AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I am seeing some higher port velocities at and leading up to the tuning frequency, this is nice for a small enclosure, but I really like 600L with an 8" port, get rid of that noise.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Quote:
The displacement of the driver is 0.43 cubes or 12 litres.

Mark,

I know i've got dyslexic tendencys, 4.3 liters? 12 liters is huge, like the SD for the driver x 116mm depth, I think your over double the displacement at 12 liters.

Quote:
I am seeing some higher port velocities at and leading up to the tuning frequency, this is nice for a small enclosure, but I really like 600L with an 8" port, get rid of that noise.

Army,

sure 600L and a 8" port looks better for the most part. That's not what this is all about.

For me this box and Scotts RL-p build are about what can be done within the limits of 2 and 3 sheets of MDF, that don't require advanced assembly technique or knowledge.

So when someone wanders in and says, "Hey what box can "I" build that will make that new IXL whip azz in my HT setup?" there will be at least a solid "stock design" to use outright, or as a reference to improve upon.

For someone who is new to DIY it's easier to recruit help when you've got a solid plan. It seems virtually everyone knows someone with most of the tools and enough skill to execute the build properly, and more often than not that builder with the tools has never built a subwoofer due to lack of design knowledge or plans.

My goal is to make the build so easy to execute properly that, when a builder is approached with the plans, it's almost imposable to turn it down. We all know the results are addictive, and once that box is heard it's all down hill from there...

I'll finish the port support details tonight

Later

Dan

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey guys, newer dude here. Just want to offer my help, to you, and any project. I have 4 years of cad under my belt. You send me rough sketches with important (critical) dimensions, and I'll pour you a tall glass of finshed production sketches. On the house, My current job normally leaves me with soo much free time ( I often feel guilty - then I regain sanity). So, offers on the table. You email me rough sketches, and I'll give you production drawings, 3d models, renderings, what ever you need. Just remember I will need critical dimensions, not just box dimensions, give me what I need. Driver specs, dimensions, how you want it to be mounted, get me a napkin with good solid dimensions, and I'll put something together.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think some of the dimensions are off. If you cut the one sheet into four 24" x 49" pieces to use as the large sides, the box will end up being 24" x 25.5" x 51.5". Also, the height of your half circle braces would have to be 24". The other dimension of the interior of the box would then be 22.5"

·
Registered
602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan /forum/post/0

Mark,

I know i've got dyslexic tendencys, 4.3 liters? 12 liters is huge, like the SD for the driver x 116mm depth, I think your over double the displacement at 12 liters.

Later

Dan

Yes, you're right Dan, thanks for the catch. Its actually 0.21 cubes or 5.9 litres.

My fault for doing up calcs before coffee...

Best,

Mark

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corejonp1 /forum/post/0

Hey guys, newer dude here. Just want to offer my help, to you, and any project. I have 4 years of cad under my belt. You send me rough sketches with important (critical) dimensions, and I'll pour you a tall glass of finshed production sketches. On the house, My current job normally leaves me with soo much free time ( I often feel guilty - then I regain sanity). So, offers on the table. You email me rough sketches, and I'll give you production drawings, 3d models, renderings, what ever you need. Just remember I will need critical dimensions, not just box dimensions, give me what I need. Driver specs, dimensions, how you want it to be mounted, get me a napkin with good solid dimensions, and I'll put something together.

Does this offer extend beyond just the IXL driver and enclosure in this thread? I'm good at drawing stuff, not to scale, on a paper but I'm pretty much the suck at both CAD and photoshop.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
corejonp1,

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it. I need to draw as much as possible so i can get better at it

Adamms,
thanks for taking the time to actually check it out. It is not put together the way you were thinking that's how the panels got to be that way.

Mark,

I've been feeling the same way lately, 24-7

Everyone,

Here's how you cut the port support and brace

I'll revise the instructions above and edit the post

·
Registered
602 Posts
Those are great pictures Dan. If you want/need a permanent location for them I'll ask my buddy if he can host them for you...

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Mark,

thanks

I am such a burnout, now that I look at the port brace, i'm thinking about changing it

Later

Dan

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Dan, a thought.

What do you think making the port rest on the center rear wall brace?

Excuse my "art".

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Vito,

when I started this, I was thinking about just attaching it with a blob of construction adhesive or some of the "Ultimate Glue", so yea I'd say as long as the brace gives good support to the back wall and top you could do just about anything there

This stuff will hold nearly anything

Later

Dan

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Excellent work.

I look forward to seeing more of your "Easy Button" designs.

This is the stuff that really can stimulate the DIY scene.

Thanks for your contributions.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I need to redo this as i think it's coming up at about 380L, I would hold off on it, I'll be thinning out the internal braces a 'lil bit

Hopefully I'll be able to get it done over the weekend, I've got to finish up with that port project, then this and a few others

Dan

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Good Dan! I'm not ready to build yet.

I think 11hz is too low. Most movies rarely go under 15hz. Anyway, come up with something you think will be a great overall package.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Vito,

aside from extended response lower tuning allows for:

lower vent velocity and less compresion related distortion in the pass band

less load on the driver above tuning, allowing it to actually move some air in your room.

We pay for long xmax, why not actually use it in a productive way?

I think the 6" id port is small, and to top it off the higher you tune the larger the port needs to be to keep vent velocity/compression/noise acceptably low.

I suggest you pick a maximum port length based on what you consider the allowable lower limit for port resonance, a 6" x 27" port resonates at ~208Hz, I've been informed 200Hz is the cutoff

Port size vs box volume:

6" x 27" it takes 584 Liters to get an 11Hz tune, switch to 8" port and the tuning goes up to 14.25Hz. It takes a volume of 980 Liters to get the tuning back down to 11Hz with the 8" x 27" port, it's all realtive.

And to top it all off the 8" x 27" port has a resonance of ~195Hz, that some will tell you is no good.

Pick your comprimise, or go big

Later

Dan

21 - 40 of 217 Posts