AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 5040 at best buy and I have it connected to cable internet BUT NOT thru a router. I have 2 network cards in my home computer one is connected to the cable modem and the other connected to a Ethernet 4 port switch. Into the switch I have my XBOX and another computer and now my 5040. Both the computer and my XBOX connect to the net great. I play internet games on both CPU's and my XBOX. I have requested a test clip a few times but my 5040 will not receive them. I have connected to another user with the 5040 and it downloads the channel guide fine but I cant receive videos. I am using the windows XP firewall. Any help??

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I would say simplify your network by adding a router to the setup. You'll eliminate one of the cards from your computer and not need to have the computer up ALL the time. You can pick up a cheap router for under $30 at which point you can setup port forwarding properly and get IVS working.

Otherwise, you'll need to work with XP on your computer to open a port through your firewall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a router a few weeks back and returned it for a different brand and then returned that one because I cant get enough ports open to play the games that I want to play..... I have a few other questions to add to my intial post.... Does the sender need to know the port that is open? Can 2 things use the same open port (like my XBOX and the Replay)? Which port needs open the TCP or the UDP?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattress74
I bought a router a few weeks back and returned it for a different brand and then returned that one because I cant get enough ports open to play the games that I want to play.....
Try buying Linksys...

Quote:
I have a few other questions to add to my intial post.... Does the sender need to know the port that is open?
No.
Quote:

Can 2 things use the same open port (like my XBOX and the Replay)?
Not sure... but it doesn't matter... you can chose from a huge range of ports for the Replay so this shouldn't be an issue in the Replay setup.

Quote:

Which port needs open the TCP or the UDP?
Both, I believe.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plyons10
Try buying Linksys...

Not sure... but it doesn't matter... you can chose from a huge range of ports for the Replay so this shouldn't be an issue in the Replay setup.

Both, I believe.
Linksys works great--that's what I use.

Do not use the same open port for two devices. It will cause no end of trouble. Basically when somebody accesses your IP:port config from the Internet, traffic will be routed to the unit with that port mapped. If you map more than one unit its like saying that two houses have identical addresses right down to ZIP code but in different places. Where would the mail end up?

TCP is the only protocol needed.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Quote:
How could this work as described? The port needs to be forwarded to a single IP. An X-box and a replay would have different IPs no matter what. So... the suggestion of using different ports would be the only way to go.

And you need a router to do the port forwarding.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Also there's a list of routers here that support loopback. If you really want to do IVS and not inhouse video streaming then make sure you get a router that supports loopback if you want to be sending shows between two replays on your LAN.

·
Registered
915 Posts
You an also try a quick test on your XP box if you haven't already purchased the router. I agree, the router's the best way to go, but IVS can work via the ICS software in XP as well. I don't know how the XP firewall affects ICS...

But, to forward a port using ICS in XP...

Go to properties for the network card connected to the Internet, not your LAN card.

Click on the Advanced Tab.

Click on settings in the bottom right corner.

Click Add.

Enter a name (any name), enter the IP of your ReplayTV, and for the external and internal port, enter the port # you've specified on the Replaytv. So, if you picked port 40000, enter that in both fields.

Choose the TCP radio button.

Save.

This should allow forwarding of traffice received on port 40000 to your ReplayTV. But, again, the Router is the best way to go. That way, you don't need to worry about the flakiness of ICS nor do you need your computer to always be on for IVS to work.

Lyndon

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
Also there's a list of routers here that support loopback. If you really want to do IVS and not inhouse video streaming then make sure you get a router that supports loopback if you want to be sending shows between two replays on your LAN.
again... Linksys!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
How could this work as described? The port needs to be forwarded to a single IP. An X-box and a replay would have different IPs no matter what. So... the suggestion of using different ports would be the only way to go.

And you need a router to do the port forwarding.
Presumably you are dealing with a single public IP that is being shared by a bunch of private IPs. Lets say that your public IP is 12.345.678.9 (an impossible IP) and you have a 5 devices with private IPs ranging from 192.168.1.1-5. Lets say that you have your router set to forward traffic coming into port 10000 and then you have two private IPs that are set up to get traffic from that same port.

So, the call comes to the public IP 12.345.678.9:10000 and the router says Aha! I need to forward this traffic! But it finds that TWO private IPs are supposed to get this traffic. It jacks things up.

Make sense?

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech
Presumably you are dealing with a single public IP that is being shared by a bunch of private IPs. Lets say that your public IP is 12.345.678.9 (an impossible IP) and you have a 5 devices with private IPs ranging from 192.168.1.1-5. Lets say that you have your router set to forward traffic coming into port 10000 and then you have two private IPs that are set up to get traffic from that same port.

So, the call comes to the public IP 12.345.678.9:10000 and the router says Aha! I need to forward this traffic! But it finds that TWO private IPs are supposed to get this traffic. It jacks things up.

Make sense?

Matthew in CO.
Clear as mud. It sounds like you are in agreement with me.

What would the address of 12.345.678.9:10000 forward to? 1,2,3,4 or 5?

I don't see how one port could be used by two private IP's. I don't see the point, but I'm not a network guru. The only way I could see this working would be if there was one IP on that port that then dispatched to two other local IPs, maybe dependant on the protocal or something.

I just don't understand if you agree or disagree with me. Can it work or not? I say not.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
I just don't understand if you agree or disagree with me. Can it work or not? I say not.
I am also confused by his post, but it looks like he is agreeing with you. I just don't think he realized exactly what you were trying to say. In any case, I agree that forwarding the same port to two different IP addresses is a bad idea and will lead to undesirable results, if the router even lets you do it at all.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Quote:

I don't see how one port could be used by two private IP's. I don't see the point, but I'm not a network guru. The only way I could see this working would be if there was one IP on that port that then dispatched to two other local IPs, maybe dependant on the protocal or something.

It may be a bit confusing but I'm not convinced by everyone that it's impossible. I mean... this is a router for chirssake. What's the problem here? Network traffic comes in and is "repeated" (remember hubs?) to both IPs. Isn't that something network hardware does all the time? Now.. I'm not saying that something else down the line doesn't mess it all up, but as far as getting the traffic there, I don't see why a simple router couldn't handle that.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:

Re-reading your post, I'm agreeing with you. Its not a wise move to use port forwarding on a single public IP to more than one private IP. It jacks things up, it won't work correctly.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Quote:
It may be a bit confusing but I'm not convinced by everyone that it's impossible. I mean... this is a router for chirssake. What's the problem here? Network traffic comes in and is "repeated" (remember hubs?) to both IPs. Isn't that something network hardware does all the time? Now.. I'm not saying that something else down the line doesn't mess it all up, but as far as getting the traffic there, I don't see why a simple router couldn't handle that.

Not that it changes the functionality you describe, but most routers are switched, and therefore streamline the traffic by passing packets in a streamlined process to the target. Not that it could send one packet to two destinations, but like I said before.... I'm not a network guru. I just know enough to make everything here work. =)

I see the point that it could be done. I just don't think I've ever seen router software that allowed it. Nor can I understand why you'd want to do this. With roughly 65000 ports, why even worry about it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.