AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Polk RM6800 set, got it for quite a good deal, 320 bucks. At least I thought it was a good deal! I'm now going to be ordering the Onkyo 605 receiver soon, and then I'll be ready to set everything up. I'm going to be using the surround sound for my TV, Xbox 360/HD-DVD, and PS3/Blu-Ray.

I know some of the things I should/probably will buy are a media rack, some quality speaker wire, a calibration disc, and also need to decide on speaker wire. I plan on using stands for the 2 fronts, and the 2 rear will be ceiling mounted.

Really what I'm posting this for is the experts here, and what steps do you recommend me taking once I get everything? I'm obviously spending good money on everything here and I want to make sure I'm maximizing the potential of my setup. If there's ANYTHING some of you could add here for which way to go, I'd really appreciate it! I'm just really excited to get it all and any conversation about what steps I should take will help lol.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 /forum/post/0

I just purchased the Polk RM6800 set, got it for quite a good deal, 320 bucks. At least I thought it was a good deal! I'm now going to be ordering the Onkyo 605 receiver soon, and then I'll be ready to set everything up. I'm going to be using the surround sound for my TV, Xbox 360/HD-DVD, and PS3/Blu-Ray.

I know some of the things I should/probably will buy are a media rack, some quality speaker wire, a calibration disc, and also need to decide on speaker wire. I plan on using stands for the 2 fronts, and the 2 rear will be ceiling mounted.

Really what I'm posting this for is the experts here, and what steps do you recommend me taking once I get everything? I'm obviously spending good money on everything here and I want to make sure I'm maximizing the potential of my setup. If there's ANYTHING some of you could add here for which way to go, I'd really appreciate it! I'm just really excited to get it all and any conversation about what steps I should take will help lol.

When you get everything the first step (sorry) is to read the instructions.

Position the speakers as close the Dolby Labs recommendations as possible.

Speaker wire-- 16 or 14 AWG, CL2 or CL3 (in-wall use). Home Depot's is fine. If the wires are not running in the walls or overhead, then any #16 or #14 will do such as Zip cord (extension wire). If you like the look of heavier cables for exposed wire then get whatever looks good to you, but remember speaker wire is nothing special.

Other cables-- Like speaker wire there are no magic properties, except in the sales material. Buy online from any of the forum sponsors (monoprice.com has many fans) or buy whatever is cheap locally.

Subwoofer cable--Coaxial cable of some type with RCA plugs. Need not be 75 ohm cable but might be (often RG59 or RG6). No special requirements or properties.

Analag audio cables- Coaxial cable of some type with RCA plugs. Need not be 75 ohm cable but might be (often RG59 or RG6).

Digital audio cables-- The standard is 75 ohm coax (RG59/6) with RCA plug connectors; again nothing special.

Optical digital audio cables (TOSLINK)-- if your hardware has the jacks optical is just as good as coax.

After everything is connected follow the instructions in the Onkyo manual for running the auto setup.

Use the SPL meter to double check the auto setup speaker levels.

After that use DVE or AVIA. I like DVE but AVIA has many fans in part because it has an easier interface. .

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Another thing to consider is treating room modes and first reflections with some absorption (such as bass traps or panels).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.