AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO i'm putting together my first "real" ht/music system. I bought an Onkyo 805 and am now looking for speakers. I had done tons of reading and was dead set on SVS, but auditioning some paradigm mini's at a local B&M store led to a lot more reading, which means time for tough decisions. I would like a 5.1 system that can handle both movies and music well, but i'm a musician at heart and music performance is more important in the end. My music listening is varied, from classic rock to classical, to modern pop/electronic stuff like the shins and beck. As for movies, I watch pretty much everything! I have done a ton of reading in the forums about Aperion, PSB, Paradigm, SVS, Ascend, AV123, Elemental Design, etc. Quite frankly, i'm distraught and overwhelmed. How does one choose? My budget is somewhat flexible, ~$1500 incl. shipping though a couple hundred either way is just fine. My room is 8x13 right now but that's only for a year or two, so i would like a system that can easily be upgraded to 7.1. I'm thinking bookshelves both due to space issues and because a nice sub should eliminate the need for floorstanders. After much deliberation, here are three potentials and my thoughts.

eD ATA-6T6 mtm pairs for main & surround, 6T6 MTM single front, a3-300 sub - $1190 shipped

People seem to love them, but i've heard they're better for movies than music. The price is right, especially with the package discount. I like that all the speakers would be timbre-matched.

Ascend CMT-340SE's for main & center, CBM-170SE for surround, eD a3-300 sub - $1684 shipped

CMT-340's have a great rep on the forums (although i'd really love the sierra-1's
). Ascends are just awesome speakers. Rear ports will make proper placement tricky. Surrounds not timbre-matched is a downside.

SVS SCS-01 mains & center, SBS-01 surround, PB-NSD12 sub - $1465 shipped

SCS-01's have a rep for being able to handle high volume (although not an issue in my room) and get great user reviews. SVS apparently makes some great subs. Downfall is once again lack of timbre-matched surrounds.

Also, if people think i would really not be happy with music performance from the above systems (my current setup is best buy sony speakers), i would consider getting a pair of Ascend Sierra-1's and a matched center, maybe with the A3-300 or PB-NSD12 till I can afford some surrounds. I would prefer not to go this route, but will if need be.

Any comments on the above system ideas, or new suggestions from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Sorry to bother you as yet another newb trying to figure his cheap **** out.

Thanks,

Jacob

·
Registered
1,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraber /forum/post/14211609

Also, if people think i would really not be happy with music performance from the above systems (my current setup is best buy sony speakers), i would consider getting a pair of Ascend Sierra-1's and a matched center, maybe with the A3-300 or PB-NSD12 till I can afford some surrounds. I would prefer not to go this route, but will if need be.

Based on the reading I've done I would go this route. I know it's not the answer you're wanting to hear, but I just read a review last night from a guy on the forums who sent his 340's back, and kept his Sierras as he wasn't happy with the performance of the 340's.

Either way though YMMV and you may love them
Don't all of these companies offer in home trial?

-Chad

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Based on the systems you mentioned, I too would go with the three Ascend Sierra's up front. I've heard them and like them very much for the price. Of course, you may hate them, so better to score an audition if you can first. Someone on this forum or the Ascend forum may invite you over to listen. All you have to do is get the word out that you are looking.

Another possibility would be to order the mains from each of the three companies you mentioned. Compare them in your home with your gear, then keep the winner and return the losers for a full refund. Finally, purchase the rest of the 5.1 package when you can. In my opinion, that's the best route to take, but do what you have to.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Jacob, speaker preferences are unique to the individual. Everyone wants to have the best speakers at $XXX but nothing like that exists. You have to decide what you like best. At your budget you can afford to invest $100-200 in shipping costs to make sure you get the speakers you like, I really believe it'll be worth it. Subs are subs, you obviously don't need to buy your sub from the same company as your speakers. I'd settle first on a sub and buy that. Then order 2-3 pairs of bookshelfs and listen to them all and send back the 2 losers. After you have your winner, buy the center and surrounds that fit your budget from the same manufacturer. You might spend $50-70 bucks shipping each pair back but it'll be worth it. Not only will you have the speakers you like best but you'll have the piece of mind knowing that you love what you have. If you just buy one without hearing the others you might find yourself always wondering what the others sounded like.

I think your options are very good options. IMO you should also strongly consider the PSB Image B-25's. They get great reviews and you can find them on sale.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraber /forum/post/14211609

Surrounds not timbre-matched is a downside.

The timbre match between the 340's and 170's is excellent. Also, if you do not mind the natural bamboo finish, their is a sale on Sierras.

I am with Nuance, you should do what you can to try all that you are considering.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Only your ears can decide what you will like. My personal picks are as follows:

Monitor Audio

PSB

Axiom

Av123

Ascend

Have you heard any speakers that you do like? If so, what were they?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Like everyone else says, you may wanna listen to some of the speakers first and chose. Are you considering buying use. Audiogon and ebay should have some of these for a good price. Now I dont know about the other subs, but ed do make good ones for the money.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/14213460

Only your ears can decide what you will like. My personal picks are as follows:

Monitor Audio

PSB

Axiom
Av123

Ascend

Have you heard any speakers that you do like? If so, what were they?

I will also give a recommendation for av123. You can go to their site at ********** and now they are offering free in home trial where they will reimburse you for shipping if you are not happy with the speakers. They are great speakers, and they are great quality for the price. Their x series speakers may be just what you are looking for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice, guys. I have been perusing the ascend site and am definitely considering the Sierra-1's, at least to try out for awhile. The more i think about it, it makes more sense to get good mains and worry about surrounds later. I'll ask around, see if i can get some auditions in. Thanks again!

-Jacob

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraber /forum/post/14216514

thanks for the advice, guys. I have been perusing the ascend site and am definitely considering the Sierra-1's, at least to try out for awhile. The more i think about it, it makes more sense to get good mains and worry about surrounds later. I'll ask around, see if i can get some auditions in. Thanks again!

-Jacob

+1 ^

1 - 10 of 10 Posts