AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my solution setup this weekend and I love it!

Infocus X1, 100" diameter @ 4:3

Connected to HTPC: AMD Duron 900Mhz, 256 Meg, ATI Radeon 7200, 40Gb, Hauppage PVR 250

Cabling: 50ft VGA cable

Software: Mandrake 9.2, IVTV, XMLTV, MythTV (+ most plugins)

As is obvious I used existing parts to build the PC. I received the PVR250 on Friday and worked over the weekend to get it all installed. Took some time but overall it was easy.

The instructions that come with MythTV are great.

Also installed Freevo, but decided I liked MythTV better.

My next step will be to get the remote working, but I found out lirc doesn't like the kernel I build (some more work to do there). After that the interface to my digital cable box so I can get to the channels above 99. And after I get more memory get the webinterface working (requires apache) so I can schedule recordings from my hacked Audrey (qnx os).

What are my issues now? need more memory, in normal operations the system uses around 230Mb that doesn't leave much for actual activity and I don't want MySQL to start swapping to disk. Then the serial or IR interface to my digital cablebox, the second PVR 250 and then there will be diskspace issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, like I thought I said, I chose MythTV over Freevo.

I installed Freevo just to see what it was like and to be able to make up my own mind. After trying both I decided MythTV was the better choice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nuthead
Could you describe why you chose Freevo over Myth please?

I use Myth also, but never tried Freevo.
Hi,

I'm one of those that haven't decided between those two and I'm currently thinking how to combine them. Freevo is much more fun, it has cleaner plugin architecture that can be more easily extended in Python (Mythtv you have to deal with C). Mythtv Live TV buffering, streaming, multiple frontend architecture is awesome. So currently I'm thinking of having mythtv for live TV and maybe Freevo for the rest....

HTH,

Robert.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
You shouldn't really need more than 256mb for memory, IF you are only running MythTV (and the usual items Mandrake loads). I ran Myth with only 256mb for over 6 months without swapping. If you check the mailinglist archives, you will see this comes up every so often.

Linux is a bit differnt than Windows, it always uses as much memory as possible. It's there, why not use it? Just because 'top' reports all of your memory is in use, does not mean that it is on the verge of swapping. Try this, with your current config, alt-tab over to the desktop and load Mozilla or whatever. With this loaded, play with Myth and see if you need more memory. I doubt it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with you on the more effective use of resources by Linux over windows, meaning it will use all it has to get the best possible performance.

But if I load apache with all the extension I need (and some I want) then it starts swapping. That's why my statement about having to get more memory, not so much for Myth as for all the pieces around it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
You can tune apache to use somewhat less memory. However I agree, apache with numerous extensions can use up a ton of memory. Wait til you add in some Tomcat stuff and watch the JVM eat memory. Besides memory is currently CHEAP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.