AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened twice so far. I'm connecting a vcr to a (2 rca outputs to 3 inputs). The first time I just assumed it was a problem with the vcr, which I got at a thrift store but it happened again with a second vcr. Both times the vcr has worked for a little while and then gone caput. The first time it was gradual, watched one movie on the vcr then a few days later it wouldn't work but when I unplugged and plugged back in it worked, then the next day it was completely gone. Couldn't even eject the tape in it. The second time again I watched a full movie on it, then a few days later I was starting to watch a movie and tried changing the aspect ratio on the projector--there was a few seconds of scrambled video then blue screen, again vcr was totally unresponsive. After they fry, both VCR's power lights are on and I hear a high bitched buzzing sound from them but they are totally unresponsive to pressing buttons, including power.

Audio is 1/8th inch output from the projector to computer speakers.

And everything is plugged into the wall.

Any ideas? Am I connecting something wrong?

·
Registered
663 Posts
was there a cable tv connection to the VCR in question? I've seen bad electrical wiring create the conditions for voltage trying to find its way to ground thru the cable line & voltage being introduced into the grounding by bad equipment on the cable company's part. If no cable and everything is plugged into the same outlet, you have stumped me other than suggest your last two VCRs were on the verge of death already.

Time to bust out the volt meter and start checking for proper grounding or call an electrician.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was no cable connection... Thanks for the help though, guess I'm as stumped as you are. I may just try a new VCR, got one that seems like a newer model than the first two. The nice thing about VCR's is it's pretty affordable to try figuring this out through trial and error...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
How close to the projector was the VCR? Projectors tend to throw off a lot of heat, so if the VCR was close to it you may have overheated the VCRs.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneufeld  /t/1472303/ive-fried-two-vcrs-connecting-them-to-my-video-projector-whats-going-on#post_23303783

This has happened twice so far. I'm connecting a vcr to a (2 rca outputs to 3 inputs). ...

Audio is 1/8th inch output from the projector to computer speakers.

And everything is plugged into the wall.

Any ideas? Am I connecting something wrong?

Can you snap a picture of how you are connecting these pieces? That is an odd scenario, pics showing each connection might help...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just set up the 3rd VCR, working so far. I think I may have realized the problem, though not sure but I was using what I believe is a composite video cable (green, blue, red) to connect RCA (red, yellow, white) outputs and inputs. Switched to what i think is an RCA cable and working so far... Could that have been it?

FYI--first two VCR's came from a thrift store and a yard sale, this third one is a better one, came from my parents' house. And the VCR's were not close to the projector.

·
Registered
663 Posts
jacket color on your cable has little to do with whether it is passing the signals you put on it. There is no technical reason that an undamaged component video cable couldn't be substituted for one intended for composite video and unbalanced stereo audio. (Your typical yellow, red, white w/RCA connector setup)

Lots of people using 75 ohm video coax for audio, especially for subwoofers.

I call shenanigans on your patch cord causing the other VCRs to die.

Not trying to be a smart arse, just trying to help you understand how things should work.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Whats a VCR ? Is it a HTPC ? Joking aside , I concur with weaselfest , the colors of the cables doesn't matter I've substituted component for composite in a pinch before and didn't fry anything . My guess is the problem was with where you sourced your components , thrift stores and yard sales are great for vintage clothing (if you're into that) but not for reliable electronics . Buying a 15 year old vcr from goodwill for $8 you really don't know what the previous owners kids stuffed in it . Grilled cheese anyone?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13  /t/1472303/ive-fried-two-vcrs-conne...o-projector-whats-going-on/0_40#post_23341916

Whats a VCR ? Is it a HTPC ? Joking aside , I concur with weaselfest , the colors of the cables doesn't matter I've substituted component for composite in a pinch before and didn't fry anything . My guess is the problem was with where you sourced your components , thrift stores and yard sales are great for vintage clothing (if you're into that) but not for reliable electronics . Buying a 15 year old vcr from goodwill for $8 you really don't know what the previous owners kids stuffed in it . Grilled cheese anyone?

I've also used component video cables for composite and vice versa. I'd also bet on getting a few wonky VCR's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts