AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new guy looking for help. Just a little background, I have no past knowledge of subs other than what I have been to pick up reading these threads. I am leaning towards building the IXL 18 Easy Button. I have a question about the port. Would it be acceptable if I were to replace the current setup with a 8 in x 37.3 in port to get a tuning of 15Hz. Based on my calcs the net volume of the box would change to approx 383L. I was modeling the driver in WinISD and it looks pretty good to me. Can anyone tell me if there are any problems with making these changes? I will also be powering the sub with a ep2500.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dan. Just to show my lack of knowledge on this, what exactly does a subsonic filter do? Would I need the filter if I did the build as you designed it?

John

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If (and you will) get signal that is below the tuning of the box (any action dvd), the driver has no suspension, and will bottom out. At higher power, it will damage it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the subsonic filter eliminates signals below the tuning frequency. If so, I think I am finally understanding why people go with such low tuning frequencies in their builds.

Could someone please post a link to a subsonic filter?

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts