AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not even completely sure what it is

I started a thread on the Speakers and Subs forum and after explaining my wants some folks suggested possibly building a THT. After a bit of research I realize that I have the perfect spot for one but don't know hardly anything about them.

I just know that I have a huge theater room (9,600 cubic feet), good speakers (Klipsch WF 35s with matching center and surrounds), good picture and poor subwoofer. I am trying to find the best bang for the buck to get an adequate amount of Bass and have the facility and ability to build pretty much anything. So, my question is where do I start? Where do I get the components and how does something like this compare performance wise to the Velodyne setup my HT guy recommended for me? (CS 1250 amp with matching 15" sub)

·
Registered
440 Posts
1. Buy the kit directions from here... http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

2. Read up on every one of the THT threads. There are a bunch so look back about 10 pages.

3. Go to Parts Express and buy these... http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-804 , http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-190

4. Buy wood, clamps, glue, screws, etc. and start building.

5. Sit back and enjoy the rumble that a 400.00 DIY sub can produce

I cannot comment on the Velo sub although I assume the THT would perform on par or better than it at a significantly cheaper price. Your room is huge so go with the 36" wide version. After you see how cool it is, buy more stuff and build a second one

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I really dont even know how much money you would have to spend commercially to get a comparable sub to the THT. Meaning being able to match the max SPL with great sound quality and very minimal distortion. It would honestly have to be several thousand's. Recently there was a member who replaced 2 ed A7S-650's with dual THT's. Even though he sacrificed a bit of low end extension hes very happy with his move. Not sure how much money your willing to spend total on a sub. But if wanted to spend about 3.5x's as much as a THT you could go with a danley DTS-10 DIY kit. It would give you some additional extension hard to say how much because every room isnt created equal. But it should be safe to say the THT will give you rock solid 20hz and the DTS-10 should give you rock solid 14hz. Im cheap and am always looking for the best bang for the buck. That being said the THT is most definitely it no question at all. But there are other options if your willing to crack open that wallet lol.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Corner loading is best. The largest size is a 36" cube so, not small. The directions have measurements for the 24.5" wide version but you can go from 18" all the way to 36" wide. The height and length stay constant at 36".

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkidd /forum/post/18167469

Is the position or orientation of the finished product critical? What is the overall finished height?

I would corner load it if i were you for best results. I gained over 10db from 30hz on down to 16hz by corner loading versus not. The finished product is 36"xwhatever width you choosex36". Most people have gone with the 24.5" wide versions since its about the slimest you should go without sacrificing much extension. The THT can be built up to 36" wide and its said the wider the better low end extension youll get. But we havent seen to many graphs really illustrating it since room acoustics are playing a major roll in everyones setup's.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How critical is the corner placement? The spot I had in mind for one would not be in a corner but underneath a small open stairway coming into the theater room from the rest of the house.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecew /forum/post/18167493

I really dont even know how much money you would have to spend commercially to get a comparable sub to the THT. Meaning being able to match the max SPL with great sound quality and very minimal distortion. It would honestly have to be several thousand's. Recently there was a member who replaced 2 ed A7S-650's with dual THT's. Even though he sacrificed a bit of low end extension hes very happy with his move. Not sure how much money your willing to spend total on a sub. But if wanted to spend about 3.5x's as much as a THT you could go with a danley DTS-10 DIY kit. It would give you some additional extension hard to say how much because every room isnt created equal. But it should be safe to say the THT will give you rock solid 20hz and the DTS-10 should give you rock solid 14hz. Im cheap and am always looking for the best bang for the buck. That being said the THT is most definitely it no question at all. But there are other options if your willing to crack open that wallet lol.

Yep. I had another member here come by for a listen. He had heard the Danleys, Submersive, some crazy 4 sub set up, and others I had never heard of. He was, I woud say, blown away at the bass it produced. Others could go lower but for 18-20hz and above one THT was more powerful than many others he had heard. All with one 15" 150.00 driver and a simple 109.00 plate amp.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I build two and I didn't corner load them... and I am very happy with the results... it all depends on our room.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkidd /forum/post/18167539

How critical is the corner placement? The spot I had in mind for one would not be in a corner but underneath a small open stairway coming into the theater room from the rest of the house.

You just gotta play with it and see whats best for your room. Build a furniture type dolly to move it around. Its a big, heavy beast

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG5589 /forum/post/18167582

You just gotta play with it and see whats best for your room. Build a furniture type dolly to move it around. Its a big, heavy beast

I have a big room but at the end of the day there are really only two places I would be willing to put it, hopefully it will work in my spot under the landing. I can't imagine anybody having a whole lot of placement options with a sub this big?

Do I need to consider my room acoustics before settling on this plan and getting the ball rolling or is this a good solution for every situation?

Can it be used at normal volume levels that even children and Grandmas can enjoy?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I guess none of us really have told you the PRO's of the THT(horn) vs. your traditional ported or sealed alignment. Your sealed or ported alignments in general produce more distortion that a horn. Sealed is good for sound quality and musicality but takes a hell of a lot of power and EQ to get the same extension as the same sub in a ported box would take. Now horns are super sensitive taking much less power to produce much more SPL than the same driver in the other alignments. The horn load reduces the drivers excursion so you get alot less mechanical noise from the driver thats where the low distortion comes in. The THT is an all around subwoofer its great for HT and music. Its very tactile and responsive so it can handle anything you throw at it. Ranging from insanely fast double bass drum music to slower pipe organs. Maybe this is not the best example or most scientific explanations lol but im running short on time here and trying to keep it simple. Its a great all around sub for a great price the only drawback is the size. Its large but IMO produces a much larger sound so its worth it. And for the money youd be crazy not to give it a shot and if its not your cup of tea your not out alot of money. and for a room your size id shoot for 2 THT's and run them with an ep1500. You could probably get 2 done for $650.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
It can be used at any level you see fit. The same with any speaker or sub. Its just capable of levels that will scare you children and give the grandma a heart attack.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Room acoustics will play into any sub arrangement. When my wife watches TV, I just leave the sub off. She is no bass head, as in, she needs no bass for what she watches. Honestly compared to your current, what 10" sub, it will blow you away in all areas, music, movies, gaming.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecew /forum/post/18167687

I guess none of us really have told you the PRO's of the THT(horn) vs. your traditional ported or sealed alignment. Your sealed or ported alignments in general produce more distortion that a horn. Sealed is good for sound quality and musicality but takes a hell of a lot of power and EQ to get the same extension as the same sub in a ported box would take. Now horns are super sensitive taking much less power to produce much more SPL than the same driver in the other alignments. The horn load reduces the drivers excursion so you get alot less mechanical noise from the driver thats where the low distortion comes in. The THT is an all around subwoofer its great for HT and music. Its very tactile and responsive so it can handle anything you throw at it. Ranging from insanely fast double bass drum music to slower pipe organs. Maybe this is not the best example or most scientific explanations lol but im running short on time here and trying to keep it simple. Its a great all around sub for a great price the only drawback is the size. Its large but IMO produces a much larger sound so its worth it. And for the money youd be crazy not to give it a shot and if its not your cup of tea your not out alot of money. and for a room your size id shoot for 2 THT's and run them with an ep1500. You could probably get 2 done for $650.

WOW! You guys are quick and helpful. I have never asked for help on a message board and been offered such sincere and timely advice, thanks!

I am going to consider building two of these as you recommend. Is there any concern about them overpowering the rest of my system? My only real concern is that I am kind of limited to only 2 really good placement areas and neither is in a corner.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You adjust to not overpower. I had small Quintets so yes, it was overpowering at times. I looked at your speakers and they are quite a bit more than what I had so I am guessing you will have no issues. You don't have to use a corner but, most find it improves the output. I don't exactly have mine in a corner. It faces a corner but is not angled into the corner, if that makes sense. Yet it easily produces monster bass. The horn design is super effecient. I can produce home shaking bass at around 110 watts. Yes, one hundred ten watts

·
Registered
228 Posts
i think thats the beauty of the THT is you can tame her down and she blends right in with whatever you pair her with. i have paired mine with definitive technology inceilings, aperion 4b's, event studio monitors, all sounded nice and clean. or you can unleash the beast and make panties vaporize.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by radman12 /forum/post/18168031

i think thats the beauty of the THT is you can tame her down and she blends right in with whatever you pair her with. i have paired mine with definitive technology inceilings, aperion 4b's, event studio monitors, all sounded nice and clean. or you can unleash the beast and make panties vaporize.
I gotta try that......

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is there any sort of calculation or table available that might suggest the proper size and/or number of THTs that might best suit my room? It is 20' X 30' X 16' high rectangle. Concrete block on two walls, sheetrock on one and currently a giant roll up garage door on the other.

If I end up needing to add a second do I need to make any adjustments to my planning in the first one?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkidd /forum/post/18167356

I am not even completely sure what it is

I started a thread on the Speakers and Subs forum and after explaining my wants some folks suggested possibly building a THT. After a bit of research I realize that I have the perfect spot for one but don't know hardly anything about them.

If you live anywhere near the Pittsburgh, PA area, I have a pre-built one I will sell you cheaper than you can build it for...even made from hardwood ply...

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.