AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm done with my Klipsch B-3's , just don't like to listen to them at all. I think it's what I've read as "silibance" which I don't care for at all with these, really pronounced "sssss"'s ? I find myself just wanting to turn them off after about 15-20 min. Not sure if a different tuner would help, I'm using a Denon 788, but I'd like to just change to something else altogether. I was about to pull the trigger on some Paradigm Titans v5 when I saw some Kef IQ3's going for about the same price. Any comments on either of these speakers sound/performance wise? Can't demo either set , no stores around here. Also, would my Denon be enough with either of these speakers?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot to add I'll be keeping my Klipsch sub for now if that's a consideration for how the Paradigms/Kef will sound

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
The sub is irrelevant. I can't speak for the Paradigms, but the KEFs offer a completely different sound from your Klipschs. They are still considered bright by many, but it is a different kind of bright than Klipschs. (I know. That is pretty vague.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, as far as the sub goes, I was just trying to say I wouldn't need alot of bass from the new speakers so much. I don't think a little bright would be all that bad as I listen to alt. rock and techno with some classic rock. I hear bright isn't all bad for the first two. The Klipsch's just seem harsh if that's the right word. Not even sure I understand what "bright" really sounds like. Probably need to hear a non bright speaker beside a bright one, huh?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I think of it this way...

Bright = revealing the high notes/hz more, being more pronounced than the midbass and lows of the speaker

Harsh/Silibance = being bright along with having certain harsh sounding frequencies in the range of the speaker (usually S,T, etc)

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Are you willing to try internet direct companies? I have been sitting here all afternoon listening to my Aperion speakers in stereo mode. 30 day in home trial...I gave klipsch an audition and chose Aperion after having them in my home. Free shipping both ways. Just a thought for you.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljthree /forum/post/15575175

Yea, as far as the sub goes, I was just trying to say I wouldn't need alot of bass from the new speakers so much. I don't think a little bright would be all that bad as I listen to alt. rock and techno with some classic rock. I hear bright isn't all bad for the first two. The Klipsch's just seem harsh if that's the right word. Not even sure I understand what "bright" really sounds like. Probably need to hear a non bright speaker beside a bright one, huh?

Well, the deal on the iQ3s right now is pretty nice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And now I'm gonna throw this speaker in-the Wharfedale evo2-10 which is selling around the same price(350/380) as the other two. So now I have it narrowed down:

Paradigm Titanv5

kef IQ3

Wharfedale Evo2-10

does any one stand out, not on personal preference or brand loyalty, but overall-build, range, detail, no listening fatigue, longevity, sounds better with my Denon 788? I know it's "up to my ears", just don't have that option

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljthree /forum/post/15578517

..............selling around the same price(350/380)..........

The iQ3s are $250 right now, but you better pull the trigger if you want them because they are probably going to be gone, soon.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
trigger has been pulled, couldn't resist at that price. wanted maple or cherry, but had to settle on black...now what center do I need to match these iq3's?

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljthree /forum/post/15580813

...now what center do I need to match these iq3's?

Either an iQ6c or another iQ3. I think that the iQ6c is getting hard to find, especially at the close-out price that they were going for. If the iQ3s are cheaper than the iQ6c, you might want to just go ahead and get another pair. It is not ideal, but one can easily be laid on its side for center channel use if necessary. If you post in the KEF speaker thread, you may be able to find someone who will either split a pair with you or who will sell you one. You may even want to post a new post entitled something like "I need a single KEF iQ3". Someone who has one may post there or someone who wants a single one as well may post there.

The iQ2c is definitely an option, too, but it has a smaller driver than the iQ3s. Still, it should work fine. I have said in the past that it should probably only be paired with the iQ1s, but I think it will be OK with the iQ3s.

I would get whatever you decide on, soon, as the iQ series you are buying has been replaced with a more current iQ line-up and, although doubtful, there might be a timbre mismatch between the two. Same goes for surrounds if you have any designs on iQs for that purpose.

Once you get them, please post back with your impressions either here in this thread or in the KEF Owners thread.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had my Athena audition series speakers for 2 years now and I can relate to wanting to turn your speakers off after 15 minutes. Now I switched to the Athena LS series and they are just so much smoother and neutral. The Audition series were just to bright for me. I finally found the sound I was looking for. You may have to switch to more neutral speakers my friend.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
I would bet that a different brand receiver would remove 95% of the brightness. I compared the B3's to B & W 685 in my home and there was little difference in the tonal spund of the 2 brands. Denon's have a tendency to sound bright with most speakers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought I had heard that Denon's were on the warm side, so I actually got one on that. I'll probably still have the B-3's when the Iq3's get here, so I'll try them out side by side with the Denon . If I were to go with a budget seperate amp setup, would that help the iq's soundwise with bi-wiring/amping? What about a cheaper Nad setup altogether, or something on the lower price scale. I just can't get crazy on the price.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think you will love those iQ3's. I love mine. I am waiting on my iQ7's to get here. Throwing my 3's in the rear. Now I just need a center. I wish the iQ6's would come down a bit more or I might have to find another iQ3 for the center or settle for the iQ2c. I don't know what to do right now. Maybe wait until my budget can go back up.....

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 /forum/post/15582178

I would bet that a different brand receiver would remove 95% of the brightness. I compared the B3's to B & W 685 in my home and there was little difference in the tonal spund of the 2 brands. Denon's have a tendency to sound bright with most speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aljthree /forum/post/15582330

I thought I had heard that Denon's were on the warm side, so I actually got one on that. I'll probably still have the B-3's when the Iq3's get here, so I'll try them out side by side with the Denon.

The room is more important than any (unsubstantiated) brightness, warmth, or whatever characteristic you want to try and impart to a receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljthree /forum/post/15582330

If I were to go with a budget seperate amp setup, would that help the iq's soundwise with bi-wiring/amping?

If you want a new setup, go for it. But I do not think that you should do that just so you can bi-amp. Whether bi-amping and especially bi-wiring would make any difference in SQ is (only barely) arguable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Room shouldn't be a issue. I've got the carport blocked in and drywalled, it's going to be a dedicated ht/game room, so I should be able to treat it soundwise pretty easily without having to go overboard. I'll stick with what I've got for now receiver wise and see how that feels for awhile. Just got a new 67 inch Samsung to replace my Hp Dlp so wall treatment will be cheapo fixes, hopefully that'll do. Gottta be better than these damn Klipsssssschsssssssss though. Thanks for all the advice guys

·
Banned
1,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15582555

The room is more important than any (unsubstantiated) brightness, warmth, or whatever characteristic you want to try and impart to a receiver.

No doubt that the room is a big factor in achieving good SQ. Somehow, I can't picture someone with the OP's setup spending money on room treatments. Most would have limited knowledge in room treatment.

In my experience what I said about Denon is true.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Usually when it comes to a/v receivers you can make any brand sound "bright" or "warm', all you have to do is tweak the settings.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15582555

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 /forum/post/15582847

No doubt that the room is a big factor in achieving good SQ. Somehow, I can't picture someone with the OP's setup spending money on room treatments. Most would have limited knowledge in room treatment.

In my experience what I said about Denon is true.

I'm not suggesting room treatments. I'm speaking specifically to the idea that a particular brand of receiver is "bright" or "warm" or whatever. The room (untreated, semi-treated, or not) is much more of an influence upon the perceived sound than any subtle differences that MAY exist between different brands of receivers. As is the particular speaker in question. So, subtle differences in the sound of different manufacturer's receivers, if they even exist at all, are rendered essentially moot by the other factors involved.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts