AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Your budget. $400(ish)...lower is better though!

2. Size requirements/limits. None.

3. Room dimensions. 13Wx15Lx8H...1560 cubic feet (small). There is a large opening in the back (about 8 ft), and the sub will sit on a wood floor, and likely be in the corner.

4. Primary uses. 100% movies and games, no music.

5. Listening habits. I don't really like to play my stuff loud at all...definitely no where near reference levels. I get to maybe 45-50 on my receiver (mine starts at 0 and goes up).

6. Appearance requirements. None, except for it has to be black.

7. Timeframe. None...I'd like to buy within the next few months.

All I have right now is a 10" Polk HTiaB subwoofer. I have two Polk Monitor70s and a Polk CS2 center, with 4 Onkyo surrounds I'm going to replace later. I was looking at the HSU STF-2, Elemental Design A2 - 300, Emotiva Ultra Sub 12, and Emotiva Ultra Sub 10. Then of course the BIC America F12 and Polk PSW505 (though I am not sure if they even compare to the other subs on this list?).

Thanks a ton!

Edit: Pic of room layout:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425
For 100% home theater the element a2-300 or HSU stf-2
+1 though the HSU will be a great performer with music too. Go for the A2-300 for movies only.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck
If gently-used is an option, keep an eye out for an SVS PB10-NSD. It's a great sub.
That's what I really wanted! I'm not comfortable with used quite yet though. Why did they have to discontinue it?!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan
How large is the area that 8' opening goes into? You have to include that in your volume measurement.
Well, its a hallway that leads to stairs going upstairs, the living room, a dining room, and kind of the kitchen. :/

However, that's at the opposite end of the room (opposite from the tv and sub, etc) and I sit probably only 6-7 feet or so from the sub. That entryway is like 5-7 feet behind the seating position.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test123455 /forum/post/20800715

Well, its a hallway that leads to stairs going upstairs, the living room, a dining room, and kind of the kitchen. :/

However, that's at the opposite end of the room (opposite from the tv and sub, etc) and I sit probably only 6-7 feet or so from the sub. That entryway is like 5-7 feet behind the seating position.

You have to realize that you're not just pressurizing the air in the area you call the theater.. you're pressurizing all of the air the sub has reasonable access to. Sounds like you're working with 2-3 times the air volume you initially mentioned. I'd strongly consider spending the extra scratch for the VTF2, or even think about the Dayton RS1200K kit (12" sealed with 500 watt amp, very nice).

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20800817

You have to realize that you're not just pressurizing the air in the area you call the theater.. you're pressurizing all of the air the sub has reasonable access to. Sounds like you're working with 2-3 times the air volume you initially mentioned. I'd strongly consider spending the extra scratch for the VTF2, or even think about the Dayton RS1200K kit (12" sealed with 500 watt amp, very nice).

Ugh, this was really the top end of my budget anyway so I don't think i can do that. Can't I just set up a curtain or something?

Wish there were more flexible payments. I could do it over a few months but all at once I dunno about.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test123455 /forum/post/0

Ugh, this was really the top end of my budget anyway so I don't think i can do that. Can't I just set up a curtain or something?

Wish there were more flexible payments. I could do it over a few months but all at once I dunno about.

Just save up a bit longer. Your M70s are going to be putting out good bass as it is, really. No rush.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I probably wouldnt complain as much if i actually understoof what i was getting since im actually semi-ok with what i have (even though its horrible), liked a lot of bass, and didnt have to pay shipping. With shipping its almost $600, which i understand is small money for most people who are serious about their subwoofers, but quite a bit for me.

I'm thinking it might just be a better idea to wait a year or two until i can actually afford expensive things.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ames /forum/post/20801042

I'm going contrarian here, given your financial constraints: Get the BIC F12. Then start saving money for (a) an additional F12 or (b) selling the first F12 and upgrading to a better sub.

I mean, im not completely against it or anything since it looks cool (
) and is cheap, but i dont want to get something just for the sake of getting something. I wanna get something semi-decent.

About the hole leading into the hallway, maybe this will make a difference: i absolutely dont care about anyone elses seating position and whether or not they will feel it as good as me, and as long as it sounds even where i am, it doesnt need to be even throughout the entire room.

Besides, if people are in there with me, theyll usually sit pretty close to where i am anyway.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You'll miss having a sub for movies and games IMHO. Since you'll be using it exclusively for those activities and no music at all, I think it's well worth considering the F-12 as an interim solution. If you have not done so already, read the F-12 owners thread for additional information.

·
Registered
446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando /forum/post/20800118

+1 though the HSU will be a great performer with music too. Go for the A2-300 for movies only.

What makes you say that? The A2-300 is great for music too, I have no complaints, and the only online review of the A2-300 is a music-only review, which rates it favourably.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seonds /forum/post/20804286

What makes you say that? The A2-300 is great for music too, I have no complaints, and the only online review of the A2-300 is a music-only review, which rates it favourably.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the ED A2-300, especially since they offered me a slight discount and built their stuff in America (they have good customer service; they guy was really nice). I was wondering if you could link to this review please. Im having trouble finding any professional reviews anywhere.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.