AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had it with the HD-100, Sony, Directv and CBS. Whom ever is at fault. Now, not only does the video and audio drop on the hour and half hour, much to frequently for me but now, it stays out until I flick through the channels or turn the unit on and off. This happens on all of the Directv channels including the local channels feed. And, it happens on OTA Digital too. CBS's WUSA (9.1) is not watchable. It will start out ok and in 5 mins. you will see a slight quiver in the video and then it lags behind the audio until the whole thing blanks out and then it comes back on in-sync, only to start all over again. I am going to call Sony one more time, then depending on the answer I am considering contacting the Maryland Attorney General's Office, Consumer Products Division (if there is one, or what ever the department is that handles these things). Sony should not be allowed to continue to sell and ship these units, at least not in Maryland, until it is proven it is not the HD-100 that is the problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Jimmy,

Really sorry to hear of the problems you're having. I FEEL your pain!

I took the Sony back to my dealer and lucked out when they took it back. I originally had the Panasonic tuhds20 and traded it for the Sony because of the slow Panny menu. But I took the Sony back and got the Panasonic again. I can put up with the menu, but the lip sync issues and drop outs were a real pain in the butt. I have absolutely no lip sync issues on cbs now...nobody can tell me it's the broadcast station's problem because there are just no sync issues with the Panny...and no drop outs either, AND having had to Sony for three weeks I notice the Panny fan is quieter than the Sony fan, goes off when you turn off the unit too...the Sony stb is a lemon. It's too bad for everyone who waited for it and then got burned. Good luck with Sony and getting some resolution of your problem.

Bob

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I doubt whether you can count on a quick response with a state's attorney general's office. More likely your complaint will get shuffled to a pile to be attended to a month from now by overworked staffers (or interns!) who don't have a clue what HD or your concerns are. If your STB is within the retailer's return window, it would make more sense to do so and chalk the experience up to unproven technology still on the development curve. There are penalties for early adoption, and brand name is no guaranty of faultless performance. If you're out of the return window, then call Sony and register a formal complaint. Follow it up with a registered letter to them. Then wait for resolution in the form of a recall of defective units with similar problems and/or downloaded firmware updates as Thomson/RCA/Proscan gradually did.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy:
I've had it with the HD-100, Sony, Directv and CBS. Whom ever is at fault.
Jimmy, I know all the new formats and hardware can be frustrating. We have similar H/DTV problems on the pro side. The acquisition, recording, editing, storage, distribution, and transmission of H/DTV is a very complex and expensive procedure. All of us involved is in the beta stage with many more questions than answers. IMHO, it will take another two to three years till things start to settle down and the dust starts to clear.

Just look at the most recent success story, DVD. There were many player/disc compatibility issues in the earlier days. I still see a few complaints about problems and we are four years into DVD. Hang in there dude, things will get better.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

·
Registered
292 Posts
Before you go any further, search through this forum. At least one other person had this 30 minute drop out problem and seems to have solved it. There was some kind of conflict with the program guide downloads that occurred on the half hour.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike, if someone has solved this problem, I couldn't find it. Reading the "search" results just shows that many owners are having the same problems, all over the U.S and the only common denominator is the HD100. I just couldn't find the post you refer to.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Mike, the person you refer to thought he had solved the problem but realized later that he hadn't.

The "half-hour" thing is a major problem and as far as I can tell from talking to sony repeatedly, they aren't even close to a solution.

·
Registered
134 Posts
FYI, the Lip-Sync problem on CBS-LA with HD100 has been resolved. CBS got a new encoder and the lip-sync when away.

------------------

CC

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi,

Could you explain why changing an encoder at the LA broadcast station would fix a sync problem. I ask because here in Philadelphia the sync is a problem with the Sony but not with the Panasonic stb (I know, I've tried both). That would lead me to believe it's the Sony and not the station.

Also, why is it that most of the problems are with cbs alone...unless it's because that's where most hd is broadcast from...ota.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bob it's strange but I must tell you that I get lip sync problems out of Philly but when I swing my antenna around to NYC ... no problem. So, it may be a problem with compatibility between some CBS stations and our HD100, but not all CBS stations and our HD100.

RSL

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey RSL,

What antenna are you using. I have the Radio Shack double bowtie but want to put one up on the roof. I assume you have a motor on yours as you can change directions.

I'm a bit worried about getting something too strong as I heard that can actually cause more problems with ghosts, etc. I'm only 8 miles from the broadcast antennae and get a great picture using the indoor double bowtie. However, I do have to move it a bit inside to get all the stations. It seems I can pick up cbs, fox, pbs, and nbc in one direction but have to move it a bit to get abc. I imagine an antenna on the roof will be able to get all of them without having to be moved.

How does NYC come in? And are you using a rotor?

Take care,

Bob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bob -

I'm using a 4 bay bowtie with screen from Channel Master. I forget the model number, maybe 4221?

I do use a rotor and I get the NYC CBS channel WCBS-DT as strong as I get the Philadelphia CBS channel, maybe stronger. Terrain is an issue I guess because I'm only 22 miles from Roxboro and at least 60 from the ESB or WTC.

From NYC I get CBS, NBC, FOX, and PIX when they broadcast. ABC never. WNET the PBS station isn't online yet. CBS and FOX are the most reliable from NYC and oddly enough from Philly too.

RSL

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Jimmy,

I saw a post saying that Sony had contacted CBS and that CBS was doing something to their equipment to fix the lip sync problem. I have seen posts from California and NYC saying that the problem is gone. I am assuming that if CBS is doing this, they will hit the biggest markets first (like Ca and NY) and work their way through the rest of us. Here's hoping DC is a major market

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Dave, the lip sync is still there this evening. I know I started this thread in a "boiling over" fashion but when I calm down, there are probably more good things about this box then bad. Joe C5's solution to the drop-outs help a lot and it does work. And, I can always watch CBS out of Baltimore. I do not get the lip sync problem from that station. The picture quality that the Sony is giving me, coupled with my Pioneer Elite is stunning. To top it off, my fan is not loud (I have a higher serial # so maybe they fixed it). I am not letting them off the hook yet though. Joe C5 feels we can get a fix via software download and I believe him. I agree too that this will be the best STB out there once Sony gets this resolved.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I spent over 40 minutes on the phone today with SONY. Three different people. They kept "bumping" me up. I added new problems to my event number. The one that got me bumped up was the hour 1/2 hour drops.

They are very aware of AVScience Forum!

By the way, if you did not see my post in other threads, I played with a local store HD-100 and it has the same problems as mine. My big problem is OTA drops outs on a local station (KING DT). At the store, I also saw an old Pioneer "terrestrial only" that did not have the dropouts on KING that the HD-100 (store and home) exhibits.

Bill

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

[This message has been edited by Babula (edited 04-23-2001).]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.