AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow A/V enthusiasts,

My wife and I are building a 2-story home. The walls are currently open and we've ran cat6, RG6, and cat5 (for phones) to every room from a central location in the basement. I've ran a separate cat6 drop to the head end for my IR repeater system in a few rooms. We've also wired for the security system sensors and siren.

In addition, we've ran speaker wire through boxes for volume control to the back patio, front porch, kitchen, master bedroom. I've also ran speaker wire to the great room for 5.1 surround sound. (I'm not real big on 7.1 surround.)

Conduit wise I've ran a 1.5" pipe on one side of the house from the basement to the attic and another 3/4" pipe on the other side of the house. Finally I put a 2" pipe from the basement to just above the top of the low mantle for the television A/V wires, and another 2" pipe from the office to the basement.

Outside of an intercom system, what other wires should we consider putting into the walls? If you wish you had something in the walls, what would it be? Pie in the sky type stuff is more than welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to read the post. I look forward to reading your suggestions.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yeah, but do you have any lasers?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,121 Posts
OTA HDTV antenna connections?

If you think you may ever want to do a Satellite DVR set up and If you want to watch one, record another you will likely need multiple runs of RG6 to the DVR locations

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas,

I wish I had lasers...that'd be awesome.

I like the thought about an RG6 run (or a few) from the basement to the attic. It's probably a good idea to plan on an FM/AM antenna as well.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,121 Posts
If you ever want a Satellite service with multiple DVRs around the house you will need multiple runs of RG6 to each DVR location.

Also should anticipate where the dish would be mounted and a distribution block and grounding location.

From time to time guys lament about not wiring bathrooms for either TV (news in the morning), Radio or music. If you are doing a steam or shower room you may want music. Also TV in an exercise area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.