AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like I said; I've been looking around everywhere to find a solution for the past 2 days. (I guess I can't post direct links atm so I guess we have to deal with that.)

My Motherboard: www . newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128412

has a Realtek ALC888 chipset.

Updated to the first driver on this page:

www . gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=3254&ost=windows+7+64bit#anchor_os

I am running a 64bit Windows7.

Everything I read states that this will reproduce DTS and DD through a Coax connection.

However everything defaults to Linear PCM.

When I force S/PDIF in VLC my receiver jumps back and forth as if receiving DTS for a split second then receiving Linear PCM.

What this sounds like is a quarter of a second of audio being pulsed about 6-8 times; silence for about 1 second; then another audio clip does the same thing.

My receiver is ancient at this point; heres a link to a PDF manual.

http:// resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/98/21100ien.pdf

Though as long as the signal being sent is uncompressed I don't see any reason as to why the DTS wouldn't work.

Playback devices > Realtek Digital Output > Supported Formats.

I have

DTS audio

Dolby Digital

both checked

Sample rates checked are

44.1kHz

48.0kHz

When I hit the "Test" button next to any one of these it works; the receiver remains on DTS or DD throughout the test; and the audio is clear. Each speaker works as intended.

The only other thing I can think of is that I have no idea if the impedance of the cable I am using is 75 ohms. I know RCA refers to the connection type; but it used to be a cable behind my cable box transporting the L/R(white/red) audio. The cable doesn't feel stiff like the typical coaxial with the screw on connection at the end however. However if the tests work; I can't imagine it's the wire.

I'd be happy to provide any other information you might need. I provided anything I thought would be helpful.

Thanks for any help or idea guys; I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Is there any reason not to try anything other than VLC to play the file you're having trouble with?

·
Registered
12,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amburgey /forum/post/18251259

Everything I read states that this will reproduce DTS and DD through a Coax connection. However everything defaults to Linear PCM.

When I force S/PDIF in VLC my receiver jumps back and forth as if receiving DTS for a split second then receiving Linear PCM.

What this sounds like is a quarter of a second of audio being pulsed about 6-8 times; silence for about 1 second; then another audio clip does the same thing.

Though as long as the signal being sent is uncompressed I don't see any reason as to why the DTS wouldn't work.

I'm not sure I can decipher what's flowing where. If you want to hear a DTS bitstream, then the signal has to be sent compressd into the JVC AVR. Uncompressed means PCM stereo.

The symptoms sound as though a bitstream is being sent, but something is corrupting it, such as a digital volume control. If the DTS data is "gain changed" by a PCM-oriented device, it can try to decode but then breaks.

What is this VLC device?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VLC is a media player; that tends to play 99% of the file extensions somebody may come across.

www . videolan.org/vlc/

Also I guess I just mixed uncompressed and compressed up above; sorry for the confusion.

I have tried to play these files

www . kellyindustries.com/sounds.html

in iTunes. The sound wasn't corrupted in the same way.

These two files from that site produced these results.

The Other Side - DTS (WAV @ 44.1kHz/16-bit Stereo)
produced static

The Other Side - Dolby Digital Encoded (AC-3 5.1 Surround @ 48kHz/16-bit)
Made a very obnoxious chopping sound.

Neither has any change in it's sound through the duration.

In iTunes I disabled everything that might effect the playback; including the equalizer and everything in Edit >Preferences>Playback is unchecked. In my OS's volume controls I turned everything to max.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
BTW VLC is the most unpopular player in this forum, for several reasons. (So you may not get a good advice here.) I would stay away from VLC too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting; thanks. I'll make sure to check out some of the other ones. See if I have better luck.

·
Registered
12,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amburgey /forum/post/18252447

These two files from that site produced these results.

The Other Side - DTS (WAV @ 44.1kHz/16-bit Stereo)
produced static

That's what a DTS bitstream sounds like when fed directly to a DAC.

Quote:
The Other Side - Dolby Digital Encoded (AC-3 5.1 Surround @ 48kHz/16-bit)
Made a very obnoxious chopping sound.

That's what a Dolby Digital bitstream sounds like when fed directly to a DAC.

So the question is where is the decoder, and what is preventing it from operating on these streams?

Quote:
In iTunes I disabled everything that might effect the playback; including the equalizer and everything in Edit >Preferences>Playback is unchecked. In my OS's volume controls I turned everything to max.

I'm not sure that iTunes is compatible with DTS and DD bitstreams. If it treats them like wav files, you'll hear the noises you described.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So would you have any idea how to get past the DAC.

I have been playing around with MPC-HC; but nothing seems to send DTS to my reciever. Even MPC-HC is giving me the same static and pulsing that Roger says comes from the audio stream being intercepted by the DAC.

I've been all through my audio settings inside Windows 7 and cannot seem to find the correct option/s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright so; I got WMC; installed Shark007 codecs. It's working in WMC; but I hate WMC with a passion; I'd prefer a windowed program. Problem solved though. Thanks for the feedback guys.

If you could possibly inform me of the settings in WMC-HC to get things working I'd really appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts