AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a good digital projector and was seriously considering the HT1100 + anamorphic lens as it seems to be giving to best of both 16:9 and 4:3 worlds.

But then I stumbled upon CRT and was opened up to a confusing but seemingly cost effective world of projectors. I wanted to get people's input who are knowledgeable in these fields on what would be the better choice for HDTV viewing, HD gaming, and DVD viewing. (Not just considering the HT1100, but digital vs. CRT)

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't know if you know it but you've just fallen down the rabbit hole. CRT Vs. PJ is the oldest and most contentious debate in all of projectordom. No one ever climbs out of this hole unscathed. :)

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
As wae5 alluded to, there is no best choice for everybody. If you are in an area where there is a CRT owner willing to demo then you may want to see if you can go get a look at one that is setup reasonably well and then go look at a digital that is setup reasonably well. Part of the answer depends on how much you plan to do yourself also as people generally put more time into the CRTs.

--Darin

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Remember also that the CRT PJ is a big, heavy lump compared to a small, light (and portable) unit. The CRT can give you a better picture, but can require more tuning maintenance (those are the reasons why I went to LCD/DLP PJs).

Darin and wae5 have given you good advice.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wae5
I don't know if you know it but you've just fallen down the rabbit hole. CRT Vs. PJ is the oldest and most contentious debate in all of projectordom. No one ever climbs out of this hole unscathed. :)
Currently, a high quality highly tuned CRT has no equal. On the other hand digitals keep getting better and cheaper all the time. Both solutions are capable and merit your investigation to see which satisfies you most. As wae5 says "No one ever climbs out of this hole unscathed." He is so right. You'll have to earn your stipes just like the rest of us. Good hunting.

·
Registered
491 Posts
njhajj, where are you located? CRT owners are usually quite happy to show off their setups. Here are a couple of other things to consider in the CRT vs. digital arena:

Scaling: Most digitals come with a scaler built in so you can scale that 480i DVD to the projector's native res. Most CRTs don't. So you'll either need to get an external scaler, use an HTPC, or get an upscaling RGBHV DVD player if you go with a CRT.

Connectivity: I don't know of a single CRT that has an HDCP compatible input board. I believe there are some after market DVI input boards, but I don't think they're HDCP compatible. This could limit your display resolution when Bluray and HD-DVD come out.

I currently own a Barco 801 CRT, but my next projector will be a digital box. The black levels have improved enough on the current crop of DLPs that I'm comfortable making the switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.