AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I returned my B460 because the SD quality was something funky.

I realize the B650 and the XBR9 are 120Hz, which is what separates them from the B550, and honestly I don't care much about the 120Hz. What I plan on using the TV for is cable TV (both SD and HD), some DVD playing, maybe hooking up my computer for netflix, and SNES gaming (woo!!).

However, I figure that because the B650 and XBR9 are one tier higher, they will have better image quality than the B550.

I don't like the "soap opera effect" and plan on turning that stuff off if I get the TV.

So the question is - which would be the better buy for me? I'd be willing to spend more on the XBR/B650 if the picture as a whole is better (and better 480 upscaling!), but if they're almost exactly the same as the B550 except 120Hz, then I might just go with the 550, since they're all 1080p!

Thanks a ton for your help!

·
Registered
42 Posts
just get youself a good surround sound receiver that is capable of upscaling. hook all your stuff up to the receiver and and let it do the heavy lifting. If you want to do HD correctly you need a surround sound system that is as capable as your HDTV, so that you get the full HD experience. Have a look at Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Harmon Kardon, etc. If you want the best upscaling available the check out this Denon product.
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4154.asp

As far as cable TV goes, just get a set-top box from your provider and hook that up to the receiver, instead of running the RF cable directly to your HDTV.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-tube /forum/post/16998085

just get youself a good surround sound receiver that is capable of upscaling. hook all your stuff up to the receiver and and let it do the heavy lifting. If you want to do HD correctly you need a surround sound system that is as capable as your HDTV, so that you get the full HD experience. Have a look at Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Harmon Kardon, etc. If you want the best upscaling available the check out this Denon product.
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4154.asp

As far as cable TV goes, just get a set-top box from your provider and hook that up to the receiver, instead of running the RF cable directly to your HDTV.

Hmmmm, HD-tube, I think you said a lot of good stuff, but you didn't come close to answering his question.

CaseLogic, I personally love both of my Samsung 650s. I have 37B650 in the family room/sun room and a 46A650 in the living room. Both of them are perfect for my needs. However, before I got them, I was a Sony man for 20 years or more, so Sony is still a brand that I would certainly consider.

That being said, as much as I love my Samsungs, since you didn't particularly like the one you returned, perhaps you should consider the Sony XBR9. You said you don't particularly care for the 120hz. As has been said thousands of times on this forum, 120hz and motion processing are not the same things. 120hz is the "refresh rate" while AMP or Motionflow is the motion processor. AMP can be turned off or adjusted; 120hz is always on.

Lastly, a TV with 120hz will always look better than one with 60hz, all other things being equal.

Good luck in your selection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts