AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a HDTV recently but I mainly use my HDTV for gaming however I sometimes watch the news, sports, tru tv, animal planet, etc. around 40% of the time so I dont want to pay for HD when I'm not gonna need it that much. So here's what I did to get some HD channels. I hook the cable line to my TV but most of the channels are not in the channel they're usually at and I gotta press "3-1" or other similar channels like that in order to get certain channels.

Is there a list of channels so I can know what I'm watching? My TV doesn't show it.

If I use that way to get HD channels, can I get ESPN, Comcast Sports Net, E!, truTV, and Animal Planet? Those are the only channels I really need.

Also is this antenna any good? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/RCA+-+In...&skuId=8280834 . I live near Oakland, CA and I need to know if that antenna is good or not. A guy from best buy told me over the phone that I might need an amplifier but I need to hear from you guys first. Also what channels can I get with a antenna?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The channels you can recieve that way are usually the local networks(ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and PBS plus maybe a few shopping channels etc... I can not tell you for your cable company but ESPN, Comcast Sports Net, E!, truTV, and Animal Planet are not likely to be available. As far as a list of channels so I can know what I'm watching, probably not available. Just do a channels scan with your TV and see what you can get?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy /forum/post/18303374

The channels you can recieve that way are usually the local networks(ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and PBS plus maybe a few shopping channels etc... I can not tell you for your cable company but ESPN, Comcast Sports Net, E!, truTV, and Animal Planet are not likely to be available. As far as a list of channels so I can know what I'm watching, probably not available. Just do a channels scan with your TV and see what you can get?

I scanned and got like 100-200 channels(I forgot) but some of them are the same channels. Also the info button on my remote doesn't say what network it is or stuff like that so if there's an infomercial I dont know which it is because they usually dont have the logo of the network during infomercials

·
Registered
105 Posts
To determine which channels you can reasonably expect to get OTA with an antenna you should go to tvfool.com. Enter your address or coordinates and it will display a chart of the channels available to you, where they are, power levels, and some other info.

Being in Oakland you should probably be pointing an antenna toward Sutro.

As for cable I can't say what you should expect to get in clear qam from your cable company. But generally you can't have it both ways, i.e., if you have an antenna connected to your TV's RF antenna input then scanning will obviously scan the OTA signals and they will be mapped to the virtual channels (e.g., 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, etc.). If you connected it to your cable box then your scan will scan whatever the allowed frequencies are from your cable company and they will be (I assume, never tried this) translated to integer channel numbers since that's all cable companies use and there probably no relationship between the numbers the cable companies use and what the actual networks use. Thus some cable channel 1234 might be CBS's 5.1. And odds are the PSIP info (additional info about the channel) may be stripped out so the TV can't even tell you what it's seeing.

As for HD, unless you want to pay extra (one way or another) to the cable company to supply HD channels you'll need to use an OTA antenna. With the antenna you'll be able to receive local channels that broadcast in HD (Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, and a few others). If you pay cable for HD you'll of course get all those plus, depending on your level of service, cable HD services like Science, History, SyFy, BBCA, Animal Planet, etc.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Me!, nice job as always!

Somerandomdude,

go to this site: http://www.hdhomerun.com/

In the right side of the page, click the option "which channels will I receive",

This will give you a listing of digital OTA stations plus a listing of clear QAM stations (channel numbers + virtual channel numbers) from your cable provider. The default provider is OTA. You'll need to change the provider to your cable co.

HTH,

Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts