AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is for the folks ready to pull the trigger on the IXL 18.4, or really anyone looking for a solid 400 liter box on the cheap, I plan on posting a revision allowing for a shorter port, for those that might object to the ~37 3/4" oal on the port, the center brace needs to be a little different, a minor adjustment.

If you can set the fence on the saw for 24", 23 1/4", 11 3/8", & 10 3/8", and use a circle jig, your good to go

I've got to give Vito props for the motivation to do this one, I like to go BIG, but this was what made sense to me for his setup.

Stats:

24 3/4" H&D by 49" L

~403 Liters as drawn

6" SCH 40 port of variable length up to 37 1/2" as drawn

Tuning ~11.5Hz as drawn

Looks harder than it actually is

You only need 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF to build this box.

First sheet gets cut into 24" wide strips

Second sheet is cut into 23 1/4" strips

The 23 1/4" strips are then run thru the saw again to make 23 1/4" squares

Take 5 of the 23 1/4" squares and cut 20" holes on center

Take 2 of the peices with 20" holes and rip them down to 11 3/8"

Take one of the halves and rip it again at 10 3/8"

I will post later on the port instalation and driver cutout

Later

Dan

Reactions: CZ Eddie

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If anyone sees a way to do this cleaner, speak up

This box is for YOU FOLKS, Ideas are welcome

Later

Dan

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Lovely, absolutely lovely.
I like how you explain each cut. Bravo!

Please Dan, do make adjustments.

I seconed the comments, suggestions from everyone.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
How about adding a FR simulation given the box size, tune, etc....

·
Registered
602 Posts
Nicely done Dan. Round those ends if you can. Do you have a permanent location to hold this info?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogowski /forum/post/0

Nicely done Dan. Do you have a permanent location to hold this info?

Offtopic:

Hey, is the IXL a drop-in for the Mach5's or am I going to need to drill new mounting holes?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ha! I knew you were going to ask that.

They are *very* close if not bang-on. If you didn't flush mount your drivers I can't see a problem with doing a drop-in. I'll verify it tomorrow with one of my test boxen...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't have hard data to support this, but i have to believe rounding over all the holes / semi circles of the internal bracing has to substantially increase the airflow within the cabinet. The sharp edged holes will create significant turbulance at the airflow rates and volumes these "air engines" are generating.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogowski /forum/post/0

Nicely done Dan. Round those ends if you can. Do you have a permanent location to hold this info?

Mark,

I'm all about the roundover , but.....

I've olny got a few months of self-taught CAD under my belt, but I'm thinking Google Sketchup won't do roundover on a radius. If you, or anyone else for that matter could help me understand how to do that i'd really appreciate it. I do intend to convert the refined end result into a .pdf file format. I'd be happy to send it your way.

Since you the man to ask, may I have the measurement for the proper depth of cut to flushmount the driver, I'm drawing it with a 16.75" mounting hole and a 18.25" ID recess, but i'm missing the depth figure. I also need an accurate as possible figure for driver displacement, I eyeballed it at 4.25 liters.

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Collo,

Thanks, this is gonna be fun.

I never even knew that tool existed.

Mabey someone will arange for a group buy on 1.25" and 1.5" round-over bits, LOL.

Later

Dan

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Collo,

my puter just went to lunch, I drew a Torus @ 180 degrees of resolution on both axis, that's 32,763 entries. I thought it was never gonna get done LOL

Do you go by Bill or do you prefer Collo?

thanks again

Dan

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
32" OAL port and revised brace

·
Registered
138 Posts
No worries Dan, I enjoyed writing it up. I use "Collo" in various forums, so I stick with that as my public persona, although I tend to reply to emails and pm's as Bill.

Those big roundover bits work well for flaring ports and smoothing braces. You need to do the cuts in severaral shallow passes though - get too hungry and the bit will dig in.. just too scary with a powerful router!

I imagine your design will become quite popular, as people just starting out like to have plans to work from.

You might re-work one of the braces to act as a support for the port. Apart from that, well done!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just to clarify things - I was referring to rounding over the port ends, and not the braces. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Dan, please give me a day or two to get that info you ask. I wanted to get the mounting for Crack but simply ran out of time today...

m

·
Premium Member
23,869 Posts
Very clever and efficient use of material.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I think their ought to be a support for the free end of the vent.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Yes Dan, please rework the braces showing port support. And when your done, give cut details on any revised parts.

Great job Dan!

·
Registered
602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan /forum/post/0

Mark,

I'm all about the roundover , but.....

I've olny got a few months of self-taught CAD under my belt, but I'm thinking Google Sketchup won't do roundover on a radius. If you, or anyone else for that matter could help me understand how to do that i'd really appreciate it. I do intend to convert the refined end result into a .pdf file format. I'd be happy to send it your way.

Since you the man to ask, may I have the measurement for the proper depth of cut to flushmount the driver, I'm drawing it with a 16.75" mounting hole and a 18.25" ID recess, but i'm missing the depth figure. I also need an accurate as possible figure for driver displacement, I eyeballed it at 4.25 liters.

Thanks

Dan

Ok, the height of the basket lip is 9mm and the total height (which includes the basket lip and the neoprene trim gasket) is 15mm.

The displacement of the driver is 0.43 cubes or 12 litres.

Best,

Mark

1 - 20 of 217 Posts