AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Scott,

you are so close to done, what are you doing reading my thread? You better be waiting for glue to dry!
Now get back to work

Funnay, I never would have pictured you surrounded by hot moms all day, that's really cool

you know i'm just busting your chops

Later

Dan

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Dan, do I have this right? We're going BIGGER?

I agree to use what the driver has to offer, but 584l?
What happened to the original plan or the 380l proposal?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Vito,

I'm just bitching about how I think tuning lower is the way to go

The box will remain the same basic size, i'mmnna tweek it to get the most volume possible.

Dan

·
Registered
3,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan /forum/post/0

Vito,

I'm just bitching about how I think tuning lower is the way to go

The box will remain the same basic size, i'mmnna tweek it to get the most volume possible.

Dan

Alrighty then....

·
Premium Member
24,842 Posts
"aside from extended response lower tuning allows for:

lower vent velocity and less compresion related distortion in the pass band

less load on the driver above tuning, allowing it to actually move some air in your room."

Hmm.

Lower vent velocity but higher woofer excursion/higher distortion

"less load on the driver above tuning, allowing it to actually move some air in your room."

I don't get this one at all; maybe start with defining "load".

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts

Quote:
Scott,

you are so close to done, what are you doing reading my thread? You better be waiting for glue to dry! Now get back to work

Ah yes...but I needed a break for the week. Worked a bit everyday. So I went and saw Transformers yesterday since I hadnt and in the spirit of these soon-to-be-finished subs, I had to go see a bassy movie.
But I really was letting the glue dry and cure overnight and now both baffles have the extra mounting blocks on them.

Quote:
Funnay, I never would have pictured you surrounded by hot moms all day, that's really cool

you know i'm just busting your chops

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Dan,

Based on his 350l tuned to 15hz EBS suggestion, Mark from Mach5 says a 6.5" or 7" would work better. So would a 8" work for your design?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Vito,
Quote:
Based on his 350l tuned to 15hz EBS suggestion, Mark from Mach5 says a 6.5" or 7" would work better. So would a 8" work for your design?

I think you should be asking Mark, I say 8" is too big, 350L @15Hz using 8" is ~45" long.

IDK but people around here start complaining when vent lengths get past ~26"

noah,

substitute the word resistance, mabey that'll make more sense to you.

Also, this might not be the place for you to be hanging out if your looking for low excursion

Mabey one of those folded horns would be better for you

Matt & Jim,

That's transparent aluminum encrusted with gemstones

Later

Dan

·
Premium Member
24,842 Posts
Dan,

Actually it doesn't matter which word, it still doesn't make sense to me.

Your statement was

"aside from extended response lower tuning allows for:

lower vent velocity and less compresion related distortion in the pass band

less load on the driver above tuning, allowing it to actually move some air in your room."

Why would the driver move more air at a given freq by moving the tuning point below it?

Driver excursion will increase because more of the output is directly from it instead of the port, but system SPL, efficiency, and max output capability are reduced.

·
Registered
734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod /forum/post/0

Is anyone thinking of doing this project?

i was just looking over at mach5's site checking on prices and then decided to head over here and see what kind of designs might be floating around. so, i may go with this one as it looks like an easy build and i need a driver/s that will move some air. would this single driver design outperform two of the mj18's in a proper enclosure?

i fairly recently built a llt sonosub design which goes very low (12" lms tc built sub). i wouldn't mind having a little reinforcement down there as well but really need upper bass that will fill a large room. my current llt will shake the living p1ss out of the floors and let you really feel what's happening, but it's not very audible in this large room.

i don't wanna threadjack this, so if need be i'll start a new thread regarding my Q's involving/comparing this with other options. i'm just looking to build something pretty budget minded that will donkey kick me in the chest.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Has this died or is a redesign/tweak effort on-going? I just ordered an IXL 18.4 this morning, and as my first DIY project, this looks to fit the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan /forum/post/0

6" SCH 40 port of variable length up to 37 1/2" as drawn

Can someone explain this a bit. I'm guessing it's a chunk of 6" pipe, but what's SCH 40 and what's variable about the length?

Sorry... I am teh noob.

Also, I plugged the numbers into WinISD and see the "vent mach" is at 0.18 which is above the recommended ceiling of 0.16. Not that I know what that really means, but seems to me that there may be a bit of port noise. The 7 or 8" port brings the mach down considerably, but... Comments?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I'm guessing that Dan is either too busy, on vacation, or bailed out. I'm hoping it's not the latter. Dan told me, he's working on a redesign. We have to wait and see.

Mark at Mach5 suggested a 6.5 or 7" port diameter. The port resonance with the 6.5 to 197hz and the 7" to 258hz.

·
Registered
433 Posts
SCH 40 means Schedule 40 PVC pipe. There are 2 kinds of PVC pipe. Schedule 40 is the thin wall type and Schedule 80 is the thickwall type. The length of pipe in this design is 37.5 inches. That will tune the box to 11.5 hz. The "variable" part is to use a shorter length of pipe to tune the box to a higher frequency. I don't think the vent mach of 0.18 is an issue. You might hear some port noise playing test tones but I doubt it would be a problem with program material.

·
Registered
593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uklit /forum/post/0

SCH 40 means Schedule 40 PVC pipe. There are 2 kinds of PVC pipe. Schedule 40 is the thin wall type and Schedule 80 is the thickwall type. The length of pipe in this design is 37.5 inches. That will tune the box to 11.5 hz. The "variable" part is to use a shorter length of pipe to tune the box to a higher frequency. I don't think the vent mach of 0.18 is an issue. You might hear some port noise playing test tones but I doubt it would be a problem with program material.

Thanks. Makes sense. I see you're in Sask too... I'm assuming SCH 40 pipe is pretty common. HD? Rona?

I figured that's what 'variable' meant, but I thought maybe there was something crazy like a dynamic port you could slide like a trombone and get different tuning on the fly.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Hey fellas,

sorry i've been away so long.

The schedule 40 pipe is the "normal everyday" PVC pipe you'll find at the Home Depot. You could use virtually any 6" ID pipe with no problems, another option is SDR 35 it's the thin wall stuff used for drainage tile, lots at times it's green and it also comes in a perforated version.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Vito,

did you typo?
Quote:
The port resonance with the 6.5 to 197hz and the 7" to 258hz.

for a given length of port, the larger the ID the lower the pipe resonance, & at the same time the larger ID the higher the box will be tuned.

If i'm back home at a reasonable hour i'll see about the revision

Later

Dan

41 - 60 of 217 Posts