AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal. I'm trying to use my 3D softwares that I own. When I use hdmi by itself, I get ghosting. Only way to fix this is a dvi to hdmi adapter. This happened also with my radeon 5450. Now the ghosting is happening again with my 6950. Seems to be a Radeon thing.

The only thing that I've found that fixes the ghosting in the past, is using the dvi port on my video card and treat it with a dvi to hdmi adapter. Problebm now though is no matter what I try I get no signal. Funniest part is I've tried multiple resolutions that are compatible with my tv. Most notably 1920x1080. Seems like it's not a resolution problem. I've tried booting windows with 640x480 and scaling from there. I've been looking up and trying to fix this for the past four hours. I'm tired, I'm going to ed.

I have a saphire Radeon HD6950

Tv is a mitsubishi wd-60c10

Any information you need I'm here. I just want my dvi to hdmi adapter to display to my television............I feel like I've been to hell and back. I even updated the firmware on the tv. Please help!

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You need to get 2D working fine from your PC to your TV first by sending 1080i/60 2D content using your DVI-HDMI adapter. When you switch to 3D what format/resolution do you plan on using from your PC to your TV? It almost souds like you are seing 3D on your TV without glases and the ghosting is caused by the left and right eye images Wne you see ghosting have you tried covering one eye?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford  /t/1415947/ive-tried-everything-dvi-hdmi#post_22139012

You need to get 2D working fine from your PC to your TV first by sending 1080i/60 2D content using your DVI-HDMI adapter. When you switch to 3D what format/resolution do you plan on using from your PC to your TV? It almost souds like you are seing 3D on your TV without glases and the ghosting is caused by the left and right eye images Wne you see ghosting have you tried covering one eye?

First, let me state what I really want. My goal is really to get straight hdmi working with no ghosting. If you can help with that with the information I provide below then we can forget this dvi-hdmi crap. I hate it.

I really want to go pure hdmi from the computer to the tv!!!!!!!! I've never tried to diagnose the problem of ghosting using hdmi-hdmi with my tridef software I bought. Your insight and information would be absolutely invaluable. Please help me get a pure hdmi solution!!!!!! It's not just tridef either. Any 3d software I tried has this problem with pure hdmi ghosting.

Now let me explain what I was talking about. I simply tried getting a signal by connecting from my computer directly in my tv with the two dvi-hdmi adapters I possess. Neither adapter got any signal. Then I tried a dvi-vga cable and the display turned on just fine!!

I assumed it was a adapter problem since I'm getting a display from the vga adapter and assumed the other two adapters were multifunctional. Keep in mind, two different adapters, two different brands, no luck.

I recently bought another dvi-hdmi adapter because I noticed that both adapters had small visible problems. Like one had a slightly recessed prong, and the other was from best buy and never really worked fine ever; very problematic. However, both adapters used to work (with small problems) before I suddenly got this problem. The no signal from the dvi-hdmi adapters just came out of the blue.

I should also note that my previous amd video card had the same problem with pure hdmi ghosting as well. It was also a 6xxx series. So I stuck with dvi-hdmi adapters because they were the only thing that worked with 3D. Now nothing works. I feel like I've tried everything within my knowledge!

I tried selecting 1080i/60 like you suggested, but it's not an available resolution in catalyst. I tried 1080i/30 but no luck. What resolution would I like to use? I'd like to use 1080p/60 pure hdmi. That would be ideal for me. Anything lower within reason is fine too. I'm only about five feet away so a lower resolution won't bother me.

My brand new adapter will be here this week but I'm very concerned that it won't work. In my experience, if two adapters don't work, something is wrong with your configuration, not the adapter. I'm sure you'll agree.

Summary:

Tried to get a signal from computer to tv with two different dvi-hdmi adapters since pure hdmi gives ghosting. After extensive trial and error I used a dvi-vga adapter that displayed immediately. I assumed it was the adapters fault so I ordered a new one that will arrive this week but I TRULY want pure hdmi with no ghosting. If you can help me with that I'd very much appreciate it.

P.S.

When putting a hand over one eye what am I looking for?

When I put my hand over one eye it's like I'm not even wearing the glasses. They are dlp glasses with no IR emitter

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Try sending the 3D to your DLP TV in frame sequential 720p format which AFAIK is supported by the TRIDef software

Are you sure the batteries in your glases are fully charged and turned on?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, it displays 3D WITH ghosting. The glasses are fine, I even swapped the batteries.

What is frame sequential and how do I enable it? I should also mention that my tv uses checkerboard format.

I should note again that it's not limited to tridef. I get ghosting with everything via hdmi whether it's youtube, cyberlink powerdvd, tridef. Name it. I did some google searching on enabling frame sequential and I couldn't find anything that related to me. Your help is very much appreciated. I REALLY want hdmi 3D

Edit: After some more googling is seems that frame sequential is not the format I need to display. My tv displays in checkerboard format. Please excuse my ignorance. I don't know that much about 3D but I really appreciate your guys willingness to read this and respond back as quick as you do.

Additional information which may be helpful.

My display adapter is set to 59 hz. No matter what I do when I try to set it to 60 hz, it defaults back to 59 hz. I have maximum overscan set in Catalyst control center. My resolution is 1776x1000. I tried 1080p as well but there's less ghosting with 1776x1000. I'm running the latest Radeon Drivers. Anything else you need to know, let me know!!

If you wanna teamview too. I'm down for that.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Your overscan compensation setting in CCC should be set to 0 and overscan should be disabled in the TV it it can be.

I believe your TV has two 3D option Checkerboard or frame sequential but I am not sure what the frame sequential (or full side by side seting is called.

I do not know how to use the TriDef software but I do know that it can output frame sequential 3D mode.

720p Frame Sequential is sending a full 720p left eye frame followed by a full 720p right eye frame.

Unless you have a way to create checkerboard format output you can not use it for input to the TV check the software you own to see if it can create checkerboard. Checkerboard is a single 1080p frame containg both a 1920x540 left eye partial frame(black checkere) and a a 1920x540 partial right eye frame(red checkers).

What is the source of the 3D content you are trying to send to the TV?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Video games, movies are the source. So they are rendered both in hugely different ways but both suffer ghosting. Both suffer ghosting with hdmi. Still no dvi-hdmi solution too btw. Tried 3 different hdmi cables. Brand new dvi-hdmi adapter with two alternatives so I've rooted out the hardware. Sorry for the late reply. I'm trying to keep away from the computer as much as possible through the 4th. Beer. You're really knowledgeable :)

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Your TV does not accept properly any of the mandatory HDMI 1.4a 3D formats. It only will accept frame sequential or checkerboard.

When you send it standard 1080/60 or 1080p/p content it thinks it is receiving frame sequential content so the left eye and the right eye are receiving information from 2 different time and therfore you get ghosting.

If none of the S3D softare you have enables you to output Checkerboard you could use a Mits 3D adapter to convert the 3D formated content you have to checkerboard. I do not know if the following is still available.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So there's no settings I can switch to make it right? I really don't have the money to buy that adapter. Hence why I bought the software. I guess I can deal with dvi-hdmi but it's disabled at the moment. Anything?? I love 3D!! It seems that you are dead set on frame sequential. I was told checkerboard over and over. Perhaps if I enable frame sequential somehow in the tridef software I'll get no ghosting?

What are the other ways to reference frame sequential so I can change my config properly. Still don't have tv access at the moment

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where are you getting this frame sequential from? I googled and all indicators say that my tv only supports checkerboard. I'm confused. I'm currently shooting emails back and forth to tridef hoping for a solution. I'm trying my best to figure this out now that I'm back home. Freaking ghosting.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've used cyberlink power dvd trial. Same thing. Same thing with youtube that supports checkerboard too. I'm definitely sending checkerboard. Says on the screen.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgonepostl  /t/1415947/ive-tried-everything-dvi-hdmi/0_70#post_22208563

I've used cyberlink power dvd trial. Same thing. Same thing with youtube that supports checkerboard too. I'm definitely sending checkerboard. Says on the screen.
Ok so yoiu are sending [email protected] checkerboard over HDMI and your TV is set for 3D with DLP link. The problem appears to be with the response time of your DLP glasses or their ability to be totally opaque when "closed" since you only see one image when covering one eye.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First of all.I just want to state that I don't know much. If it's my glasses fault though. How come I only get the ghosting when using pure hdmi but when I use dvi-hdmi everythings fine? Crazy. I don't want to buy another pair of glasses unless I'm absolutely sure it's the glasses fault. Kinda low on cash

Thanks for sticking with me this whole time. You accept bitcoins? :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I mean if you're sure. I just checked amazon and I can return it and get a pair of glasses with an ir emitter.instead of interfacing via dlp link. I'm sketchy on this because it worked just fine with a dvi-hdmi adapter no problem. So how could it be the glasses? Hey man, you want to just use teamviewer? i'll pay you for your time. I'm sure you can fix this problem up in no time!! Lemme know!

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Good point I agree it does not appear to be the glasses.

Have you tried useing Mute on the TV since you are not using audio from the DVI connection.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The dvi connection no longer works. I've tried four different adapters. Dvi-vga works though. Fml..........I just want 3d to work you know? I didn't mind dvi-hdmi until it just STOPPED WORKING. Of course as you know hdmi connection gives ghosting. It's the craziest thing. It seems to be hardware independent problem but why does a vga adapter work but not an hdmi adapter? That sorta thing messes with my logic.

I even bought another hdmi cable. Got stellar reviews on amazon and is 3d capable. No luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So somewhat good news. I did what I should have done a long time ago. I feel like an idiot. I swapped video cards and used my dvi-hdmi adapter and guess what?! It worked!! Problem is I can't use this video card. It's a 5450 and is way to under powered to play video games. I would prefer a pure hdmi solution but anything at this point. Do you think this justifies sending in my video card for a replacement? I think it does. Here's the important part though. The dvi-vga adapter works fine. How does that make any sense?

Summary: swapped out video cards to a 5450. dvi-hdmi pumped video flawlessly. Swapped back to my 6950 and it does something weird. dvi-vga works just fine. Dvi-hdmi does not. Freakin crazy. Hopefully you can help.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts