AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a month of research here and elsewhere, I ordered a Rythmik D15 SE subwoofer yesterday after it narrowly edged out the SVS-PC12-Plus.

Rythmik had promised to ship today but after not hearing from them I called late this afternoon and the story was probably tomorrow. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. But what gives me pause was the realization that Rythmik is literally a mom and pop operation. Will they really be there for the life of the warranty? Can I expect responsive after-sales support?

If Rythmik doesn't ship tomorrow, I'll most likely cancel my order.

Question is, should I go ahead and cancel now, before he builds the sub, and place an order with SVS or first try my luck with Definitive Technology Supercube 1 or B&W ASW10XP, both of which I can buy from a local dealer with a liberal return policy?

In terms of background, I'm looking for a substantial upgrade from my 10-year-old Cambridge Soundworks Newton P500 8" sub. The multi-purpose room I use for home theater is 3,000 cubic feet.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Personally, I believe M&P operations should get our support. But I don't believe Rythmik is as small as you think they are. I suggest you stay with the Rythmik. If you change now, you will always have a nagging doubt you made the right choice.

·
Registered
267 Posts
also ascend uses them.

dont get cold feet. stick it out. and order 2

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have the 15 inch Rythmik. Brian has always taken the time to answer any questions I had, even three years after the original sale. You will be hard pressed to find a better sounding sub for the price. There are louder subs but few sound better.

Regards,

Dennis

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/16950565

Personally, I believe M&P operations should get our support. But I don't believe Rythmik is as small as you think they are. I suggest you stay with the Rythmik. If you change now, you will always have a nagging doubt you made the right choice.

I talked to owner/designer/assembler/shipping clerk Brian Ding this afternoon and he said the company was just him and his wife. I did not, however, ask if they are parents, so I retract the mom and pop comment for now.

A company as small as Rythmik might not be around to honor the 5-year warranty should something go wrong. That's one concern.

The other is that I'm something of a newbie despite having built and rebuilt my ever evolving home theater over the last 10 years or so. If I need help getting the D15 properly setup, there's not much of a user community here and Rythmik may or may not be there to help.

For $800, I could try a Super Cube 1 at home and if I didn't like it, return it to the dealer and order something else ID.

·
Registered
267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcR /forum/post/16950625

I talked to owner/designer/assembler/shipping clerk Brian Ding this afternoon and he said the company was just him and his wife. I did not, however, ask if they are parents, so I retract the mom and pop comment for now.

A company as small as Rythmik might not be around to honor the 5-year warranty should something go wrong. That's one concern.

The other is that I'm something of a newbie despite having built and rebuilt my ever evolving home theater over the last 10 years or so. If I need help getting the D15 properly setup, there's not much of a user community here and Rythmik may or may not be there to help.

For $800, I could try a Super Cube 1 at home and if I didn't like it, return it to the dealer and order something else ID.
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/index.php

·
Registered
267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcR /forum/post/16950636

Says the SVS owner!

click on my bedroom setup

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkfat /forum/post/16950745

Rythmik Audio has been in business since October 2002 has been accredited with the BBB since 2007.

http://centraltx.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Rep...&firm=90021070

As a D15SE owner I'm not at all concerned about my warranty. My brother owns a Supercube I and I would never choose his over mine.

How would you describe the differences?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcR /forum/post/16950425

After a month of research here and elsewhere, I ordered a Rythmik D15 SE subwoofer yesterday after it narrowly edged out the SVS-PC12-Plus.

Rythmik had promised to ship today but after not hearing from them I called late this afternoon and the story was probably tomorrow. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. But what gives me pause was the realization that Rythmik is literally a mom and pop operation. Will they really be there for the life of the warranty? Can I expect responsive after-sales support?

Question is, should I go ahead and cancel now, before he builds the sub, and place an order with SVS or first try my luck with Definitive Technology Supercube 1 or B&W ASW10XP, both of which I can buy from a local dealer with a liberal return policy?

In terms of background, I'm looking for a substantial upgrade from my 10-year-old Cambridge Soundworks Newton P500 8" sub. The multi-purpose room I use for home theater is 3,000 cubic feet.

My goodness! Stop being a nervous nellie! What if this? What if that? There are no absolute guarantees in this world. Any company big or small can go belly-up. Personally, I'd rather have to turn to Rythmik for support than a soulless DefTech or B&W. I'm sure it will be a great sub and you'll have a smile on your face after you get it. There are many happy Rythmik owners out there. Try to relax.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:

Hey, Rythmik is twice the size of Seaton Sounds and Rythmik has a better web site
Do you think people are worried about Mark Seaton's company, warranty or after sales support?

These are not question you need to concern yourself with. Rythmik has a respected history and they have been around for enough years to know what they are doing. Sit back and just wait for your sub!

If all this does concern you thought then maybe this sort of ID purchase isnt for you. Go buy a SVS sub or better yet to overpay for a B&M sub (ie Definitive Technology Supercube 1 or B&W ASW10XP) so your nervous nature can be controlled

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree with the OP in one sense. Buying a subwoofer online is a bit nerve-wracking. Perhaps it is because of three things:

(1) the complexity of the system -- its a powered loudspeaker with active and passive components that have to work together for many years.

(2) the cost for a high quality system, especially when one factors in shipping.

(3) buying "ear unheard" online -- how can one trust how it will sound?

But, the great thing is, you are in the right place on this forum, and the passion for making systems that excel keep the companies going and the buyers buying.

I say wait until you get the Rythmik, and enjoy it when you do.

If it helps any: I didn't buy a Rythmik, but I did send an email to them with questions. Brian responded quickly, and he made me feel confident in buying from Rythmik should my decision go that way. In the end, I bought a subwoofer from another small company and have no worries about my purchase in the short or long term.

SCD

·
Registered
184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcR /forum/post/16950785

How would you describe the differences?

The D15SE plays lower and is more accurate (musical, tight, articulate, random adjective, etc.). I can't give any objective SPL comparisons, but the Rythmik will shake the couch when asked to. Also, Rythmik amps provide much more flexibility in terms of PEQ and servo/extension controls. It's a higher-quality product all around in my opinion.

As a bonus: whenever I need support I get to converse directly with the company owner/subwoofer architect.

I'm able to relate with large purchase anxiety, but not for the reasons you gave (I much prefer to do business with M&P setups).

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Buying a subwoofer online is a bit nerve-wracking

its all relative to how much experience people have with purchasing items online. I have bought a car online so something like a sub is an extremely easy click.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
OK, RMcR, it's unanimous. You are a coward and don't deserve a Rythmik sub. Cancel the order and run to Best Buy to pick up an Acoustimass. You'll be very happy with the BB support for years to come.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Seriously OP, a few years back people were buying things from Circuit City, thinking that they were buying from a place that would be around forever, and guess what. they werent.

Now i know thats not exactly the same as circuit city wasnt neccesarily providing the warranty, but it gives a point of comparison.

Rythmik has a lot of very satisfied customers and makes a quality product.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Quote:

... Will they really be there for the life of the warranty? Can I expect responsive after-sales support?

Um, lets think about this a little. You do not think that bigger speaker corporations can go out of business??? Over expansion, poor forecasting, lawsuits, mismanagement, the list goes on and on.

Small mom and pop- wasn't svs a small mom and pop organization at one point? I think most speaker companies started out that way.

Since you are a nervous nelly, I would suggest you buy from a big box store and purchase a 5 year extended warranty. You can sleep better at night knowing that you are covered to replacement cost at least- even if you paid more than I would think is necessary for.

·
Registered
267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcR /forum/post/16950703

I stand corrected. Why such a big sub in the bedroom?

why not!

plus it doubles as a vibrating bed.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.