AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emailed D* (I've always had better success getting problems resolved that way with them) regarding turning off my west coast DNS feeds on 8/25 by making the case that SHVERA only says you can't get a DNS from a time zone that is earlier than your own and that since I live in the Eastern time zone I should not be affected by this law. All I can say is keep on pounding them because their slant on SHVERA is wrong!! Below is the response I got. Caution, read with amusement...

Dear Mr. xxxxxxx,

Thank you for your recent inquiry about the new SHVERA law, and its applicable effects on your West Coast HD feeds. Since Los Angeles is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time, it is considered an earlier time zone. The law definition you provided:

"Television Broadcast Channels on Satellite---> If you qualify for distant signal service, you can only receive signals from stations located in your same time zone or in a LATER time zone, not in an earlier time zone"

applies to your area, since Pacific Time is 3 hours earlier than the observed time on the East coast (e.g.; 7:00 pm EST = 4:00 pm PST). This new revision says that we can only provide you with network service from your own time zone, or one that is later. Since there are no time zones later than EST within the United States, we can only provide you with the New York Network HD feeds, and proceed to discontinue the Los Angeles feeds on your account.

Thanks again for writing. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Emmitt

DIRECTV Customer Service

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
That is stupid.

But perhaps good news for thos of us in the West! :)

·
Super Moderator
18,527 Posts
OT a little, but it reminds me of the grocery store clerk who wouldn't take my passport as a valid ID to let me by beer. Nor my out-of-state DL. Mind you, I was 40 at the time and didn't look a day under ...40. So I started opening the beers right there in front of her. She said, "HEY, you're gonna have to pay for that." I said, "You just told me I couldn't."

Doc

·
Premium Member
35,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
That is stupid.

Somehow I don't think we'll be that lucky...

This guy Emmitt seems to have created a time machine..

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
I think the way many will end up dealing with the SHVERA-D* DNS debacle, DrDon, will include Star Choice or Expressvu.

But your way of dealing with the clerk was way more fun! :)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I can see the confusion about earlier time zone or later time zone. Another example of imprecise wording in legislation. Seems to me they should have worded it something like "time zone with a lower GMT offset" or "time zone with a higher GMT offset". Or "time zone to the east of your time zone"

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I put in my reply to their email, the East Coast or the West Coast one or the other is not affected by this law - they can't have it both ways.

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
That is stupid.

Something tells me you'll get a different (correct) interpretation if you live on the West Coast. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Here's an idea:

hornmdt: Can you post exactly what you sent to D*?

Then, can somebody from the west coast email D* the exact same question and post D*'s reply here? Would be interesting to see how they interpret the exact same question for a west-coaster. Then, we can email both responses to D* corporate and have them explain the discrepancy. As someone stated, they can't have it both ways.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I am trying to come up with a way to apply this reasoning the next time I'm late for work... I'm not really late boss, the job just arrived at 8:00am before I did. That makes it later, and I'm earlier. :cool:

Yeah, then they give me a cup to pee in. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.