shutters or windows between the wall and the ceiling?

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
The initial questions that came to mind are:

What kind of budget do you have?

Do you have a preference as to what the end solution looks like?

Since your goal is more acoustics versus isolation, I think you have some realistic options.

BTW, I love that space and that room. My wife and I looked at a place that had an outbuilding like that (gym, play area, bonus area, etc...), and we considered pulling the trigger on it. We ended up building new instead, but I do miss the idea of what that kind of space could have become.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im getting towards the end of my budget! Need to save some $$ for equipment. Would like to do it for 1000-1500. Dont want it to be too ugly.

Ive looked at acoustic blankets--waitng on an estimate...basically a quilted blanket over fiberglass often used in industrial settings.

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
My initial thought is something like this: http://www.slidingdoorco.com/

For the finished pro products, that is over your budget, however you might be able to get some good ideas there and go DIY. Check out this DIY sliding wall: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/s...hideout-007462

Another thought is instead of the sliding wall / sliding room divider is to just build a full wall, and then put in an oversized set of double doors. You can get up to 8 foot wide. French doors, patio doors, both swing and sliders, might be an option. Going with a very wide door, you can swing/slide that open and, although it won't be fully open, will give you the open feeling.

The issue, of course, is will it rattle. Your audio in the room will obviously determine that. If you're going with power and bass, the sliding wall might not work for you - or would require some clever mods to make sure there are no rattles. Considering that you aren't talking isolation at all, it is easier to address rattles of a sliding wall or doors versus sound leaking.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
OK, ignore the swinging door concept, I didn't look at the bottom pic close enough earlier. The stairwell fubars much of my first suggestions.

Looking at the second pic more, I'd build a wall up to the height of the railing, and then install windows for the top. The windows over the stairwell can be fixed, and then the windows past the stairwell would slide, or open into the gym.

Or, move the stairs.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTTS /forum/post/18143892

Ok---been lurking here for years. Now getting serious and actually close to finishing my theater. Heres the catch....its in an outbuilding/barn/playhouse behind our house. Its a neat building with a large playroom/gymnasium. The theater will be in the loft that overlooks the play area. The theater is 20 feet wide by 30 ft deep. The first 20 ft of the loft will be theater, with a bar gathering area in the back 10 ft. Jason from AVS did my prewire when I was very ignorant. Now nearly two years later and I know a lot more (but still learning) and Im doing most of the finish work myself.

Heres the dilemma: the loft is open to the gym below. Roughly 18 of the 30 ft of wall are open to below. Now I know the audiophiles are going to freak, but it is a cool thing to see. Hopefully these pics I post show up.

I dont care about limiting sound in the sense that its a separate building so I dont care about sound getting into the gym. We wont be playing hoops and watching movies simultaneously. I am very concerned when watching movies about echo bouncing back from the gym. So--Id like to be able to close off the opening during movie watching (I dont think it will matter much while watching sports as I likely wont be cranking the sound). Ive got some thoughts but would like to see what the forum thinks.

Thanks in advance....heres the pics to help explain:

Tony

im loving that gym

·
Registered
622 Posts

Quote:
Would like to do it for 1000-1500.

Heavy curtains may be the only option that will fit your budget. They might be enough to prevent noticeable echoes. You could never get a subwoofer to pressurize the theater in a meaningful way, though.

A roll-up garage door would close up most of the space and not be too horrible expensive, but it would probably rattle something awful.

Tough design challenge!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My neighbor and I talked about building panels across the space that could be attached together and then taken down when wanted, much like people in my old neighborhood use to put screens across the front of the garage opening in the summer to create a porch. What material would be best....we would then wrap it in cloth and could put a backing on it if needbe.

Tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.