1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a:

- Dayton 10" Subwoofer

- Onkyo SR600 Receiver

The story goes: I got the receiver with an old Infinity sub, which didn't make much sound. Then it shorted out and I bought the Dayton above, and the sound was great. It truly shook the couch in my little room.

Now, I admit, I had a foolish power setup in that I didn't have any surge protectors yet. I had set everything up in my unfinished basement, which only had one power outlet. So I hooked up my system with a whole slew of extention chords. Nevertheless, everything sounded great.

Then, there was a power surge one day. Since then my bass sound has never been the same. No more shaking the couch at all. At first, after the surge, the sub was just a little extra "rumbly", but then it's sound diminished until it was pretty much not there.

So, my first response was -- the sub is bad. So I called PartsExpress and they replaced it with a brand new one. The problem was the same. Then I thought it was the receiver -- maybe it had been damaged. So I took it to Circuit City with the warentee, and they took it for repairs. The repairman called me and said there was nothing wrong with it. A month later (today) I got it back, and there was still no difference.

So, what could it be? Even my wife notices something is very different. I checked the chords, and, yes, I'm using cheap cables for the sub, and cheap power, but it sounded good before. The only thing I can think now is that there must be something wrong with it's power -- as in, it's not getting enough? Or maybe it really is the receiver and that repairman who said he'd been doing that for 19 years didn't find it?

Please help.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Bass management settings?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Sounds like maybe the sub is not getting the LFE signal. Recheck all your settings and connections. How is the sub connected - through line level or speaker level connection? If line level be sure the sub is set for that input so it bypasses its internal crossover. Then be sure the receiver is set for LFE to a sub. If speaker level is used be sure the sub's crossover settings are correct and gain is set high enough.

If all else fails, try another receiver with the sub. If that doesn't work the sub is probably the problem. So then try another sub. If changing receivers works then the receiver needs to be replaced or "fixed" again.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
It sounds like you fried one of the circuits in your system ,either in your subs amp or avr.The best way to have any a/v system hooked up is with a home theater powercenter ,monster makes some very good ones also you can find some good ones at www.partsexpress.com they also have some very good ones,I still got 2 optimus reference home theater power centers that work great because last years blackout was a good test for these units and all my stuff was protected.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I'll look into those power centers.

However, I just took my receiver and subwoofer to circuit city and found something interesting. My brand new Dayton subwoofer just didn't sound good on any receiver I hooked it up to. They switched over to a less expensive Polk sub and it sounded much better and cleaner. We all noticed that the Dayton sounded really muddy and distorted on the strong parts of the movie.

I don't understand it. Many people recommend this Dayton sub, and I remember actually having one sound good a long time ago. Am I just getting faulty subs? I don't think my ears have changed this much -- this is pretty noticeable.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Maybe that one dayton unit was a defective one,try another one or get a polk or klipsch (I have the klipsch KSW 10) both will give you good performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.