AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a trip over to Robert Wood's house to check out his new NEC HT1000. All I can say is "WOW". I've been viewing CRTs for the last two years. My own Ampro 3600, Marquee 8500 and KennyG's NEC XG110. I've also seen a few DLP and wasn't impressed. After viewing the opening scene of Lost in Space and some shot from 5th Element I can say digitals have come along way. The HT1000 picture is brite, colorful, and very sharp and thats straight out the box with no tweaking and poor setup. The black level or shadow detail is much better than I would have thought. It's not as good as a CRT but for easy of use, size, and setup, I'm slowly but surely becoming a convert. Bob was using an HTPC with RGB cables and shooting a 70" picture for a temp viewing. I can't wait to see what it looks like with Guy Kuo's recommended filter and tweaks. The picture on this thing is as good as my Ampro and will give KennyG's XG110 a run for its money and it's so small, light, and cute. I will wait for the next generation to get cheaper and than I may switch. It all depend on my latest project, see below comments:

I'm in the process of re-tubing my Marquee 8500LC. I'm moving the good tubes from my non-LC 8500 to my 8500LC and yes I've remove the liquid cooling coupler from in front of the non-LC tube so that it will be a true LC tube. I've completed the Red tube and tested it for two hour with a movie, so far so good.

Andre

Pensacola HT Club (Fraza, KennyG(Missing in action), Robert Wood)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Oh No!!

Not you too Andre.

Is Bob spiking your drink or something ;)

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I'll add only one thing to Andre's post.

You should know that Andre has seen several of the digital projectors I've dragged home (DLP and D-ILA) and until today he has been unimpressed with all of them. He has a much more critical eye for all this than I do. That's why he's been making the effort to install LC tubes in his 8500. He really does demand that his displays be able to render low IRE with all the detail they can muster. So his enthuisasm for the HT1000 picture can't be dismissed as coming from a bulbhead who does not have a keen appreciation for good CRT.

He's not ready to replace his CRT picture with this. But, like Guy said in the other thread today, and like me, he now feels a lot better about digital

projectors taking over from CRT when that time does come.

One caveat needs to be stated at this point. With the XGA resolution and the fill factor of this DMD, I'm finding that 1.75 subtended* is the maximum image size I care to make. At that size the grid is no longer visible to me.

But HD2 DMD's should allow screen dimensions and viewing distances many of us are used to now.

*I'm learning, Guy :)

Bob

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Quote:
He's not ready to replace his CRT picture with this. But, like Guy said in the other thread today, and like me, he now feels a lot better about digital
I think we all know the future is in these little lite bulbs. I'm glad the gap is getting narrower and I'm glad there is stil a gap. By the time my XG is done I'll be ready for a D****** and some person will get a super deal on an XG which I'll bet that in 5 years time (assuming good tubes) still compares well with all attainable (for the common flea market folk such as myself) d******. The day is coming when the three eyed monster is no longer king but after that day it will be a long time before CRT is rendered non-competitive.

I can watch a movie on my machine now with total satisfaction and I don't think that will change just cause some other tech may come along that betters it. Unless they make it so I can't use my machine (some kind of encrypted DVI O/P made mandatory on all sources or something) then I'll be happy with my XG. In the meantime I stil get satisfaction that 10 YR old technology still has the new guys scrambling. When you really think about it it's astounding that there is still a debate.

I'll bet that when D****** becomes king then the progress will slow considerably since there is no one to beat.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Oh Great, more CRT's for me...

Chip S.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Bob,

Are you going to part out your Ampro 3600 to help pay for the NEC HT1000? The rest of us 3600 owners, without the $5K to spend for the HT1000, could use your parts to keep us running until the prices drop to our range. I want bids on your remote and tubes. :)

I am also impressed with the rapid improvement in DLP image quality. The size and ease of use sure cannot be beat. I hope the technology keeps advancing (quickly) untiil aHT1000 sells for the price of an LCD's is now. A used HT quality DLP for $500 could be in our near future.

Allen

·
Registered
502 Posts
I saw this happen once, when CD's actually started sounding good and record lovers everywhere stopped listening to their turntables...briefly :)!!!

I personally hope this is true and the gap is MUCH narrower than what I've seen lately. But bulb replacement can still be costly if you are running the machine a lot.

My two cents (Canadian cents that is so about 1.4 cents)

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Allen,

Like Guy K, I'm unprejudiced. I like both technologies. And I'm very fond of the 3600p on the ceiling above me so it won't be leaving home any time soon. There's room for both Old Betsy and Tiger Tim (Tiny Tim's bigger and stronger cousin) in my home theater.

p.s. I'm about to serve Tiny Tim his walking papers though. So if anyone would like to give him a good home before he goes to the pound (eBay), then by all means contact me. :)

Oh, and you're thinking $1900 too high on the HT1000.

Bob

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
"But for me they are flat looking picture wise and miss the punch a well set up CRT has, and have a scree door that just looks to digital."

The previous owner certainly saw something totally different from what you guys are seeing, and I think we would all agree Terry has a very experienced and discerning eye.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Smith
I think we would all agree Terry has a very experienced and discerning eye.
No argument there. He's also a very professional dealer. He had this in my hands in two days after I only paid for ground shipping.

p.s. although he did address it to "The Sultan of Cheap". I owe him one for that. :D

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
What a dud that would be, plug it in, turn it on and watch movies. I do not know about you guys but going digital would kill all the fun I'm having with CRT's, but then again when I see one at a yard sale for $50.00 I will not pass it up.

I wonder if it would be the end of this forum as we know it today. I mean what would there be to talk about. "Hey I pluged in my new DG8000, looks good".

As a matter of fact I did buy a Eiki 300 at a garage sale for $25.00. Pretty much cleaned it, pluged it in and gave it away the next day. There was just nothing to do with it, had a nice zoom on it though.

What watch movies?

Deron.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Bob,

DID YOU DO WHAT....DID YOU GET A WHAT..HHH1000!:mad:

I think we CRT groupies are extremists. You've got a nice unit.

Congrats and enjoy.

·
Registered
635 Posts
How much is a replacement bulb for the HT1000 and how many hours does last on average? That is one of the reasons that I got a CRT?

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Even in the CRT-world there are those using and liking CRT's for reasons other than black levels. While digital technology is getting better and I could be somewhat happy with certain features of the HT1000, I am a CRT-person because of my fondness for black levels, not gray levels.

So, if you can live with loss of black levels then its a fine projector. And if Bob is shooting 70" then why bother? Heck, one could get a 73" RPTV and have a masterful time with it, even in environments with less than right lighting control.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
wanman,

Remember, RPTV screen size is measured diagonally. My 70" WIDE picture has quite a bit more screen area than the 73" RPTV.

Not to mention that the big RPTV is expensive. And takes up a huge footprint.

kaanage,

True. The XGA resolution will make for visible pixelation when image sizes are comparable to what we're used to with 8"/9" CRT. So for that reason alone XGA DLP is not for everyone. However, I actually prefer the 70" wide picture at 1.75x so it's very acceptable to me.

Maggie Guy,

In eco mode (which is what most of us prefer anyway because it provides the best low end rendition) the HT1000 is rated at 2000 hours lamp life.

The bulb costs about $400 now. So the operating cost is about 20 cents per hour (or 30 cents for an average length movie).

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Since we're putting DLP on the examination table, let's do it warts and all.

I'm surprised wanman hasn't mentioned it, but there is another bugaboo with DLP that is pretty objectionable to some. It's one of those things that you won't notice immediately, but once you do it's not pretty. And then you begin to notice it often.

Texas Instruments (who fathered the DMD panel) calls it "temporal dithering" and has acknowledged it to be a problem.

The short of it is... when a scene (darker scene usually but not necessarily) is panning, you can see what looks similiar to a decrease in color depth. Objects or background in the image begin to look posterized

for lack of a better term. It's seen during the panning and when the panning stops the image returns to normal.

Like rainbow and screendoor, it becomes more visible as the image size increases. That's why I prefer to keep the picture down to 1.75x subtended*

So DLP does have warts. And hopefully TI will be able to overcome some of these warts over time.

* I sure do like that word, Guy (am I using it correctly?). :D

Bob

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.